Something's up, need help [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Something's up, need help

cdogg44
07-02-2005, 18:00
Ok, my computer was running just fine, and I needed some space to intall some stuff so I unistalled a bunch of old programs I didn't need anymore, and installed a couple large programs. I restart my computer like it told me to, and now it's really messed up.

Every other second or so my CPU usage jumps from like 2% to 100% and it has been doing this since I turned it back on.

Anybody know what's up?

Washington,D.C.
07-02-2005, 18:15
If you have Windows XP,can you use system restore?

pyblood
07-03-2005, 15:01
Can you tell us which programs that you uninstalled and installed?

cdogg44
07-03-2005, 16:28
Originally posted by pyblood
Can you tell us which programs that you uninstalled and installed?

I uninstalled probably a dozen or so small programs and old games that were just taking up space.

I then upgraded my Office 2000 to Office 2003, and then installed Adobe Acrobat 6.0.

I don't know what's up. I've turned off system restore and run new versions of AdAware, Spybot S&D, and CWS Shredder. I also have run the Pandascan Activescan twice. If something was on here it would not have made it through all of that.

When I go to my Windows Task Manager, my cpu usage jumps from 2% to 100%. I've watched it and when it's at 2% my Idle System Process is at like 97%, which is normal. Then my Idle System Process drops way off and my rundll32.exe takes over like 80-95+% of my cpu usage. (also, along with this, when I have no programs open and my cursor sitting idle, a small hourglass appears beside it, indicating that something is taking a lot of CPU power, I'm assuming it's this rundll32.exe). This all then repeats again within 2-5 seconds.

Any ideas?

cdogg44
07-03-2005, 17:30
FIXED IT!!

After an afternoons worth of work, I found the problem. Yesterday I installed a network storage/print server to our home network. I never could get the print server working with my computer. I had installed the printer software to my computer but no luck. Anyway, I finally find this program called Process Explorer, and I used it to track down my problem. I though about the printer, uninstalled it, restarted, and now I'm back to normal.

I guess my computer was just pissed off that it couldn't make the printer work, so it was trying super hard to see if it could.

Now, if I can only get the print server hooked up and running correctly...