Do all Filipinos like guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do all Filipinos like guns?

tombo
07-03-2005, 09:31
One thing I have noticed in my limited meetings of Filipinos at gun ranges and elswhere in the U.S. is that they like guns. They are almost fanatical about them. Not only do they know quality firearms but they can shoot them well. Why is that?

rhino465
07-03-2005, 11:51
Because they are smart! ;f

horge
07-03-2005, 13:43
Well, not all Filipinos are into guns these days
Chalk it up to three generations of mass-media brainwashing.

Used to be, it was not merely a right but a sacred duty
to have the means with which to feed and defend one's family
and one's tribe.

PMMA97
07-03-2005, 15:00
I guess the Filipino could certainly excel in the sport but not all like the idea of having guns. Nandy Pacheco for one :(

Eye Cutter
07-03-2005, 16:53
Originally posted by rhino465

and good looking, too! ;f right, cousin rhino!?!

kerwin
07-03-2005, 20:57
Filipino's don't just like guns, We love them. But its so darn hard to keep em. Not all can afford Firearms, Philippine laws are quite strict and we don't have the "right to keep and bear arms" amendment found in the American Constitution.

Gun ownership is kinda new to Filipinos, but not the idea of freedom, or the right to defend ones self, family, property or even honor. So it is only natural for filipinos to own some weapons, Be it a finely made Kris or Machete or a crude Bolo.

Those Filipinos already in the US are just making up for lost time i guess... and why settle for Saturday Night Specials when they can afford Guns they can only dream of when they were still in the Philippines?;)

bulm540
07-03-2005, 22:05
Originally posted by rhino465
Ditto!!!!

mikol
07-03-2005, 23:38
or we can consider also an environmental influence. for my case, i grew up in an environment in which you can see guns everyday. my late father(peace be upon him) used to be a member of Crime Suppression Unit(CSU). We have a couple of guns in our house, and seen also alot of people coming in our house with all types of guns(my fathers colleagues/buddies). So i grew up to be a gun lover or enthusiast as you might call it. ;f

toxic
07-04-2005, 00:56
Perhaps its the influence of TV and toy pistol.

antediluvianist
07-04-2005, 06:53
Filipinos like guns. Many filipinas (female gender) like guns too.

Why not? Guns are fun, and useful.

i_am_infinity
07-04-2005, 10:15
Originally posted by kerwin
Filipino's don't just like guns, We love them. But its so darn hard to keep em. Not all can afford Firearms, Philippine laws are quite strict and we don't have the "right to keep and bear arms" amendment found in the American Constitution.

Gun ownership is kinda new to Filipinos, but not the idea of freedom, or the right to defend ones self, family, property or even honor. So it is only natural for filipinos to own some weapons, Be it a finely made Kris or Machete or a crude Bolo.

Those Filipinos already in the US are just making up for lost time i guess... and why settle for Saturday Night Specials when they can afford Guns they can only dream of when they were still in the Philippines?;)

kawawa naman tayong mga pinoy!!

"Owning guns is not a right to Filipinos but a privilege..."
Quoted: Gen. Arturo Lumibao

and all i can say about that is... that's CRAP!!!!! I love guns because to me i consider shooting as a sport and also an instrument to defend against criminals...and they can't even protect us and they expect us to depend on them?!?! ASUS!!

rhino465
07-04-2005, 19:17
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
and good looking, too! ;f right, cousin rhino!?!

AMEN, cousin EC!!! Guwapo! ;f

rhino465
07-04-2005, 19:23
Originally posted by i_am_infinity
kawawa naman tayong mga pinoy!!

"Owning guns is not a right to Filipinos but a privilege..."
Quoted: Gen. Arturo Lumibao

and all i can say about that is... that's CRAP!!!!! I love guns because to me i consider shooting as a sport and also an instrument to defend against criminals...and they can't even protect us and they expect us to depend on them?!?! ASUS!!

Good point, cousin!

I play games with my guns that I already have (for defense and political reasons) so I can operate them proficiently. I don't have guns just to play games.

Let me state something that should be obvious. ALL OF US (adult humans) have the right to defend ourselves and our familes, and as an extension of that, right to keep and bear arms. It is not granted by any government or document; it is a right that is inherent to us, and can not be abrogated by an act of law or a tyrannical government.

The difference is that in some countries (and in some states in the USA sadly), the gov't has enough illegitimate power to bully us and prevent us from exercising those rights. It may be a subtle distinction, but just because you can't freely exercise a rightwithout fearing reprisal from the government doesn't mean you do not possess it. Don't forget! The right is YOURS.

i_am_infinity
07-04-2005, 22:26
Well Said Rhino!!!!!

royal glockster
07-05-2005, 08:22
For me, i love guns for sports purposes. For defense, it's the weapon of the last recourse! ;)

mc_oliver
07-05-2005, 19:15
Originally posted by tombo
One thing I have noticed in my limited meetings of Filipinos at gun ranges and elswhere in the U.S. is that they like guns. They are almost fanatical about them. Not only do they know quality firearms but they can shoot them well. Why is that?
Probably in the up-bringing, when they were growing up. Not too long ago, especially in the provinces, it's not uncommon for a household to have guns. During parties or any gatherings it's also not uncommon for relatives to "showcase" their guns.

Today, for some reason, people are now being discreet about it. The last time there was a "showcase", it was done behind closed doors and the kids stayed out.

