Hi everyone,

Anybody familiar with the legal / technical aspect regarding the possession of:
1. knives
2. collapsible batons

In the following areas:
a. street
b. public transport
c. mall

Also, are there classifications regarding knives? Eg. Butterfly, folder, fixed-blade, utility – or are knives simply grouped under “bladed weapons”?

Are there really guidelines about these o “diskarte lang”?

Thanks in advance!

Brawnless

Eye Cutter
07-05-2005, 07:24
unless you are a butcher, vaciador, or any other profession in need of a bladed instrument, all are illegal under an old marcos era law or something.

so diskarte na lang

mikey177
07-05-2005, 07:39
Section 3 of Presidential Decree No. 9 issued in October 2, 1972 states that: "It is unlawful to carry outside of residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as fanknife, spear, dagger, bolo, balisong, barong, kris or club, except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood and while being used in connection therewith; and any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment ranging from five to ten years x x x

This strict law has not been repealed. Technically, therefore, the law still stands, as I have confirmed in an email I sent long ago to the PNP Public Information Office.

However, if you search for "PD 9" on Google Philippines, you will find quite a few Supreme Court decisions wherein the tribunal sided with the defendant who was caught carrying the blade, provided that defendant was not doing so to carry out subversive or destabilizing acts. Quite interesting reading, actually.

Personally, I'm with Doc EC on this one... diskarte na lang. It would be better to avoid getting caught by the authorities altogether; concealed is concealed.

9MX
07-05-2005, 07:43
carry the leatherman wave! di lang pampamilya, pangsports pa!

mikol
07-05-2005, 08:04
Originally posted by 9MX
carry the leatherman wave! di lang pampamilya, pangsports pa!

leatherman pala yun mannix? ;P kala ko rea rubbing alcohol. ;g ;e ;)

attyjpl
07-05-2005, 10:33
Originally posted by mikey177
Section 3 of Presidential Decree No. 9 issued in October 2, 1972 states that: "It is unlawful to carry outside of residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as fanknife, spear, dagger, bolo, balisong, barong, kris or club, except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood and while being used in connection therewith; and any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment ranging from five to ten years x x x

This strict law has not been repealed. Technically, therefore, the law still stands, as I have confirmed in an email I sent long ago to the PNP Public Information Office.

However, if you search for "PD 9" on Google Philippines, you will find quite a few Supreme Court decisions wherein the tribunal sided with the defendant who was caught carrying the blade, provided that defendant was not doing so to carry out subversive or destabilizing acts. Quite interesting reading, actually.

Personally, I'm with Doc EC on this one... diskarte na lang. It would be better to avoid getting caught by the authorities altogether; concealed is concealed.

this PD No. 9 actually has a loophole. a client of mine sometime ago was arrested by the police for carrying a "swiss knife". prior to his arrest, he went inside shoe mart and the guard tried to bring him to the security office but since he refused to surrender his swiss knife, one of the guards called the nearest police station. two cops arrived and hauled him to the station.

one of the glib-tongued cops blabbered about his "legal" know-how (nagdudunong-dunungan, ika nga) regarding PD No. 9 so i lectured him about a seemingly unnoticeable flaw in the law. PD No. 9 did not "EXPRESSLY" and "SPECIFICALLY" state how long the bladed weapon should be to fall under its coverage. the truth is, PD No. 9 covers only those bladed weapons with a length of at least SIX INCHES or more (measured by the blade only and not including the handle). in short, lahat ng less than 6 inches ay hindi considered deadly or bladed weapon, which includes the famous swiss knife.

batons are, i think, perfectly legal to be owned and carried anywhere.

yung nagdudunung-dunungan na pulis ay 1st yr. law student pala that time sa isang law school sa u-belt area. i wonder if that guy already passed the bar by now. ;z

doctabako
07-05-2005, 10:44
Section 3 of Presidential Decree No. 9 issued in October 2, 1972 states that: "It is unlawful to carry outside of residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as fanknife, spear, dagger, bolo, balisong , barong, kris or club, except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood and while being used in connection therewith; and any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment ranging from five to ten years x x x

Let's see them try and implement this here in Batangas province. They'd have to jail a sizable number of the adult male population as well as more than a few females ;f Diskarte na lang talaga yan :)

9MX
07-05-2005, 17:35
Originally posted by mikol
leatherman pala yun mannix? ;P kala ko rea rubbing alcohol. ;g ;e ;)

hehehe, "rea" ba yun? i think it was family rubbing alcohol;f

PMMA97
07-05-2005, 19:26
Originally posted by attyjpl

Are batons not clubs? Those retractable batons can be deadly in the trained hands.

kerwin
07-05-2005, 19:43
Originally posted by PMMA97
Are batons not clubs? Those retractable batons can be deadly in the trained hands.

and so are umbrellas, broomstick handles or even a bunch of keys when used properly.

