iBook+Netgear=no password? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : iBook+Netgear=no password?

dport
07-02-2005, 11:17
OK, I'm trying to establish a password for my wireless network. I put in the passphrase into the router and got the key.

For my neighbor's Compaq, I entered in the key and connected right away.
I tried getting my iBook to connect through Airport and it wouldn't work.
;g
It's supposed to be the other way around darn it! ;)

I set the Authentication type to Auto(instead of open or shared) and the Encryption strength to 128-bit)
I'm using a Netgrear MR814, I know it's old, 802.11b. My neighbor has a D-Link 802.11g wireless card. And I'm using an iBook with airport.

Any help would be appreciated.

cmb2874
07-03-2005, 01:21
Should have hooked up quick. my powerbook usually connects to everything, strange. Flash the drive a couple of times.

-CMB

dport
07-03-2005, 07:56
Pardon my ignorance, what is "flash the drive?"

Thanks.

LittleLebowski
07-04-2005, 13:00
Your iBook won't use the passphrase, you need to enter it in hex.

dport
07-04-2005, 15:37
Originally posted by LittleLebowski
Your iBook won't use the passphrase, you need to enter it in hex.
I did. Several times.

mwheeler
07-04-2005, 20:22
You probably need to proceed your WEP key entry on the Mac with a "$" (dollar sign). Here's the info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106250

LittleLebowski
07-04-2005, 20:23
Either that or it's a setting on the router, not your Mac.

dport
07-05-2005, 12:57
Originally posted by mwheeler
You probably need to proceed your WEP key entry on the Mac with a "$" (dollar sign). Here's the info:

Thanks. I'm going to try it.

dport
07-05-2005, 12:59
Either that or it's a setting on the router, not your Mac.
I tried all the settings, there were only 3, on the router, and it worked on my neighbor's Compaq, so I'm inclined to believe it is something with the iBook.

Thanks for the help. I appreciate all the input.

LittleLebowski
07-05-2005, 13:00
There's nothing wrong with the iBook; it's the router. With Linksys WR54Gs going for $50, that makes a compelling and cheap upgrade to 802.11g

dport
07-05-2005, 13:18
Originally posted by mwheeler

I'll be damned, that was it. Thank you.

There's nothing wrong with the iBook; it's the router. With Linksys WR54Gs going for $50, that makes a compelling and cheap upgrade to 802.11g
Actually, there is nothing wrong with either; it was operator error, which is why I posted here. I figured it was something simple that had to be done with the iBook, and low and behold, I was right.

LittleLebowski
07-05-2005, 13:24
Good info. Still was a router thing because I have about 15 Macs here at work and have never seen that $ sign thing before. I've had to do that in Linux though....

dport
07-05-2005, 13:30
Good info. Still was a router thing because I have about 15 Macs here at work and have never seen that $ sign thing before. I've had to do that in Linux though....
How can it be a router thing when the Compaq and the router don't require it, but the Mac does? No it's a Mac thing. Probably because Mac software engineers didn't think they would be dealing with an old router. Still, that's not a problem with the router when it works as designed. It's a Mac software engineer problem because they didn't make their software backwards compatible.

LittleLebowski
07-05-2005, 14:26
I guess you could see it either way but if that Mac (like mine) works with all newer routers perrfectly why would it be the Mac's fault?

dport
07-05-2005, 15:03
I guess you could see it either way but if that Mac (like mine) works with all newer routers perrfectly why would it be the Mac's fault?
Backwards compatibility. Why did the windoze machine work and the Mac had to have special characters typed in? That right there tells me there is something in the windoze software that isn't in the Mac's. Why can Gates do it and not Jobs?

LittleLebowski
07-05-2005, 18:23
Did you ever think it might be a hack on the router manufacturer's part to play nice with Windows machines? Why can't Gates build a secure virus free OS? Why do most Windows machines run as administrator by default with the ability to execute code found in emails? Why do I have to pay for each user to access their mailbox on my Exchange server AND pay for them to access the file shares on the samed damned server seperately? Why is the average time for an unprotected XP machine to get infected 12 minutes? Why can't my relatives use a Windows box with me telling them to load AD-aware, Spybot Search&Destroy, an good antivirus that isn't trialware, Firefox, a hosts file, etc... Why is Microsoft putting out their own anti-spyware software instead of fixing the OS?

dport
07-09-2005, 15:41
Did you ever think it might be a hack on the router manufacturer's part to play nice with Windows machines? Why can't Gates build a secure virus free OS? Why do most Windows machines run as administrator by default with the ability to execute code found in emails? Why do I have to pay for each user to access their mailbox on my Exchange server AND pay for them to access the file shares on the samed damned server seperately? Why is the average time for an unprotected XP machine to get infected 12 minutes? Why can't my relatives use a Windows box with me telling them to load AD-aware, Spybot Search&Destroy, an good antivirus that isn't trialware, Firefox, a hosts file, etc... Why is Microsoft putting out their own anti-spyware software instead of fixing the OS?
Weak rant. I give it a 4 out of 10. (and I'm being generous because you're a fellow Mac fan).

Still does not negate the fact that when two of three machines play nice, the third machine that doesn't want to play is where the problem lies.

LittleLebowski
07-09-2005, 16:01
And it still could be a problem with the router especially considering my Mac has no problems with newer routers.