best rap group ever? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : best rap group ever?


00buckshot
07-03-2005, 18:41
who do you people think is the best rap group ever? my vote is for bone thugs. nobody else has worked with the rappers they have, like eazy-e, 2pac, and biggie. not to mention the other musicians like pink floyd, and phil collins. they got people listening to rap, when rap wasn't consedered real music. they have the most original style ever, and have made songs nobody will ever be able to match, like, foe the love of $, crossroads, home, mo murda, notorious thugs,
and the list could just go on, and on, and on. not to mention, they aren't fake like these pop singers today, on mtv. they've done what they talk about. krayzie even did a country song. layzie is doing a rock album with slasher and axel and pink floyd. my vote is definately bone thugs for being innovative, and real. cant wait for flesh to get parolled.

Goldendog Redux
07-03-2005, 22:21
You are a knucklehead. Your interests are "capping posers" eh?

Except for a few artists, Rap is a wasteland of posers, thugs and sociopaths whose mouths and wallets should be sewn shut for the betterment of society. I won't wish any of them dead because they all end up that way anyway.

I liken some of these guys as poets who chose to use their powers for evil rather than good. I am not suggesting that they all turn into
De La Soul or DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (I understand that you were still crawling on the floor with your sippy cup when these guys were doing their thing) but Fifty Cent is a cartoon. He may as well be singing Mammy. No wonder Bill Cosby is on a rampage when some POS like 50 is a role model for not only young black males but white, blue and brown kids as well.

I am sure you have a much broader knowledge of Hip Hop than I do. I listen to a lot of hip hop radio these days and Kanye peaks my interest a little. Otherwise, I find it all to be bad.

To answer your question though, I'd have to say Public Enemy.

MF

TimC
07-04-2005, 07:45
Originally posted by 00buckshot
who do you people think is the best rap group ever? they got people listening to rap, when rap wasn't consedered real music.

NONE.

You mean it's considered real music now? ;g

Hobear
07-04-2005, 08:26
I'm not a rap/hip hop fan. But it must be acknowledged that this is a new music form created here in the U.S. That makes rap and jazz the only uniquely american (U.S.) styles of music. (R & R is the child of blues which was itself drawn from musical influences outside the U.S.) For the most part, I find it mindless, soulless music. But, it is here to stay and it's growing. I know now that I'm officially old when I find myself saying "I can't believe the crap these kids listen to nowadays" :) I like some individual tracks of "songs", I've got some Tone Loc and Digital Underground but as a genre it's just not my speed. To be honest, I haven't really looked at any of it seriously. I saw U2 back in '93 (great show!) and they had Public Enemy open up for them. My first reaction was "what the ******* is going on here"? But I shut up, gave it a listen and while I still wasn't blown away, I was intrigued. They showed a depth, a level of consciousness that I found suprising. Kinda funny what you may see when you let go of prejudice (read pre judge, not racism)

00buckshot
07-05-2005, 09:10
rap is full of posers? no pop is full of posers. 50 cent is a pop artist, not a rapper. almost every underground rapper does what he talks about. who said i like 50 cent? bone thugs aren't 50 cent. 50 cents never been investigated for murders, 50 cent isn't going to be in prison until 2008, 50 cent, hasn't ever did anything like that.

and you try to act like bone thugs are young or something. they came out, back when they were 16 and 17 with a perfected style on "creepin on ah come up", in 94 i think. back when they were still robbing people. obviously you dont know anything.

so all rappers are posers huh? what about x-raided, convicted of a double homicide, and "psychoactive", his first cd, was said to have several murder confessions. or flesh, from bone thugs, in the same exact prison? like i said, pop-rappers are posers, not the ones i listen too. like wish bone said "murder 1/ red drum/ try to run and get away, but it's just too late/ watch out, buckshots when i come, buck buck, better gaurd that *******ing face/" theirs plenty of hard rappers out there, x-raided, bone thugs, brotha lynch hung, and i could go on and on. i've been listening to bone thugs since i was in 3rd grade. will smith, yeah, he's really got more talent than bone thugs, haha. nobody is as good as bone thugs. when have any of the people you named worked with pink floyd, phil collins, or guns-n-roses? or sold over 10,000,000 copies of one cd, witche was released 10 years ago, and is still selling?

nickg
07-05-2005, 09:31
best rap group ever

the ULTIMATE oxymoron!!!! ;Q ;Q ;Q

mudfootball
07-05-2005, 10:35
hobear, im only 22 and i already find my self saying " i cant believe the crap kids listen to"
any how, as for the subject, i cant say much as for rap groups. but dr. dre is one of the major people that made rap happen. say you dont like what they say or represent, but in addition to his stuff, he has produced and mixed some beats for many of todays best and yesterdays best. He made death row the icon it was, in addition without him M&M, xzibit and snoop would never have made it. i will say bone thugs does have a very unique sound that i was into when they got on the seen. but right through from the early 90's on up dre is still at the top of the rap seen.
kt

PennGlock
07-05-2005, 12:43
The answer is obviously OUTKAST! Never made a record that wasnt solid all the way through, and only a handfull of throwaway songs. I cant think of any other rap group as consistanly great as Outkast. Not to mention "B.O.B." is the pinnacle of hip-hop so far. I love those cats...

Hobear
07-05-2005, 14:01
Outkast is another effort where I like a couple of their cuts:cool:

Goldendog Redux
07-05-2005, 23:21
Originally posted by 00buckshot
rap is full of posers? no pop is full of posers. 50 cent is a pop artist, not a rapper. almost every underground rapper does what he talks about. who said i like 50 cent? bone thugs aren't 50 cent. 50 cents never been investigated for murders, 50 cent isn't going to be in prison until 2008, 50 cent, hasn't ever did anything like that.

and you try to act like bone thugs are young or something. they came out, back when they were 16 and 17 with a perfected style on "creepin on ah come up", in 94 i think. back when they were still robbing people. obviously you dont know anything.

so all rappers are posers huh? what about x-raided, convicted of a double homicide, and "psychoactive", his first cd, was said to have several murder confessions. or flesh, from bone thugs, in the same exact prison? like i said, pop-rappers are posers, not the ones i listen too. like wish bone said "murder 1/ red drum/ try to run and get away, but it's just too late/ watch out, buckshots when i come, buck buck, better gaurd that *******ing face/" theirs plenty of hard rappers out there, x-raided, bone thugs, brotha lynch hung, and i could go on and on. i've been listening to bone thugs since i was in 3rd grade. will smith, yeah, he's really got more talent than bone thugs, haha. nobody is as good as bone thugs. when have any of the people you named worked with pink floyd, phil collins, or guns-n-roses? or sold over 10,000,000 copies of one cd, witche was released 10 years ago, and is still selling?

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Up until now I had no respect for rap or the people who listened to it. I never realized how multi-talented the artists were.

Since your hobby is capping posers I am sure 50 wouldn't mind a visit from you since he's a poser and all.

MF

84S
07-06-2005, 08:19
Public Enemy, by far. I don't listen to much hip-hop/rap, but I like De La Soul, The Roots, the Pharcyde, and OutKast.

BrassInPocket
07-06-2005, 10:36
I'm not a fan of Rap music, but if I was tied down & forced to listen to it. I'd listen to Lil Jon & The East Side Boyz. ;f

Aphotic
07-06-2005, 21:24
I don't know if this qualifies, but Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg on "The Chronic."

That was the first time "Gangsta Rap" ever made it mainstream.

And yes, Dre, Snoop, Nate Dogg, Tupac and B.I.G., Eminem, Easy E, Shyne, P. Diddy, Ja Rule, Busta Rhymes, DMX, LL Cool J, Ice Cube, Fat Joe, Jadakiss and anyone else I forgot are all "posers." Tupac never even had a misdemeanor arrest until AFTER he was famous.

Doesn't mean they weren't talented at what they do though.

Well, P. Diddy, Shyne, Ja Rule, DMX, Fat Joe, Easy E. and Jadakiss weren't talented. The rest are though.

Hobear
07-06-2005, 23:25
I've heard some buzz about this guy this guy Mos Def(?)

SAUERGLOCKS
07-09-2005, 19:18
Originally posted by Goldendog Redux
You are a knucklehead. Your interests are "capping posers" eh?

Except for a few artists, Rap is a wasteland of posers, thugs and sociopaths whose mouths and wallets should be sewn shut for the betterment of society. I won't wish any of them dead because they all end up that way anyway.

I liken some of these guys as poets who chose to use their powers for evil rather than good. I am not suggesting that they all turn into
De La Soul or DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (I understand that you were still crawling on the floor with your sippy cup when these guys were doing their thing) but Fifty Cent is a cartoon. He may as well be singing Mammy. No wonder Bill Cosby is on a rampage when some POS like 50 is a role model for not only young black males but white, blue and brown kids as well.

I am sure you have a much broader knowledge of Hip Hop than I do. I listen to a lot of hip hop radio these days and Kanye peaks my interest a little. Otherwise, I find it all to be bad.

To answer your question though, I'd have to say Public Enemy.

MF


Public Enemy????? ;g Theye were a bunch of racist holagans that acted "Hard". IMO, Dr. DRE was and still is the most talented artist/producer around. And I like M&M. Not becouse he's a good rapper or a good person but becouse he can make fun of the whole music cummunity as it diserves!



By the way, I like most of everyting exept for country. I can do without hearin about some honky's wife and cow runnin away together!;f
Unless you have some video of them getting it on that is!;N

SAUERGLOCKS
07-09-2005, 19:25
Now, You wanna talk crap about someone getting their ass kicked for their $150.00 sneakers.. I'm all for that!~2 That will teach them not to buy $150.00 sneakers wont it! ;f

Thing you have to remember is that theye are 30% musicians and 70% actors that are full of shiat! Same goes with death metal and bands like Slipknot and Marylin Manson, Theye acting a role to bring in money. AND IT WORKS! More power to them.

glock_19guy1983
07-10-2005, 23:59
Rap is for stupid urban trash. I will take metal any day. I dont consider scratching records on a turntable art. People like Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrel Abbot(R.I.P.), Kirk Hammet and Dave Mustain are true artists. Even Rock lyrics strike me as being more artistic than cRAP lyrics check out the lyrics of some of Marilyn Manson or cradle of filth that is poetry

darkside852003
07-11-2005, 15:17
You can't have cRAP without RAP.

bigbadglock
07-12-2005, 11:20
Originally posted by Goldendog Redux

Except for a few artists, Rap is a wasteland of posers, thugs and sociopaths whose mouths and wallets should be sewn shut for the betterment of society. I won't wish any of them dead because they all end up that way anyway.

I liken some of these guys as poets who chose to use their powers for evil rather than good. I am not suggesting that they all turn into
De La Soul or DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince (I understand that you were still crawling on the floor with your sippy cup when these guys were doing their thing) but Fifty Cent is a cartoon. He may as well be singing Mammy. No wonder Bill Cosby is on a rampage when some POS like 50 is a role model for not only young black males but white, blue and brown kids as well.



+1

cadet3
07-13-2005, 00:26
This thread is silly. He just asked a simple question and not an opinion on the whole musical genre. If you don't like rap then you could have moved on to the next topic. We need more moderators here to delete useless threads like this.

nickg
07-13-2005, 10:02
Originally posted by cadet3
This thread is silly. He just asked a simple question and not an opinion on the whole musical genre. If you don't like rap then you could have moved on to the next topic. We need more moderators here to delete useless threads like this.

maybe if rap didn't suck a dog turd so bad people wouldn't have such a wide opinion of commenting on how bad it sucks!!

how's that? ? ?

cadet3
07-14-2005, 20:11
Originally posted by nickg
maybe if rap didn't suck a dog turd so bad people wouldn't have such a wide opinion of commenting on how bad it sucks!!

how's that? ? ?

ok once again another post thats not remotely related to the original topic.

RENEA
07-18-2005, 18:50
Originally posted by Goldendog Redux
You are a knucklehead. Your interests are "capping posers" eh?

Except for a few artists, Rap is a wasteland of posers, thugs and sociopaths whose mouths and wallets should be sewn shut for the betterment of society. I won't wish any of them dead because they all end up that way anyway.


^6

micah
07-22-2005, 19:41
"Rap is for stupid urban trash. I will take metal any day. I dont consider scratching records on a turntable art. People like Zakk Wylde, Dimebag Darrel Abbot(R.I.P.), Kirk Hammet and Dave Mustain are true artists. Even Rock lyrics strike me as being more artistic than cRAP lyrics check out the lyrics of some of Marilyn Manson or cradle of filth that is poetry"

Pot to kettle, come in kettle.

I agree most rap does suck very bad..as does nearly all metal. Gangter Rap and metal share the same core audience, teenage white suburban kids who want people, their moms especially, to think they're hard. Anthrax was a better band than any that you've named AND they were big rap fans..so shut up and go talk about how great metal is in a metal thread and doen't come into this guy's post to piss all over what he likes, it just isn't nice.

And to answer the question, I've never been a huge rap fan, but if I had to pick a fave it would likely be Public Enemy or atmosphere.

darkside852003
07-22-2005, 21:45
I like ICP that is as close to rap as I get. Started listing to them when I dated a few juggalets, but like rap it is taken to serious. I am not down for slaping a hoe, or selling smack, or killen a N(*&^%$$# or any other of the crap they say. My buddies and I had a feild day kicken the crap out of wannabe white boys. I have a few friends or use to think they were ghetto, take them down to D-town and they are locking the car doors. I took one to Harpos once and thats in the ghetto, once we passed 8 mile he didn't want to leave the car .

There is more thought into the lyrics of rock,metal,blues,and country, hell even punk. Most music today is novelty without staying power. Its all pop meant to keep the cash flowing and teenagers minds filled with crap. It is rare to hear anything original. I'm younger than mudfootball and say what the hell are kids listing too. Rap to me is as bad, as socialist punk rock and my kid brother being brain washed by it.

Shock rock is the same to me. Marilyn Manson or cradle of filth that is poetry" I will have to disagree with that I have listend to it, and was into the goth/death metal thing for a bit and its all pure shock value, not worth spending $15 on the CD or the 40-60 to see the shows. Zakk Wylde is great though, as is Anthrax my mom listins to them LOL. But them getting in bed with rap was a smart move, seeing the money involved and I think it was a financial decision. they seen what was coming before anyone like freddurst or other metalrap groups.

A great group of artists led by Brad Nowell, Sublime. All about loven life and having a good time. Just one band on my all time favorite list. They included hiphop and not for the money.

method
07-23-2005, 10:03
Wu Tang Clan

Dandapani
07-23-2005, 10:17
Originally posted by 84S
Public Enemy, by far.

+1, "The revolution will not be televised!", "Don't believe, Don't, Don't, Don't believe the Hype!"

MiCPL
07-28-2005, 03:31
Originally posted by TimC
NONE.

You mean it's considered real music now? ;g



;z ;z ;z ;c ;c

Shooters Plus
07-31-2005, 10:54
Originally posted by 00buckshot
who do you people think is the best rap group ever?
The one that does'nt exist.

Fred Hansen
07-31-2005, 11:03
almost every underground rapper does what he talks about. Damning, meet Faint Praise... Faint Praise... Damning.


ROTFLMMFAOAU ;z ;z ;z ;e ;e ;e

whiskey_moodz
07-31-2005, 11:22
So many to choose from... OUTKast...Da La Soul.. Kanye West.. Public Enemy..Ice-T..Ice Cube...2Pac..Gym Class Heroes (look'em up) Biggie..Dj Quik..

There have been so many greats no fair asking what best group ever.. For me it all depends on how I feel or want to be feeling when listen to it

It not really fair for you all that don't listen to the music on a constant basis to make judgment. If some makes a post about what is the best Death Metal band out there. In my opinion it all sounds like a power drill being rubbed again a few guitar strings with a mic shoved down the lead singerís throat. But wasn't the posting... Now if you want I will start a topic so all of you who don't like rap can sound off and say yeah rap is crap... but till then.. If it doesn't relate... Move on to the next thread please...
but what do I know that only the Whiskey Talkin'

AngerManagement
07-31-2005, 19:47
2 Live Crew.




Just kidding.

mjs
08-01-2005, 21:41
Vanilla Ice

Kevin108
08-01-2005, 22:32
KRS-ONE

costanza187
08-02-2005, 21:27
Not a big fan of the genre, but I'd say maybe Run DMC

glockmeister71
08-03-2005, 01:32
My vote goes to Insane Clown Posse or Twiztid,if you can really call either one of them rap.

maverick-tx
08-03-2005, 21:05
Gotta be The Roots.

Cochese
08-05-2005, 04:17
I challenge anyone to top...

the Beastie Boys.
Check your Head, iLL communication, Paul's Boutique...

Absolutely Prolific

http://imagesource.allposters.com/images/153/430868.jpg
although now they appear to be aging quickly

http://www.manchester.com/music/images/beasties1.jpg


"Dropping science like Galileo dropped the orange"

Goldendog Redux
08-05-2005, 07:32
Originally posted by glocktastic
I challenge anyone to top...

the Beastie Boys.
Check your Head, iLL communication, Paul's Boutique...

Absolutely Prolific

http://imagesource.allposters.com/images/153/430868.jpg
although now they appear to be aging quickly

http://www.manchester.com/music/images/beasties1.jpg


"Dropping science like Galileo dropped the orange"

Paul's Boutique was the the best of them all. Great album with great producers. One of my all time favorites.