Fast forward several years from now, I won't be surprised if those same kids will be "less informed" about firearms.

rhino465
07-05-2005, 23:52
Originally posted by i_am_infinity
Well Said Rhino!!!!!

Clearly you are an erudite and perceptive individual! ;f

rhino465
07-05-2005, 23:55
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Probably in the up-bringing, when they were growing up. Not too long ago, especially in the provinces, it's not uncommon for a household to have guns. During parties or any gatherings it's also not uncommon for relatives to "showcase" their guns.

My dad was was a teenager during WW II. He told me that after the war, 1911s, M1 Carbines, and other weapons were ... plentiful. He had .45 that he had under his pillow when he slept!

It's unfortunate that your government compromises your freedom and liberties so much since the 1970s.

i_am_infinity
07-06-2005, 09:49
And it SUCKS to that no matter how they impose gun control laws still the criminals carry their guns with no regards to any law or laws for that matter.

Kiddo
07-07-2005, 05:35
The government doesnt want good citizens to posses firearms since the good citizens might see their bad deeds and rebel against them. ;Q

PROGUN or some group should push for an amendment which makes firearm possession and self defense a right. If I could, I would join an organization for that cause.

gillbates
07-07-2005, 05:57
You might have something there. Tutal magkaka amendment sa constitution. Sana ipasok din nila dun ang right to bear arms.

Translation: Since there will be a constitutional amendment in the future, I hope the right to bear arms would be considered.

i_am_infinity
07-07-2005, 10:15
In the US their Representatives in the Legislative body are easy to approach and would take time to listen. i've read some threads in BE forum regarding some CA laws that will serve as a threat to the Constitutional Right to bear arms and they encouraged each other to talk to their Congressmen and Senators..here in the philippines these so-called Law makers are not that approachable...and they're suppose to be represnting us?! :(

agentrod
07-07-2005, 17:33
Since it costs to much to legally own (and transport) a firearm here in the Phils, those who actually do it are really afficionados and take it as a hobby or else need it and want to be proficient with it.

revo
07-07-2005, 20:00
I live in the US and I have met quite a lot of Pinoys/Pinays who are not into guns.

And it's not like they dislike them but that they are into other things also.

For example, I find that love of music is more a Pinoy trait than anything else.

My 2 cents.

vega
07-08-2005, 11:51
And some like bonding with no malice.;)

vega

darwin25
07-08-2005, 21:10
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Fast forward several years from now, I won't be surprised if those same kids will be "less informed" about firearms.

HAH!! I bet most of these kids' knowledge of guns will be from computer games like counter strike and the likes. What a shame. The first lessons that these kids learn about guns came not from the parents but from computer games.

Another shame is that someone posted in our company's bulettin board about picture of a cop, pointing his gun at something, his finger not touching the trigger, AND HE CALLED IT A BOOBOO. Ignorant fool. This guy hasn't had the first idea about gun safety.

Anyway, I think most Filipinos like guns because in some parts of the country, it has became an absolute necessity to own one.

antediluvianist
07-08-2005, 21:50
In our history, weapons were a big thing, culturally. We were under the Spanish for 350 years, and they had very strong biases and values. Weapons are well-prized in Iberian cultures, going back to El Cid, and into modern times (for instance Brazil, Mexico, most of Latin America, and us.)

Weapons are Macho , man! We may pass laws to regulate and ban them - a la' our recent colonial master America - and we may blot out pictures of guns on movie posters (stupid) - but we LOVE guns . Just look at our movies, the crystallizations of our culture : guns and gun battles all over the place. It's Macho, man!

A publisher once told me that imported gun magazines sell better than practically any other kind of imported magazine. To hell with "National Geographic" - we want "Guns and Ammo". Gun magazines are even prominently sold in the magazine rack of the cafe' at Makati Medical Center. They sell!

royal glockster
07-10-2005, 20:10
Originally posted by antediluvianist
In our history, weapons were a big thing, culturally. We were under the Spanish for 350 years, and they had very strong biases and values. Weapons are well-prized in Iberian cultures, going back to El Cid, and into modern times (for instance Brazil, Mexico, most of Latin America, and us.)

Weapons are Macho , man! We may pass laws to regulate and ban them - a la' our recent colonial master America - and we may blot out pictures of guns on movie posters (stupid) - but we LOVE guns . Just look at our movies, the crystallizations of our culture : guns and gun battles all over the place. It's Macho, man!

A publisher once told me that imported gun magazines sell better than practically any other kind of imported magazine. To hell with "National Geographic" - we want "Guns and Ammo". Gun magazines are even prominently sold in the magazine rack of the cafe' at Makati Medical Center. They sell!

+1 ante, i dont know why i love guns, i suppose it's innate in me. I did spend a lot of money on these and i dont really know the logic why. when i was a little boy, i used to build toy guns made of wood. My favorite toy gun i built then was a thompson smg, perhaps i was influenced by war and action movies at that time. For me, collecting guns is like investing in jewelries. Completely agree that a lot of filipinos like guns, but we need to educate the vast majority of our kababayans regarding its misconceptions. :cool:

chowchow
01-18-2007, 11:50
At age 11 my brother bought a nice air rifle (CO 2 version)and that was the start of it. I killed many catsized rats in our backyard trying to eat the duck feeds. It was fun target shooting them at less than 10 -15 yds. I was a good shot IMHO.

9mmMick
01-18-2007, 12:04
Hey...Italians love guns too, you know! :banana:

Well, except for Nancy Pelosi. :upeyes: