tune up for .45 cal. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : tune up for .45 cal.


bertud ng putik
07-04-2005, 02:31
can anyone here enumerate the things needed to tune up a .45 cal.?
is this a must? for a .45 cal.? tnx!

mc_oliver
07-04-2005, 02:37
1911 Fluff & Buff (http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/fluffandbuff.htm)

royal glockster
07-06-2005, 08:07
Originally posted by bertud ng putik
can anyone here enumerate the things needed to tune up a .45 cal.?
is this a must? for a .45 cal.? tnx!

IMO, a 1911 pistol must always be accurized. Check the feed ramp, i suppose it's always be polished to avoid FTF. The ejector must eject the brass consistenly once the ammo is fired to avoid FTE. Barrel to frame and frame to slide must have tight but tolerable fitting for accuracy. BArrel throating of course is recommended. BTW, dont forget to use premium mags also. My two cents dre. :cool:

Allegra
07-06-2005, 08:49
good sights, wilson combat mags , 3.5lbs trigger , tanggalin ang sharp edges

As long as it doesnt jam and could hit a target in the chest at 50m, wag mo na kalikutin

Valor1
07-06-2005, 09:19
-shoot the gun with lots of ammo.
-install a good (meaning highly visible and ease in acquiring sight picture) set of sights.
-buy high quality mags and use the one which works best.
- if you get any failures to eject, extract or fire, have an extractor tune-up, check all the springs.
- you can get additional improvement in accuracy with a better barrel bushing or ask your gunsmith to accurize it by giving it a good slide to barrel to frame fitting.
- after firing it with hundreds of rounds, replace what is broken.
Enjoy the gun before "modifying" it.;)

mikol
07-06-2005, 10:09
Originally posted by Valor1
-shoot the gun with lots of ammo.
-install a good (meaning highly visible and ease in acquiring sight picture) set of sights.
-buy high quality mags and use the one which works best.
- if you get any failures to eject, extract or fire, have an extractor tune-up, check all the springs.
- you can get additional improvement in accuracy with a better barrel bushing or ask your gunsmith to accurize it by giving it a good slide to barrel to frame fitting.
- after firing it with hundreds of rounds, replace what is broken.
Enjoy the gun before "modifying" it.;)
master valor1, do you have any idea what is the best recoil spring & trigger/dis-connector/sear spring poundage for a commander size cal .45 1911 pistol?
sorry bro bertud for thread hi-jacking. ;f

Valor1
07-06-2005, 17:31
Sir Mikol,
For the commmander sized pistols, I believe the minimum Lbs. for the recoil spring is 18 lbs. Try what's best with your pistol. Some will go for a higher rating. Locally, the Wolff springs are easier to find. Still, if you can find chrome silicon springs made by ismi and also of nowlin, get them because they last longer. The price difference is only about P 200.

Personally, if the gun is for defensive use, I opt for the 3.5-4.0 lbs. trigger pull. Competition guns sport a much lower poundage. Regards.

bulm540
07-06-2005, 17:32
Originally posted by royal glockster
IMO, a 1911 pistol must always be accurized. NOt necessarily, depending on the purpose of the pistol. Check the feed ramp, i suppose it's always be polished to avoid FTF. The ejector must eject the brass consistenly once the ammo is fired to avoid FTE- you probably meant the extractor tension. Barrel to frame and frame to slide must have tight but tolerable fitting for accuracy. Not as critical as in open guns, Barrel bushing is key to accuracy .BArrel throating of course is recommended. BTW, dont forget to use premium mags also. My two cents dre. :cool:

mikol
07-06-2005, 23:34
Originally posted by Valor1
Sir Mikol,
For the commmander sized pistols, I believe the minimum Lbs. for the recoil spring is 18 lbs. Try what's best with your pistol. Some will go for a higher rating. Locally, the Wolff springs are easier to find. Still, if you can find chrome silicon springs made by ismi and also of nowlin, get them because they last longer. The price difference is only about P 200.

Personally, if the gun is for defensive use, I opt for the 3.5-4.0 lbs. trigger pull. Competition guns sport a much lower poundage. Regards.
yup the gun is a defensive/house gun. i'll try to check if we have that chrome silicon spring in our local gunstores. btw master valor1, i think my commander comes with a 16# factory spring but i don't know the poundage of it's trigger pull. i'll just try to put a 14# & 18# to check which of this spring will be suitable for me. and for the trigger pull, i'll just let a gunsmith check on it. thanks again master valor1.:)

Valor1
07-07-2005, 08:08
As always, you're welcome Mikol.:)

darwin25
07-07-2005, 21:15
A little off topic. A friend gave a a Tony Pascual 11# recoil spring for a full size 1911 which can be either used for light loads for .45 or for .38super/9mm calibers. I dont have any use for it so if anybody wants it just give me a PM. I'll give it for free. :)

antediluvianist
07-08-2005, 07:33
Originally posted by bertud ng putik
can anyone here enumerate the things needed to tune up a .45 cal.?
is this a must? for a .45 cal.? tnx!

The main thing you need is a lot of patience. I don't have it so I got rid of my .45. Revolvers are not finicky.

isuzu
07-10-2005, 23:17
Get a reliability package. That includes:

1) Throating the barrel
2) Using the right springs
3) Tune the magazines with the pistol
4) Trigger pull with a minimum of 4.5 lbs for carry
5) Get good sights, grips, beavertail safety, a good hammer,
front strap checkering
6) Choose the right ammo for your gun
7) Have the gun fitted right; that means, not too tight, but not
too loose.
8) Test fire the gun using your carry load to check for reliability
and keep your gun clean all the time

revo
07-14-2005, 13:29
Originally posted by royal glockster
IMO, a 1911 pistol must always be accurized. Check the feed ramp, i suppose it's always be polished to avoid FTF. The ejector must eject the brass consistenly once the ammo is fired to avoid FTE. Barrel to frame and frame to slide must have tight but tolerable fitting for accuracy. BArrel throating of course is recommended. BTW, dont forget to use premium mags also. My two cents dre. :cool:

That used to be true in the past.

But today that' no longer the case because of a company called Kimber.

isuzu
07-14-2005, 18:16
Springfield also have "Loaded" 1911 pistols. They are already tuned, unlike the base 1911s (except the Gold Cups) that came out after WWII to the 1980's that needed serious tune ups before you can trust your life with it.

Colt, incidentally is back in production. You may want to visit www.coltsfmg.com to view their products.

I read sometime last year in a magazine which unfortunately, I forgot the name; it featured the "new" Colt Gold Cup Trophy and two other premium 1911s. The writer criticized the Colt for being loose, but when it came to the firing line, the most accurate was the Colt. I guess Colt did learn from their mistakes, and finally got things right.