MF

glocka
08-05-2005, 07:43
:cool: Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre...;j ;j #wav ^3 ^3

das028
08-05-2005, 07:48
Hey 00buckshot, this is a great gun forum, dont get me wrong, but you will find some of the most close minded a-holes on this forum. Pay them know mind.;)


Anyway, dont know about best group, but the best artist has to be Jay-Z.

das028
08-05-2005, 07:49
Originally posted by glocktastic
I challenge anyone to top...

the Beastie Boys.
Check your Head, iLL communication, Paul's Boutique...

Absolutely Prolific

http://imagesource.allposters.com/images/153/430868.jpg
although now they appear to be aging quickly

http://www.manchester.com/music/images/beasties1.jpg


"Dropping science like Galileo dropped the orange"
+1

micah
08-05-2005, 15:21
Paul's Boutique was magic, Check your Head was pure dung, sorry.

costanza187
08-05-2005, 22:43
The Beastie Boys DO have some good music, however I DO have a problem with some of their agenda.

On that To the 5 Boroughs CD, somewhere about track 3 or so they say some things I didnt really want to hear. I don't remember the lyrics exactly and they seemed pretty anti-Bush

JMag
08-05-2005, 23:47
That's like asking someone to name their favorite STD!;e

glockmeister71
08-06-2005, 00:54
That's funny,JMag.

Cochese
08-06-2005, 03:56
Originally posted by micah
Paul's Boutique was magic, Check your Head was pure dung, sorry.
;P




3. Pass the Mic
4. Gratitude
6. Finger Lickin' Good
7. So What'cha Want

Apparently you have never heard these songs off of Check your Head...

micah
08-06-2005, 06:36
Apparently you have never heard these songs off of Check your Head...

Bought that TAPE the day it came out at The Wiz in Washington DC ona trip for high school band (man am I dating myself). It was very bad, but that's just to my ear. I hope that you continue to enjoy it.

Cochese
08-06-2005, 18:30
Originally posted by micah
Bought that TAPE the day it came out at The Wiz in Washington DC ona trip for high school band (man am I dating myself). It was very bad, but that's just to my ear. I hope that you continue to enjoy it.

I will... bits and pieces of it anyway. I agree that it's a bit out there in some respects. We have to realize that that point in their career is when they were all really coked up and rick rubin was running amock with everything ;)

GroovedG19
09-03-2005, 10:36
Originally posted by mjs
Vanilla Ice

LOL!

I like the Classic Bone-Thugs(Creepin' on ah come up, East 1999).After Art of War, it was downhill from there.The Mo Thugs compilations were garbage also.

stepper
09-04-2005, 00:39
I don't think there is such a thing.

kswiss2783
09-07-2005, 15:28
NWA- brought gangsta rap to life, enough said

Norman
09-08-2005, 11:25
They make take our stations, but they will never take...

our Forum!

grecco
09-09-2005, 08:00
RUN DMC
grand master flash and the furiuos 5
soul sonic force

old school was the best

09-15-2005, 21:00
I didn't read the above and I'm an 80's leftover. So here's my $.02 ; Herbie Hancock didn't really rap but used a drum machine on Rockit. What about Grand Master Flash??

GroovedG19
09-15-2005, 21:18
South Central Cartel - All Day Everyday

Crowsfoot
09-15-2005, 21:23
Rap music and its artists have helped bring about the decline of culture in our young people. Any forum that depreciates a woman and expresses itself in filthy, vile language is not music at all. Do you think there will be a Hip Hop/Rapper Music Hall of Fame and Museum? I don't think so. The music business is in trouble. So is our country.

09-16-2005, 03:12
Very true,(the above) it's scary to think that the future is possibly going in the hands of people that can't pull their pants up.;P

micah
09-17-2005, 07:59
Rap music and its artists have helped bring about the decline of culture in our young people. Any forum that depreciates a woman and expresses itself in filthy, vile language is not music at all. Do you think there will be a Hip Hop/Rapper Music Hall of Fame and Museum? I don't think so. The music business is in trouble. So is our country.

They said the same about jazz. And yes, I'm pretty sure there WILL be a hip hop hall of fame someday. If our country is being torn about by music it was a pretty weak country to begin with.

Crowsfoot
09-17-2005, 08:52
micah you write...

They said the same about jazz. And yes, I'm pretty sure there WILL be a hip hop hall of fame someday. If our country is being torn about by music it was a pretty weak country to begin with.

If you are old enough to remember Kent State you might understand this. Rock and Roll helped to save this country. We were torn apart by The VietNam war,Civil Rights and social injustice. Rock and roll gave us a social conscience. We expressed ourselves thru music and asked the tough hard questions. Music was our poetry, our prose. It gave us a sense of direction. Listen to John Lennon's You've got to hide (your love away). Also listen to Simon and Garfunkle's Bridge over troubled water... Jazz is music, rock and roll is poetry\music and rap is anger\hate expressed with a music beat in the background.
Jazz and Rock and Roll helped to unify America, Rap seeks to divide.

das028
09-26-2005, 10:55
Originally posted by Crowsfoot
micah you write...

They said the same about jazz. And yes, I'm pretty sure there WILL be a hip hop hall of fame someday. If our country is being torn about by music it was a pretty weak country to begin with.

If you are old enough to remember Kent State you might understand this. Rock and Roll helped to save this country. We were torn apart by The VietNam war,Civil Rights and social injustice. Rock and roll gave us a social conscience. We expressed ourselves thru music and asked the tough hard questions. Music was our poetry, our prose. It gave us a sense of direction. Listen to John Lennon's You've got to hide (your love away). Also listen to Simon and Garfunkle's Bridge over troubled water... Jazz is music, rock and roll is poetry\music and rap is anger\hate expressed with a music beat in the background.
Jazz and Rock and Roll helped to unify America, Rap seeks to divide.

;z give me a break hippie!

das028
09-26-2005, 11:07
Hey Crowsfoot,first of all, not all rap music is that gangsta stuff. You have got to open your mind some. The things you said about rock n roll, the same can be said about rap music. People expressing themselves, poetry, etc...

You sound like the same people who but down your music during your time. "thats not real music", all that nonsense. I mean, just because its not in your taste, doesnt mean its crap.

