KB's and Breechface Failures [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : KB's and Breechface Failures

horge
07-03-2005, 07:55
We lost our old thread --the one with photos of homogenizer's trademarks.
Anyone care to repost those photos?
Might be instructive for new visitors.

:)

Alexii
07-03-2005, 19:30
Here are some photos; forgot already who they belong to.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v322/Alexii/breechface_02.jpg

isuzu
07-09-2005, 21:36
What calibers are those Glocks on the pictures? Breechface failures are very common in Glock 21s and very common with Glocks that are being dry-fired all the time.

That's why I"m going back to the 1911. The Old Faithful!

Alexii
07-10-2005, 00:00
I'm not sure but I think they belong to a local BOG whose pair of G17s, consecutively numbered, suffered breechface failures due to excessive dryfiring. Glock has since replaced one of the slides after 1 year of waiting. I have no word on the other slide replacement.

vinsdr
07-10-2005, 09:18
[QUOTE]Originally posted by isuzu
[B]What calibers are those Glocks on the pictures? Breechface failures are very common in Glock 21s and very common with Glocks that are being dry-fired all the time.

sir, are breechfailures and kb's also common in Glock 30's? i dont have the habit of dry firing mine and keep the gun at home only for home defense. can i safely and reliably shoot corbons or other +p's? or should i just use armscor fmj's?

vega
07-10-2005, 11:16
That's why I'm having second thought (pronounced like a Manilanian, not like Cebuano on the other thread ;) )on getting a G22. I'm not concerned with the Kboom but rather on the breech failure.

vega

vinsdr
07-10-2005, 16:01
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vega
That's why I'm having second thought (pronounced like a Manilanian, not like Cebuano on the other thread ;) )on getting a G22. I'm not concerned with the Kboom but rather on the breech failure.

vega [/QUOTE

sir, with that second thought (also pronounced like a manilenio :) ) of yours, there is still concern on breech failures. now, i'm concerned;P ! what would you be getting then beside the G22? should i sell my G30? what would you suggest? thank you very much po.:)

Alexii
07-11-2005, 06:33
Hello vinsdr--

I too have a G30 that I use for home defense. My advice would be to keep the Glock since you don't dryfire regularly anyway. It's one of the best Glocks there is, IMHO.

Glocks seem to be having some quality issues as of late: the rail issue of the E-series, breechface failures, and the latest issue of dustcovers cracking.

batangueno
07-11-2005, 07:42
Originally posted by vinsdr
should i sell my G30? what would you suggest? thank you very much po.:)
Depends, how much are you selling it? ;f

Don't worry about it, just make sure you use a snap cap when dryfiring.

mikol
07-11-2005, 08:20
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vega

vega [/QUOTE

sir, with that second thought (also pronounced like a manilenio :) ) of yours, there is still concern on breech failures. now, i'm concerned;P ! what would you be getting then beside the G22? should i sell my G30? what would you suggest? thank you very much po.:)

kayo ha naga second though kayo ng naga second though(i've pronounced it the way you pronounced it ha) why not give us a good price nalang for your glocks at kami na ni batang ang bahala sa breech face at kaboom issues nyan diba kapatid na lefty. ;f ;) ;)

vega
07-11-2005, 08:21
[/B][/QUOTE what would you be getting then beside the G22? should i sell my G30? what would you suggest? thank you very much po.:) [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm planning on getting another XD tactical in 40 then get an aftermarket barrel for 9mm. Plano pa lang naman yon, mahigpit and budget ngayon. Nagamit yung budget because of the Mossberg combo.

Keep the G30 and use snap caps when dry firing.

vega

mikol
07-11-2005, 08:23
Originally posted by vega
[/QUOTE what would you be getting then beside the G22? should i sell my G30? what would you suggest? thank you very much po.:) [/B]

I'm planning on getting another XD tactical in 40 then get an aftermarket barrel for 9mm. Plano pa lang naman yon, mahigpit and budget ngayon. Nagamit yung budget because of the Mossberg combo.

