Need some help..."Connection was refused.. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need some help..."Connection was refused..

txwrangler
07-01-2005, 08:18
I'm pretty well computer illiterate, so here goes... I bought a new computer (Dell) and it had Norton Anti-virus on it which was running fine. For some reason it shut off(don't know exactly when it shut off) and I can't get it to run...also, my dad put Mozilla Firefox on and now I can't check my email (hotmail) or get to any of my financial sites (bank, credit card, loan sites) It gives me "The connection was refused when attempting to contact_______". But everything else works fine. I WAS able to get on the sites on Mozilla, but it doesn't work anymore...anyone have these problems??

pyblood
07-01-2005, 09:53
Try disabling Norton and see if that helps. One of the functions of Norton may be block FF from accessing the net. I am thinking that it is probably the Internet Worm Protection function of Norton 2005. Try disabling it.

Open Norton
Click on Options and choose Norton Antivirus.
On the left hand side click on Internet Worm Protection and uncheck the box labeled “Enable Internet Worm protection”
A Protection Alert is probably going to pop up. Choose permanently from the Duration drop down box.
Click OK and click on the red X in the right hand corner of Norton.
Try to use FF and see if that fixes the problem.

Is the Xp firewall enabled? If so, try disabling it.

Do you have Norton Internet Security of another Firewall installed? Try disabling it also.

txwrangler
07-01-2005, 12:43
I can't even open up Norton... I'll double click it and it does nothing... I believe that the xp firewall was not on, but I'll double check when I get home.

pyblood
07-01-2005, 12:44
Have you tried to access Norton trough the start menu?

txwrangler
07-01-2005, 14:03
Yes, I've tried it through the start menu...I don't know what the deal is!!! it's starting to pi$$ me off..

m5shooter
07-01-2005, 22:27
I know how frustrating computers are...I am having wireless connection problems myself. I am kinda new to computers but the last time my computer locked up, I rebooted in F8 safe mode and uninstalled the program. Maybe give that a try to uninstall the FF program.
Just a thought.

MLM
07-02-2005, 06:23
It being a new Dell you should have gotten a subscription to Norton for x number of months free and should be able to do a fresh download.
Don't know iff'en you need to uninstall Norton beforehand or not. May be able to overwrite the existing files.
Another avenue you might want to consider is to roll the system back to a timestamp before you father oops the system [Start, Accessories,System Tools,System Restore].

ERASER
07-02-2005, 12:59
I don't know very much at all about computers......I'm in the middle of dealing with problems too......but could you disable Norton in Startup, then reboot and see how things go?