No offense, but I cant stand it when people say that crap. Your Simon and Garfunkle might be crap to somebody else, just like Tupac is crap to you. You know, a certain song may mean one thing to me and something else to another.

Who are you to tell me what rap music expresses to me!!!:(

Crowsfoot
09-26-2005, 13:37
I wasn't telling you that rap music is gangsta crap, I was offering my opinon and you failed to make that connection. Yes you are right about something...The old folks of my time said my music wasn't real or good for that matter. They were wrong and I think you know in your heart, that there will never be an oldies rap/hiphop station that we can all tune into. The radio stations which once played my oldies are fast disappearing and your music is definitely taking over, but I still say that it has no moral or other redeeming values. Only hate, anger, drugs, violence and disrepect of women and older people and our tried and true trusted values. It will disapear and so will you. Thanks for the compliment, " hippie". I am fairly conservative and I vote...

das028
09-26-2005, 13:51
First of all I do think there eill be an oldies hip hop station.

Second of all I never said I liked rap music in the first place, I was defending it.

And third of all, like I said before not all rap music is about violence, *****es, hoes, etc...I could give you some examples if you like, (but you prolly wouldnt listen anyway)

Oh yeah, hip hop is not going to dissapear (and myself) for that matter, so you and the rest of the close-minded "oldtimers" need to get use to it. PERIOD!

You need to realize, music evolves, just how people evolve.

Crowsfoot
09-26-2005, 13:59
Please send me your list of this music. I will make an honest attempt to locate and listen to each selection you list. Then we can compare notes on the music, vocals, content and meaning of each selection. OK...

micah
09-26-2005, 18:12
Corwsfoot...there is (or was) an audio- only station on Charter Digital Cable when I had it called Old School, it played nothing but pre 1988 or so rap all day long...I wasn't a fan, but it was there, and presumably had some fans...and it actually wasn't that bad. some of the old Parlament Funkadelic stuff was pretty good...though they seemed to condone drug use, much like some bands of your time..Hendrix, Jeffersaon airplane, The Beetles, etc. Also, your music is my music, motre or less. I love Simon and Garfunkel, I'm not into alot of the flower child stuff of your era, but I love The Who, Zeppelin, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, etc. I also like some KRS-One, an early rapper. I like music. I like Rush. I like Miles Davis. I like Johnny Cash. I like Run DMC. I like Ella Fitzgerald, Brenda Lee, Conway Twitty, Iron Maiden, The Old 97s, Dick Dale, The Dropkick Murphys, and the Glenn Miller Orchestra. Music is good, I'll give any honest, original music a shot. Listen to what you like, and enjoy it...but know that there is a whole world of cool stuff that neither you nor I have heard yet. Let's both not dismiss anything out of hand and we'll both be happier people. Cheers.

Sandstrom
09-27-2005, 00:11
G Unit is the best, hands down

09-27-2005, 03:59
I did'nt hear much of him, but I kinda liked Ice T's stuff about the time of the LA riots.;?

REB26
10-09-2005, 23:00
buckshot, what are you thinking asking a group of conservative (by in large) guns owners if they listen to crap music?

let me see...

rap musicians DONT:

1. play their instruments
2. write their lyrics solely (except eminem, and he no longer is rapping from what i hear)
3. support law enforcement
4. respect women (wanting to screw a woman is NOT respecting a woman, sorry fools)


rap musicians DO:

1. advocate violence
2. degrade women
3. glamorize a sorry lifestyle of welfare and living off of government subsidies
4. gash and totally abuse the term 'music'




furthermore, rap music is crap. and fools that buy this trash are the reason that this **** is so undeservingly popular.

wolfsong
10-22-2005, 23:01
The one's that aren't recording anymore.

micah
10-23-2005, 07:29
"buckshot, what are you thinking asking a group of conservative (by in large) guns owners if they listen to crap music?
let me see...
rap musicians DONT:
1. play their instruments
2. write their lyrics solely (except eminem, and he no longer is rapping from what i hear)
3. support law enforcement
4. respect women (wanting to screw a woman is NOT respecting a woman, sorry fools)
rap musicians DO:
1. advocate violence
2. degrade women
3. glamorize a sorry lifestyle of welfare and living off of government subsidies
4. gash and totally abuse the term 'music'
furthermore, rap music is crap. and fools that buy this trash are the reason that this **** is so undeservingly popular."

Well that settles it, I guess all rap sucks and we should asll limit ourselves to country music and rock and roll, because Jonny Cash never glamorized violence, the guys in Motlry Crue are so respectful of women, Elvis wrote his own lyrics and The Monkeys were such incredible musicians. I was on the fence until I read the "rap is crap" part..that's brilliant! Where did you come up with that? Be sure to write that one down, it's gold!

srfl
10-30-2005, 09:54
Originally posted by grecco
(SNIP)
old school was the best

Agreed! I still remember the block parties that harmed no one when I grew up in Spanish Harlem in the late 70's and early 80's....it was all about the DJ's and MC's doing their thing and everyone else bumping and grinding.

bhp31
11-20-2005, 23:45
best rap groups?

in order:
NWA
Tupac
Biggie Smalls
Ghetto Boys
Three Six Mafia

Davegrave
11-21-2005, 00:15
Violent J.....

Shaggy 2 Dope....

(The Insane Clown Posse)

Jamie Madrox....

The Monoxide Child....

(Twizted)

ABK

Blaze Ya Dead Homie


Put them all together and you have the rapping rockin super group......

Dark Lotus!!!!!


That being said, the original post was for best GROUP not best SOLO RAPPER so stop throwing Biggie and Pac into it.

But Biggie is #1 of all time.

rabbit
11-27-2005, 02:23
wow, a man that listens to rap music owns a glock? hmmmm... let alone has the guts to come here and discuss it... wow.

na man, if ya like it, its ok i guess.. but it should be known that rap music is ****. its the epitome of talentless music. rappers should be shot. liberals love it... all b/c it pisses off conservatives whom actually stand for something.