Keep the G30 and use snap caps when dry firing.

vega [/B][/QUOTE]

lucky you bro you got this XD back there.;f wala ata nyan doon sa Pinas.;g

batangueno
07-11-2005, 08:25
Originally posted by mikol
kayo ha naga second though kayo ng naga second though(i've pronounced it the way you pronounced it ha) why not give us a good price nalang for your glocks at kami na ni batang ang bahala sa breech face at kaboom issues nyan diba kapatid na lefty. ;f ;) ;)
;z ;z ;z

mikol
07-11-2005, 08:35
Originally posted by batangueno
;z ;z ;z
o diba agree si kapatid! :cool: kaya vinsdr pm muna ang price offering mo ki batang.;e ;) ;)

vega
07-11-2005, 09:04
[/B][/QUOTE]lucky you bro you got this XD back there.;f wala ata nyan doon sa Pinas.;g [/B][/QUOTE]

Di ba may HS2000 dyan? I know there's a BOG member who have one.

vega

mikol
07-11-2005, 09:28
Originally posted by vega
lucky you bro you got this XD back there.;f wala ata nyan doon sa Pinas.;g [/B][/QUOTE]

Di ba may HS2000 dyan? I know there's a BOG member who have one.

vega [/B][/QUOTE]
errr....^2 yap remember now. i think stronghand carry those models. btw i was thinking of the springfield XD?, is it the same as the HS2000?(a stupid question might this be ;g)

9MX
07-11-2005, 09:38
mikol,

ganda ng xd, the problem is wala pa din atang spare mags available

mikol
07-11-2005, 10:48
Originally posted by 9MX
mikol,

ganda ng xd, the problem is wala pa din atang spare mags available
mannix wala ba iba magazine pwede sa XD? di kaya pwede mags ng cz or tanfoglio dito? sa porma kasi ng kanyang grip parang medyo hawig sa mga yun. check this site. www.xd-hs2000.com

vega
07-11-2005, 13:49
HS2000=SA XD.
You can use Beretta mags which are plentiful there.
But you need to drill a hole for the mag stop.

Prone to damage is the ejector, when you use aftermarket mags like the beretta, it will have the tendency to hit the ejector. That's why I'm planning to buy an extra ejector.

vega

vinsdr
07-11-2005, 16:33
Originally posted by Alexii
Hello vinsdr--

I too have a G30 that I use for home defense. My advice would be to keep the Glock since you don't dryfire regularly anyway. It's one of the best Glocks there is, IMHO.

Glocks seem to be having some quality issues as of late: the rail issue of the E-series, breechface failures, and the latest issue of dustcovers cracking.

thank u very much po. its just that, i've been reading and getting different views kasi about the glocks and that they are planning to switch to 1911s. pero, as u said po, i'll keep it na lang. salamat po muli.

and to sirs batangueno, mikol and vega:

mga sirs, thank you very much po for your suggestions pero as sir alexii and vega advised me to just keep the glock, then i might as well keep it. thank u po ulit. btw, sana po i could get to meet some of you sa gunshow. regards.:)

mikey177
07-11-2005, 19:24
...btw, sana po i could get to meet some of you sa gunshow. regards.:)

I'll be wearing a BoG shirt when I go there Friday evening. Just wave hello since we've never met before. Kailan ba manlilibre ang mga birthday boys? ;Y

mc_oliver
07-11-2005, 22:14
Papicture uli tayo dun sa pinaka favorite booth natinsh! ;f;f;f

9MX
07-11-2005, 22:47
Originally posted by mc_oliver

woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!;f

side issue: anybody knows why xd mags are scarce? is this just here in the philippines?

vega
07-13-2005, 17:40
Probably the XDs are not as popular there in PR, kaya konti lang ang mags. We have no shortage here in US.

vega

mc_oliver
07-13-2005, 23:49
Originally posted by 9MX
woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!;f

side issue: anybody knows why xd mags are scarce? is this just here in the philippines?
'Di nag click kasi dati yung HS2000 plus the fact na recent lang ang approval niya sa IPSC.

