XP Pro and Power Management [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro and Power Management

Don At PC
07-04-2005, 09:21
My son-in-law is using a Dell Inspiron 1100 with XP Pro w/sp2. When we go to the power management page everything is "greyed" out with no "Hot Links" so that you can select any power management settings. Is this normal or what is the problem?

Don At PC
07-05-2005, 14:19
Now I know with all the computer experts here someone has a clue.;f ;f ;f

Washington,D.C.
07-05-2005, 14:43
Power Management Tips
HINT: See "Using a Battery" in your Owner's Manual for more information on conserving battery power.

Connect the computer to an electrical outlet when possible because battery life is largely determined by the number of times the battery is charged.

Place the computer in standby mode or hibernate mode when you leave the computer unattended for long periods of time.

To enter or exit a power management mode, press the power button.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Management Modes
Standby Mode
Standby mode conserves power by turning off the display and the hard drive after a predetermined period of inactivity (a time-out). When the computer exits standby mode, it returns to the same operating state it was in before entering standby mode.

NOTICE: If your computer loses AC and battery power while in standby mode, it may lose data.

To enter standby mode:

Click the Start button, click Turn off computer, and then click Stand by.

or

Depending on how you set the power management options on the Advanced tab in the Power Options Properties window, use one of the following methods:

Press the power button.

Close the display.

Press .

To exit standby mode, press the power button or open the display depending on how you set the options on the Advanced tab. You cannot make the computer exit standby mode by pressing a key or touching the touch pad or track stick.

Hibernate Mode
Hibernate mode conserves power by copying system data to a reserved area on the hard drive and then completely turning off the computer. When the computer exits hibernate mode, it returns to the same operating state it was in before entering hibernate mode.

NOTICE: You cannot remove devices or undock your computer while your computer is in hibernate mode.

Your computer enters hibernate mode if the battery charge level becomes critically low.

To manually enter hibernate mode:

Click the Start button, click Turn off computer, press and hold , and then click Hibernate.

Depending on how you set the power management options on the Advanced tab in the Power Options Properties window, use one of the following methods to enter hibernate mode:

Press the power button.

Close the display.

Press .

HINT: Some PC Cards may not operate correctly after the computer exits hibernate mode. Remove and reinsert the card, or simply restart (reboot) your computer.

To exit hibernate mode, press the power button. The computer may take a short time to exit hibernate mode. You cannot make the computer exit hibernate mode by pressing a key or touching the touch pad or track stick. For more information on hibernate mode, see the documentation that came with your operating system.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Power Options Properties
The Power Options Properties window helps you to manage power consumption and monitor battery charge status. To access the Microsoft« Windows« Power Options Properties window, click the Start buttonĂ Control PanelĂ Performance and MaintenanceĂ Power Options.

Power Schemes Tab
The Power schemes drop-down menu displays the selected preset power scheme. Use the Max Battery power scheme to maximize battery power.

Windows XP controls the performance level of the processor depending on the power scheme you select. You do not need to make any further adjustments to set the performance level.

Each preset power scheme has different time-out settings for entering standby mode, turning off the display, and turning off the hard drive. For more information on power management options, see the Help and Support Center.

Alarms Tab
HINT: To enable audible alarms, click each Alarm Action button and select Sound alarm.

The Low battery alarm and Critical battery alarm settings alert you with a message when the battery charge falls below a certain percentage. When you receive your computer, the Low battery alarm and Critical battery alarm check boxes are selected. It is recommended that you continue to use these settings. See "Using a Battery" in your Owner's Manual for more information on low-battery warnings.

Power Meter Tab
The Power Meter tab displays the current power source and amount of battery charge remaining.

Advanced Tab
The Advanced tab allows you to:

Set power icon and standby mode password options.

Program the following functions (depending on your operating system):

Prompt a user for an action (Ask me what to do).

Enter standby mode.

Enter hibernate mode.

Shut down Windows and turn off the computer.

Choose no action (None or Do nothing).

To program these functions, click an option from the corresponding drop-down menu and then click OK.

Hibernate Tab
The Hibernate tab lets you enable hibernate mode by clicking the Enable hibernate support check box.

Washington,D.C.
07-05-2005, 15:04
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R96945&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=3601&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=6&formatcnt=1&fileid=125723

Don At PC
07-05-2005, 15:24
All great info but you didn't understand my post. When we go to the Power Options/Management Window everything is "Greyed Out" . You can read them same as my laptop with XP Home except you CANNOT set ANY power options on management(They are not hotlinks). I am trying to find out why. The only difference between his and mine is I am using XP Home W/sp2 and he is using XP Pro W/sp2. I can go to mine and set it up anyway I want but he cannot and we have no idea why.

Washington,D.C.
07-05-2005, 15:36
Some laptops have special key combinations to reach functions in the BIOS.

Washington,D.C.
07-05-2005, 15:43
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302713

Washington,D.C.
07-05-2005, 15:45
From XP Pro resource kit:

http://www.microsoft.com/mspress/books/sampchap/5566d.asp

Hiding Power Options

You can prevent users from configuring power options by specifying Control Panel settings in Group Policy. You can disable Control Panel entirely, hide specific Control Panel tools, and show specific Control Panel options. Hiding Power Optionscan be beneficial if you have configured the power options, and you do not want users to change those options. However, if you hide Power Options, users have no means to reconfigure power management settings if they need to be changed while they are away from the office. For example, portable computer users frequently use the Portable/Laptop power scheme. When they use the portable computer for a presentation, however, it is recommended that they switch to the Presentation scheme to prevent the portable computer from turning off the display or entering standby or hibernation during the presentation. Users cannot change power schemes, or any other power option, if Power Options is not available.

To hide Power Options by using Group Policy settings

In the Run dialog box, type gpedit.msc.

In the Group Policy console tree, under User Configuration, open Administrative Templates.

Click the Control Panel folder.

In the details pane, double-click Hide specified control panel applets.

In the Hide specified Control Panel applets Properties dialog box, click Enabled, and then click Show.

Click Add.

Type power options.

Typically, Power Options appears in the Show Contents dialog box, under List of disallowed control panel applets.

To disable Control Panel by using Group Policy settings

In the Run dialog box, type gpedit.msc.

In the Group Policy console tree, under User Configuration, open the Administrative Templates folder.

Click the Control Panel folder.

In the details pane, double-click Disable Control Panel.

Click Enabled.

IMPORTANT
Disabling Control Panel in Group Policy prevents Control.exe from starting. This removes Control Panel from the Start menu and removes the Control Panel folder from My Computer.

Don At PC
07-05-2005, 17:27
Washington, D.C. Thanks very much. I now understand where the problem is and how to correct it. I appreciate your help.