Davegrave
11-27-2005, 10:27
Wow, that's closed minded.
Just cuz you don't appreciate it doesn't mean you can just label it as s#*t.
I don't like opera, but I wouldn't go dissing people who do. Yeah, there's rap that's garbage. But there's bad acts in any genre.
People who don't get it just complain that all the music is sampled. The music isn't the point. It's just there to keep the beat for the poetry. Rap, real rap, is about the lyrics. The music is just a bonus to get you tapping your toes.
And don't say it's not poetry. It may not be on a subject you like, or appreciate, but that's what it is. It's not all about smacking ho's and shooting people. A lot of it is about growing up poor and struggling and trying to improve yourself.
Listen to Eminem's Rock Bottom. Or Biggie's Juicy. It's good stuff.

And I'm not somebody who's just into rap. I like good music, period.
I can go to an Elton John or Billy Joel concert adn sing along to every word. This last year I've seen Elton John, Eminem, Willie Nelson, Kenny Wayne Shepperd, BB King, Bob Dylan.
I can quote from Shakespear and I can recite Edgar Allen Poe by heart.
I'm just saying......Say you don't like it if you want your opinion known, but don't trash everyone who appreciates it for what it is.
I'd bet my house that the only experience you've ever had with it is stopping on BET or MTV for a few seconds, or seeing some idiot like Juvenile on the cover of XXL magazine. You've never stopped and realy listened to form a valid opinion.

Cochese
11-27-2005, 10:51
http://www.msu.edu/~ollinger/Beastie%20Boys%20and%20Run-DMC.jpg

Apparently, you are the epitome of ignorance.

What are these rappers doing on the cover of Rolling Stone, anyway? What are they thinking??? Think of the children!

http://www.vnn.vn/dataimages/original/images278441_Beastie_Boys3.jpg

http://img35.exs.cx/img35/9350/coverx.jpg

Originally posted by rabbit
wow, a man that listens to rap music owns a glock? hmmmm... let alone has the guts to come here and discuss it... wow.

na man, if ya like it, its ok i guess.. but it should be known that rap music is ****. its the epitome of talentless music. rappers should be shot. liberals love it... all b/c it pisses off conservatives whom actually stand for something.

40Cal
12-09-2005, 12:57
Originally posted by rabbit
wow, a man that listens to rap music owns a glock? hmmmm... let alone has the guts to come here and discuss it... wow.

na man, if ya like it, its ok i guess.. but it should be known that rap music is ****. its the epitome of talentless music. rappers should be shot. liberals love it... all b/c it pisses off conservatives whom actually stand for something.

This may be the most ignorant thing I've ever read on GT. Congratulations.

And I'm not even a big rap fan, I prefer classic rock.

epsylum
12-09-2005, 17:35
+1 on the Beastie Boys.

They
-DO play thier own intruments
-are very talented rappers
-do NOT exploit women (well except for Licensed to Ill, but come on they were like 18 then)
-do NOT promote violence, Hell Isn't Mike D a Bhuddist?

On the anti Bush thing, yeah Mike D says some thing about "a president we didn't elect". That made me delete an otherwise decent album (good thing I didn't pay for it :p ).

Also about the "scratching isn't an art". I will have to disagree. I am a HUGE metal fan (literally grew up on Metallica, Slayer, Sepultura, Anthrax, and Pantera), but I also diddle around on my turntables and have some friends who are very talented at it. If you have any understranding of what a REAL DJ (not these posers that follow corny rap groups, Beastie Boys not included since Mix Master Mike is one Bad mofo and a member of the Invizible Scratch Piklz)does, they are extremely talented. DJ Craze, Q-bert, A-train, DJ Shadow, and the like do nothing but practice scratching 8 hours a day. Just as someone who knows nothing of metal would think a Dave Mustane solo is nothing more than noise, somebody who doesn't know freestyle scratching would think the same. BTW most of these DJs are talented enough to not need so loud mouth MC to pack a crowd in. I have seen Q-bert twice. Both times the place was jam packed with at least 10,000 people at an underground show, just to see HIM.

SW.FLA.glocker
12-09-2005, 18:06
I vote for Blondie. If you're old enough you will know what I'm talking about.

epsylum
12-09-2005, 18:21
Originally posted by SW.FLA.glocker
I vote for Blondie. If you're old enough you will know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, and KRS One did a good remix of that song.

Dark_Knight7096
12-14-2005, 22:42
Yea i'm going to have to say the beastie boys are pretty good. I kinda like Run DMC. I'm sorta a Wu Tang fan (protect ya neck!). There are a few others as well, but by and large rap is crap today. 50 CENT is not a poser like you guys say but he was shot in the face 9 times. He used to deal drugs and was a member of the bloods, then left them to be a member of the crips, he did his fair share of dirt. And when did being a gangster and commiting crime turn you from a poser into something else? He shouldn't be glorified, nor should most of the other people in hollywood (or entertainment) today for that matter. It is because of the people we look up to that kids are psycho today. Another problem is everyone wanting to protect children and not allowing them to take responsability. There was an incident where a group of about 10 inner city kids ranging from 10-13 years of age beat a 26 year old to death. One of the kids threw and egg at the passing by 26 year old, the guy walked up and punched the kid for it, they all chased that man down and beat him so hard, peices of his skull and brain were found on the ceiling of the porch 10 feet above the spot where his body was found. All the youths were arrested and they were seeking to try them as adults, parents groups stepped in, as did other groups, saying that these children should not be tried harshly as we do not want to take away their youth, they could still be productive members of society. BULL! They beat a man to death, the didn't shoot him, didn't stab him, they beat him, they knew what they were doing, i say execute them all, make an example. Most of the people society look up to are crap. Another thing, why is everyone drawing lines, liberal and conservative? "That is a totally liberal thing to say on a conservative board like this." I get scared at comments like that. I'm not a liberal, nor am I a conservative. I think anyone who says they are 100% liberal or 100% conservative are downright frightening. The gray area is where most people should spend a majority of their time, rarely is EVERYTHING black and white. Well that's it, my rant is over, as there are 3 things i will never debate with anyone: Religion, politics, and music (in that order); because no matter how intelligent and well formed your argument you will never change the other persons opinion, you will just start a fight. Martin, out!:soap:

ShipWreck
12-15-2005, 05:27
Sorry,, best rap group ever was The Fat Boys

http://weiweiworld.onestop.net/whrrd.gif

Ok, maybe not...

