DVD-rom, Crucial, FarCry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DVD-rom, Crucial, FarCry

Tvov
07-04-2005, 07:40
Well, I have had an annoying situation with Crucial. I have ordered from them in the past with good experience, so when I was looking to increase the RAM for my computer, they were at the top of my list. On their website, they have an offer of a free copy of the game "FarCry" when you order $100 or more of stuff. My order came to a little over $100, so Great! - I get a free copy of FarCry.

Well, I got my RAM, installed it without a problem. Got my free copy of FarCry, put it in, Nothing happens. Can't access the disk at all. When I look carefully at it, it is a DVD-rom, NOT a CD-rom. I don't have a DVD player on my computer. I didn't even think to check that. I contacted Crucial, they were very polite and replied right away. They said that they were sorry, but that was the only version of FarCry that Unisoft gave to them. That's it.

Is there any way I can play this game without a DVD player on my computer?

Does anyone want a DVD-rom copy of FarCry? Only $100, you pay for shipping (;) ).

David_G17
07-06-2005, 15:15
sorry, you must have a DVD-ROM to play dvd's.

it's not a software problem, but a hardware issue.
you can get them for about 25 dollars with shipping though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=379%3A6794&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=55&Submit=Property

Tvov
07-06-2005, 17:38
Thanks for the reply. Right now I've got too many other things to spend money on! It is just annoying. Didn't occur to me about the DVD-rom thing. Of course, Crucial is not going to give me a credit for its' "$40.00 value"! lol

walangkatapat
07-07-2005, 00:03
Originally posted by David_G17
sorry, you must have a DVD-ROM to play dvd's.

it's not a software problem, but a hardware issue.
you can get them for about 25 dollars with shipping though:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=379%3A6794&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=55&Submit=Property

Wow! Can't believe they are so cheap, so I ordered one.

357S
07-12-2005, 17:52

GLOCKFAN4LIFE
07-14-2005, 12:02
TVOV u can get copy of far cry for 20.00 bucs bro need to rethink that price...

Tvov
07-14-2005, 16:02
Originally posted by GLOCKFAN4LIFE
TVOV u can get copy of far cry for 20.00 bucs bro need to rethink that price...

Yeah, I know. But, hey, with the internet, who knows? Of course it is also silly that Crucial says it is a "$40 value".

fastvfr
07-14-2005, 16:33
This is exactly why I always recommend to my clients that DVD-RW or CD-RW/DVD-ROM drives are the only way to go. Even if all you need is a CD-ROM, get the DVD-ROM. You'll be glad you did!

And with their prices falling drastically, you can scoop up a DVD+/-RW dual-layer burner for as low as $50 sometimes if you can get in on a good sale...

With the prices as low as they are, and with the fact that as the size of the average proggy swells to fill absurd numbers of CD-ROMs DVD's will become the new norm at from 4.7GB to 9.4GB of storage space.

CD's will soon have the honor of becoming the 'new floppy'! So I recommend you just upgrade to a quality DVD burner and a copy of Nero someday soon.

Tvov
07-14-2005, 21:51
Originally posted by fastvfr

CD's will soon have the honor of becoming the 'new floppy'! So I recommend you just upgrade to a quality DVD burner and a copy of Nero someday soon.

Well, I was just talking to friend tonight, and he said pretty much the same thing about DVDs. I'll have to look into it. (the wife is starting to wonder about all this upgrading....she doesn't seem to see how critical gaming is, lol)

357S
07-15-2005, 01:38
Nevermind.

Washington,D.C.
07-15-2005, 04:47
That's fine for DVD roms.That's why I got one over 5 years ago.Because back in 2000 they said all the software would switch to DVD.Well that didn't work out.Now there is still the problem of no standardized recordable DVD.There were about 3 types now we have 5 or 6 types.Recordable DVD's are 5 times the price of CD-R's.Most software still doesn't require more than one CD and those that do can include another CD.I've been some places in the world where you still can't buy 700mb CD-RW's,only 650mb.And when you do find blank DVD's and 700mb CD's they are expensive.Not like here in America.Somebody just gave me Doom 3 on three CD's. ;f