3D Cad Software [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 3D Cad Software

pyblood
07-05-2005, 04:45
My company is looking for some 3D CAD software similar to AutoCAD 2006. We were looking at the full version of AutoCAD 2006, but the price tag of over $3,500 wasn’t so nice. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Furant
07-05-2005, 20:51
That really depends on what you're going to do with it. Are you modeling for discrete manufacturing, injection molds, milling, sheetmetal, or is this an AEC application? Do you need to share your models with any vendors or customers?

Solidworks used to be known as the low-price alternative, but I believe they're more expensive than AutoCAD these days (although if you include AutoCAD Inventor, it gets much more costly). I don't know if you've looked at MicroStation, but I used to use that for AEC modeling and it was pretty good.

I've used most of the major players and really believe you get what you pay for if you are going to do more than shade and spin. (Although I'm probably a bit biased since I work for PTC).

Joey

pyblood
07-06-2005, 07:25
My company manufactures metal buildings, and the drafting department was looking at getting some 3D CAD software. We are currently using AutoCAD LT.

bobby_w
07-06-2005, 21:37
I have had good luck wth the IMSI line of products.

They have a pretty big following of users.

>>> IMSI (http://www.imsisoft.com/all_products.asp)

DBradD
07-07-2005, 12:40
Originally posted by pyblood
My company manufactures metal buildings, and the drafting department was looking at getting some 3D CAD software. We are currently using AutoCAD LT.

Hello from a fellow metal building guy! I work as a consultant for metal buildings folks.

I think you need to stick with AutoCAD regardless of the price. There's the whole issue of compatibility with others. $3500 isn't extreme for software related to structural engineering. I can't seem to buy anything anymore for a 3-digit number.

If I was worried about the price, I'd probably try to struggle along by buying one copy of the full-blown version and keep everybody else on LT.

DBD