Cochese
12-15-2005, 11:41
Originally posted by Dark_Knight7096
Yea i'm going to have to say the beastie boys are pretty good. I kinda like Run DMC. I'm sorta a Wu Tang fan (protect ya neck!). There are a few others as well, but by and large rap is crap today. 50 CENT is not a poser like you guys say but he was shot in the face 9 times. He used to deal drugs and was a member of the bloods, then left them to be a member of the crips, he did his fair share of dirt. And when did being a gangster and commiting crime turn you from a poser into something else? He shouldn't be glorified, nor should most of the other people in hollywood (or entertainment) today for that matter. It is because of the people we look up to that kids are psycho today. Another problem is everyone wanting to protect children and not allowing them to take responsability. There was an incident where a group of about 10 inner city kids ranging from 10-13 years of age beat a 26 year old to death. One of the kids threw and egg at the passing by 26 year old, the guy walked up and punched the kid for it, they all chased that man down and beat him so hard, peices of his skull and brain were found on the ceiling of the porch 10 feet above the spot where his body was found. All the youths were arrested and they were seeking to try them as adults, parents groups stepped in, as did other groups, saying that these children should not be tried harshly as we do not want to take away their youth, they could still be productive members of society. BULL! They beat a man to death, the didn't shoot him, didn't stab him, they beat him, they knew what they were doing, i say execute them all, make an example. Most of the people society look up to are crap. Another thing, why is everyone drawing lines, liberal and conservative? "That is a totally liberal thing to say on a conservative board like this." I get scared at comments like that. I'm not a liberal, nor am I a conservative. I think anyone who says they are 100% liberal or 100% conservative are downright frightening. The gray area is where most people should spend a majority of their time, rarely is EVERYTHING black and white. Well that's it, my rant is over, as there are 3 things i will never debate with anyone: Religion, politics, and music (in that order); because no matter how intelligent and well formed your argument you will never change the other persons opinion, you will just start a fight. Martin, out!:soap:

50 cent was not shot nine times.

Dark_Knight7096
12-15-2005, 13:06
Originally posted by glocktastic
50 cent was not shot nine times.

You're right. I was using a hyperbole to illustrate my point, but he was shot in the face, several times. The game was stabbed a few times. Nelly, I believe, was shot a few times. I'm not trying to stand up for them, nor am I trying to say they are "hardcore". I mean, 50 cent and The Game and all those others rap about cops giving them a hard time and slappin ho's and "cappin'" people. The most contact 50 or The Game have with cops anymore is probably when the motion sensor on the perimeter of their multi-million dollar estate is tripped. The only point I was trying to make is that most of these people have hard pasts, we should not idolize them for that. I believe the original poster said that pop artist are posers cause that stuff never happened to them but real rappers actual do the stuff they rap about. Ok, and? We should condemn 50 Cent because he no longer deals drugs or participates in gangs, but because the guy who raps underground is still dealin drugs and pimpin women and killing people we should elevate his works because he raps about what he presently does? I personally don't think any of that trash should be elevated to the level of art. I know that is sorta contradictory because I like a pretty good amount of Wu Tang stuff, but I don't think we should glorify that type of violence. I'm more of a metal or rock person myself and I do realize that there is a lot of violence in those types of music too, but for some odd reason it seems different to me, i can't verbalize how but it just FEELS different.

Cochese
12-15-2005, 13:38
Originally posted by Dark_Knight7096
You're right. I was using a hyperbole to illustrate my point, but he was shot in the face, several times.

50 cent was not shot in the face, several times either. His vehicle was fired on in 2000 and he was struck 3 times. Once in each leg, and a ricochet that grazed his jaw.

When his vehicle was fired upon, 9 rounds were shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent#May_24.2C_2000.2C_Shooting

I have no problem with your posts. It's just a little annoying when rumors spread unnecessarily.

Take care..
;c

Cochese
12-15-2005, 13:39
On May 24, 2000, 50 Cent and an associate, 22-year-old Alton Brown, were sitting in a parked car in the Jamaica section of Queens when an assailant pulled up beside them and fired nine shots with a handgun. 50 Cent was shot 3 times, once in each leg and once in the jaw. Brown, wounded in the hand, drove himself and 50 to a nearby hospital. This incident led to the widespread statement in the media and the pop music fanbase that 50 Cent had been "shot nine times."

Dark_Knight7096
12-15-2005, 18:48
Originally posted by glocktastic
50 cent was not shot in the face, several times either. His vehicle was fired on in 2000 and he was struck 3 times. Once in each leg, and a ricochet that grazed his jaw.

When his vehicle was fired upon, 9 rounds were shot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent#May_24.2C_2000.2C_Shooting

I have no problem with your posts. It's just a little annoying when rumors spread unnecessarily.

Take care..
;c

There I go again. You'd think I'd know to double check my facts before citing them (i have a background in research experimentation). I knew that dimple on his face was actually a scar from being shot and when everyone talked about him being shot nine times in the face i just accepted it as fact. My apologies. This post is not meant to be sarcastic either, so please don't think that's how I am trying to sound. At any rathe thank you though because now i have the correct story. ;f

Cochese
12-15-2005, 21:04
Originally posted by Dark_Knight7096
There I go again. You'd think I'd know to double check my facts before citing them (i have a background in research experimentation). I knew that dimple on his face was actually a scar from being shot and when everyone talked about him being shot nine times in the face i just accepted it as fact. My apologies. This post is not meant to be sarcastic either, so please don't think that's how I am trying to sound. At any rathe thank you though because now i have the correct story. ;f

Knowledge is power ;f

I've been known to be wrong myself!;b

PresidentReagan
01-05-2006, 20:05
Test

PresidentReagan
01-05-2006, 20:15
I don't own a Glock, I only signed up because I wanted to comment on this thread. I do own a Ruger Vaquero though, and it's a hoot to shoot! I might also point out that I'm a die-hard conservative who currently votes Republican in most cases. I'm 39 years old and grew up mostly in the country and mountains. Born in Texas (and living here now), but raised mostly in eastern Oregon. That said...