ppts799
07-14-2005, 19:25
Originally posted by mc_oliver
they have a model unit of an air rifle Feinwerkbau model 700, check it out! GANDA!

lazyjohn
07-14-2005, 20:27
Is there a history of breech face failures other than the ones from the Philippines?

mc_oliver
07-14-2005, 23:27
I've come across a couple of old posts in Brian Enos' forum regarding the breech face issue. So the problem is not unique to us back here. Fortunately for the US-based glock owners, they have the luxury of availing a quick and hassle-free glock warranty.

isuzu
07-21-2005, 18:57
[QUOTE]Originally posted by isuzu
[B]What calibers are those Glocks on the pictures? Breechface failures are very common in Glock 21s and very common with Glocks that are being dry-fired all the time.

sir, are breechfailures and kb's also common in Glock 30's? i dont have the habit of dry firing mine and keep the gun at home only for home defense. can i safely and reliably shoot corbons or other +p's? or should i just use armscor fmj's?

Sorry for the late reply. My friend has a G30 and it shoots fine. Whenever he dry fires it, he uses dummy ammo (Pachmayr). His brother-in-law had a G21 which suffered breechface failure.

As for the ammo, Glock says that "any commercially manufactured ammo that passes the SAAMI/CIP pressures for a certain caliber is safe to use." Don't use lead bullets in your G30. Use at least teflon-coated bullets coming from a reputable reloader.

You're lucky to have a G30. They are VERY accurate. Try 230gr Hydra Shok. They have a very good reputation with one shot stops (in the high 90's for combined length barrels; 100% on 5 inch pistols).

isuzu
08-07-2005, 16:19
This is what I got from the Glockmeister Q & A. I hope this might be of help to fellow BOGS:

CARE AND FEEDING

Q: Can I shoot bare lead bullets from my Glock? If not, why?
A: It is not a good idea to shoot bare lead bullets from your Glock. There are two basic reasons, the first is that the polygonal rifling in a Glock barrel really grips the bullet - this causes lead bullets to leave heavy deposits of lead when the gun is fired - heavy deposits of lead can lead to over-pressure problems - over-pressure problems can lead to nasty things like case failures. The second reason is that where the chamber meets the bore there is a sharp full edge (standard rifling does not have such a pronounced edge). This edge can shave off lead from the bullet and cause a headspace problem (the round will not fully seat) - again, this can lead to things like a case failure. Shoot plated or jacketed bullets only.

Q: I heard that I only need to clean and lube my Glock every 10,000 rounds - is that true?
A: Maybe in war time, when it may be unwise to disassemble your firearm. We suggest that you clean and lube your gun after each use. It isn't absolutely necessary to clean and lube after every use, but we are funny about a tool that our lives may depend on.

Q: There are no instructions in the owners manual for cleaning and lubing my Glock - where can I find this information?
A: Go here: http://www.glockmeister.com/gclean.shtml and here: http://www.glockmeister.com/glubric.shtml

CHOOSING A GLOCK

Q: What is the best Glock model for carry, self defense, home defense, comfort, shootability, ease of control and so on?
A: The best advice here is consult with a firearms trainer and go to a range that rents Glocks and take a few for a test drive. There is no best fit for everyone - different guns for different jobs and different individual fit.

Q: Where can I get a .380 Glock and why aren't they in the gun shops?
A: The .380 is not available in the U.S. to civilians (they are available to LE). The reason is that the gun does not score enough import points to be allowed into the country for civilian use.

Q: I have had my eye on a Glock 18 for a few years - now I think I can afford one - how can I get one?
A: You can't. The Glock 18 is only available to Class III dealers with an LE demo letter, LE and the military.

IDENTIFICATION

Q: How do I tell the difference between fully metal lined magazines and non fully metal lined magazines?
A: Go here: http://www.glockmeister.com/3genmags.shtml

Q: How do I identify a 3.5# connector, a 5# connector and an 8# connector?
A: Go here: http://www.glockmeister.com/images/connect.jpg

UPGRADES

Q: How can I determine if my Glock needs a firing pin upgrade?
A: Go here: http://www.glockmeister.com/fpupgrad.shtml

Q: How can I determine if my Glock .40 cal. needs an extractor/ejector upgrade?
A: The gun will have an ejector with the part number 4340 stamped on it.