I personally enjoy a lot of rap music. Oddly, perhaps, I also enjoy Toby Keith, AC-DC, Led Zeppelin, Clapton, Pat Green, Bryan Adams, Iron Maiden, Ry Cooder, Benny Goodman, Merle Haggard, Johann Pachelbel, the 'Stones, POD and Rob Zombie among others. I think music is limited to what you find in it (or don't find in it).

Crowsfoot... if you're still listening, and still interested... here are a few of my favorite examples of rap that aren't explicity about violence (in fact, a few of them are ANTI-violence):

KRS One/Boogie Down Productions - Stop The Violence
MC Breed - Ain't No Future In Your Frontin'
West Coast All-Stars - All In The Same Gang
Ice T - I'm Your Pusher
Kool Moe Dee - I Go To Work
Rappin' 4-Tay - I'll Be Around (sampling the Spinners' song)
The Bone Brothers - Hip Hop Baby
Puff Daddy - I'll Be Missing you (sampling the Police song)
Will Smith - Wild, Wild West

Okay, that last one's kinda violent ;-p

But to me, music can't always be about peaches and cream. 'Cause that's not reality. And while I can appreciate a "Soak Up The Sun," by Cheryl Crow, I can also enjoy a less positive song like Porter Wagoner's "The Cold Hard Facts of Life," Eric Clapton's "Cocaine" or "I Shot the Sheriff," Weezer's "Hash Pipe" or the Eagles' "Lyin' Eyes."

You gotta choose your poison though. Have there been more famous rap stars killed in gang violence, more classic rock stars killed in drug overdoses, or more lives wrecked and livers damage by uppers and alchohol in country music's past? ***shrug***

And some of the comments I've read in this thread make mention of artists who's beliefs may not be... conservative or moralistic. Well, if that's your main criteria for listening to music then you might want to get out your fine-tooth comb and be prepared for disappointment. But until an artist makes a total ass of him (or her) self with their political beliefs (e.g.-the Dixie Chicks and Kayne West) I choose to judge them by the music. I know how Willie Nelson feels (politically speaking), but I still love his music.

Sometimes rap is about the lyrics... the message... and sometimes (for me anyway) it's just about the music. This is really true of any genre. There are classic rock songs I enjoy for the tune, or beat, and there are classic rock songs I enjoy expressly for their lyrics (like "American Pie"). Here are a few rap songs that I like simply for the music (or rhythm):

NWA - Dopeman
Geto Boys - Mind Playin' Tricks On Me
Warren G. - Regulate
Too Short - The Ghetto
Run DMC - Tricky
Tone Loc - Funky Cold Medina
DMX - Ruff Ryder's Anthem
Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - Tha Crossroads
Chamillionaire & Krayzie Bone - Ridin' Dirty

It might also be noted that, like most writers, rap artists write (and sing) about what they know. Do they embellish? Sure! Why not? But the core of their stuff is a genuine reflection of how they live. And in most cases it's a lifestyle that many of us simply can't relate to. I grew up poor myself, but not in the inner city playin' dominos near a corner where the drug dealer was doin' business.

I understand the contempt that many of you have for rap music in general. In fact, I share some of that feeling of being threatened... of feeling like the moral compass of today's youth is gyrating out of control, being led by rap music messages. But it's not all bad. Often times, it's a way for these young black kids to vent their frustrations and share their worries... a way out, even if only temporarily. And a lot of the messages are actually very positive. But you can't listen to one rap song, or watch a single rap video, and expect to find the good ones right away.

By the way, Aphotic, Dre's "The Chronic" arrived in 1992, well after NWA's (1989) "Straight Outta Compton"... THE definitive [mainstream] beginning of "gangsta" rap. You had the artist right though... the original NWA was composed of Dr. Dre, Easy-E, Ice Cube, MC Ren & DJ Yella. Snoop Dog joined Dr. Dre (& Suge Knight's) "Death Row Records" later.

I agree with the original poster that Bone Thugs-N-Harmony (or the Bone brothers in general) are some of the smoothest, most enjoyable rap artists ever. I don't care about their "street cred,' I ain't impressed by that crap. But their music is good, and full of beautiful harmony, very soulful sounding. Best ever? I dunno... I find I generally like "songs" more than "artists" or "groups." Run DMC have a LOT of great songs. As do the Beastie Boys. I kinda like UTFO for the same reason. But I couldn't really pick a "greatest rap group." Just like I couldn't pick a "greatest classic rock group" or a "greatest country singer" (though the latter would probably come down to Haggard or Jones). Here's an idea: Listen to what you enjoy, and enjoy what you listen to.


Fred B.
f.j.bradfordREMOVE@verizon.net

micah
01-05-2006, 21:03
Pres Reagan, please stop making sence! Some here prefer to choose without thinking, it's so much easier, please leave them to their bigotry.

PresidentReagan
01-05-2006, 21:07
Oh. My bad. Sorry 'bout that.

Fred B.
f.j.bradfordREMOVE@verizon.net

epsylum
01-05-2006, 21:13
Welcome Reagan and go post over in the Ruger forum. ;)

BTW you did make a lot of sense. Especially the "street cred doesn't impress me" bit and the "just for the music" part.

I do like it when the songs have a decent message, but you don't have to listen to it for what they are saying. I am more of a metal fanatic and really don't care about 90% of their lyrics. I listen for the music, not the message.

PresidentReagan
01-05-2006, 22:36
There's a Ruger forum? This place rocks!


Fred B.
f.j.bradfordREMOVE@verizon.net