OPERATION

Q:My Glock seems to shoot (high, low, left, right) - how can I get that fixed?
A: First of all, have the gun tested in a stationary mechanical mount (like a Ransom rest). A mechanical device is the only way to take the human factor out. When the gun is tested, only use new standard factory ammo. If the gun shoots left or right (in the rest) adjust the rear sight left or right to align the target. If the gun shoots high or low (in the rest), you may have to change the rear sight to a higher or lower sight to get on target. The above scenarios are unlikely - most problems are with the shooter or the ammo. If there is no pattern to the shots - it may be the cheesy reloads you are shooting. If there is a fairly consistent pattern (like down and left) it is probably a matter of trigger control - dry firing practice can help alleviate this problem.

Q: I have noticed wear marks on the bottom side of my 9mm - .357 - .40 - 10mm - .45 slide - just below the ejection port - is that normal?
A: Yes, these marks are normal wear marks. They will wear to a point and stop. They are caused by the locking block coming into slight contact with the slide when the gun is fired - nothing to worry about.

Q: When the slide is locked back and I slam in a full mag, the slide is released - how can I fix that?
A: There is nothing to fix. When you slam a loaded mag into the gun, the gun is usually at a slight angle with the muzzle up. When you slam in the mag, you cause a slight rearward momentum on the slide and release pressure on the slide stop lever, thus allowing the slide stop lever spring to do its job and return the slide stop lever to the lowered position. If you are still unsure about this - try holding the gun level and steady - jam a loaded mag in now - I'll bet the slide doesn't close now.

Q: I hear a slight rattle in my gun when I shake it forward and back - is that normal?
A: Yes, what you are hearing is the firing pin moving freely in the firing pin channel (only when the trigger is depressed). When the gun is cocked, you will note that there is no noise - that is because the sear has engaged the firing pin and will not allow it to move.

Q: Can a Glock be fired under water?
A: A specially modified Glock 17 is tested for underwater firing. It is never recommended that you try to fire your Glock under water - the preparation for that task involves a modified gun, special ammo and training.

MANUALS

Q: When I bought my Glock, I did not get an owners manual - how can I get one?
A: Owners manuals are available from Glock by faxing Glocks Customer Service at 770-433-8719. Provide them with your name, address, phone number and Glock model.

Q: I would like to get an Armorers manual - where can I get one?
A: Current Armorers Manuals are only available to Glock armorers. The manual is for reference only - without proper training and experience, the manual is short on information. There are a few videos on the market - choose one of those.

Pepe G Boy
08-07-2005, 21:47
Originally posted by 9MX

Recently spoke to an owner of HS2000 .40. He said Stronghand imported 8 mags but was wiped out immediately after announcing that they have spares.

With the increasing popularity of XD/HS here, they should be able to justify a steady supply of mags.

toxic
08-09-2005, 09:00
I think i read it somewhere in HS2Ktalk (was a former member there) . After Springfield got the right to market HS2K as XD's in the US. HS2k Croatia limited its exportation of parts and accessories in other parts of the globe, because they cannot keep up with the demands of XDs in the US.

At first Springfield had some problems aswell ..as i understand one of the post : HS2K will be branded as XD in the US by Springfield but Sprinfield has to take over the repairs and replacement of parts of HS2000 pistol already in the US. Just imagine there are 3 generations of HS2K already in the US..then right after the HiCap ban each and everyone of HS2K and XD owners went on a shopping spree of Hicap Mags.

Stronghand should do something about their market of HS2K back in the Philippines or the HS will be another H&K of Nashe.

vega
08-09-2005, 18:28
Originally posted by toxic
I think i read it somewhere in HS2Ktalk (was a former member there) .
What was your handle there? From time to time nagpo-post ako.

vega