9MX
07-05-2005, 20:21
trained hands - includes boxers, those who know how box (very popular these days), BJJ, Muay Thai stylists, etc.

i heard that in the US, batons and even the big maglites are illegal. maybe our US friends can comment on this.:)

jasonub
07-05-2005, 20:22
i carry an asp lightweight baton and a benchmade afck folder. The baton is always in my clutch bag while the knife is always on me. before this i had my usp and the knife but the government does not want us to carry a gun thus i bought the baton

Allegra
07-05-2005, 20:59
I still prefer my new balance 705
Sayunachi is my prefered martial arts style

PMMA97
07-05-2005, 21:19
Originally posted by kerwin
and so are umbrellas, broomstick handles or even a bunch of keys when used properly.

But they are not specified under the Presidential Decree. :)

PMMA97
07-05-2005, 21:26
ooops double post. sorry.

Eye Cutter
07-05-2005, 23:33
Sayunachi is my prefered martial arts style

yes! that is still the best martial arts style! hahahaha!!!

rhino465
07-05-2005, 23:50
Originally posted by 9MX
i heard that in the US, batons and even the big maglites are illegal. maybe our US friends can comment on this.:)

It depends on the state in question. Here in Indiana, it's perfectly okay to carry a baton or maglite. However, we need to keep in mind that they are considered "deadly force" when used as defensive weapons, so the same standards apply that go with use of a firearm for defense.

In other states with laws reminiscent of the former Soviet Union, carrying a baton will probably get you into big trouble.

If you know how to use it, a baton or other type of stick is probably the best defense against a knife-wielding assailant who is close enough that your sidearm offers no advantage.

mikey177
07-05-2005, 23:50
... the truth is, PD No. 9 covers only those bladed weapons with a length of at least SIX INCHES or more (measured by the blade only and not including the handle). in short, lahat ng less than 6 inches ay hindi considered deadly or bladed weapon, which includes the famous swiss knife...

attyjpl,

Would you have a reference or source material that expressly states this 6-inch rule? Is it in the Implementing Rules & Regulations of PD 9? I've been trying to find something concrete to support the contention that any blade below 6 inches is legal, but I've found nothing yet.

mikol
07-06-2005, 00:12
Originally posted by 9MX
hehehe, "rea" ba yun? i think it was family rubbing alcohol;f
oo nga ano "family" pala yun. errr....na inom ko siguro yun alcohol kaya pangalan na noong seksing chick na kapitbahay namin dati yun nasabi ko. ;e ;) (walang malisya yun ha!)

mikol
07-06-2005, 00:19
Originally posted by 9MX
trained hands - includes boxers, those who know how box (very popular these days), BJJ, Muay Thai stylists, etc.
don't forget the eskrima d arnis of Mr. Cakoy Canite of "dose paris" in Cebu City. A retractable baton on their hands are much deadlier than a perps knife or gun in close combat.:cool:

9MX
07-06-2005, 00:53
don't forget the eskrima d arnis of Mr. Cakoy Canite of "dose paris" in Cebu City. A retractable baton on their hands are much deadlier than a perps knife or gun in close combat.:cool:

that's true. arnis aka kali abroad is one of the deadliest filipino martial arts (fma).

mikey177
07-06-2005, 01:29
Speaking of batons, does anyone where one could get good training on the use of a tonfa or PR24 baton, like the one in the attachment?

I was pleasantly surprised to see them on sale in Baguio the last time that I went there that I bought one because of its inexpensive price.

Taurus
07-06-2005, 06:35
this PD No. 9 actually has a loophole. xxx

one of the glib-tongued cops blabbered about his "legal" know-how (nagdudunong-dunungan, ika nga) regarding PD No. 9 so i lectured him about a seemingly unnoticeable flaw in the law. PD No. 9 did not "EXPRESSLY" and "SPECIFICALLY" state how long the bladed weapon should be to fall under its coverage. the truth is, PD No. 9 covers only those bladed weapons with a length of at least SIX INCHES or more (measured by the blade only and not including the handle). in short, lahat ng less than 6 inches ay hindi considered deadly or bladed weapon, which includes the famous swiss knife.

yung nagdudunung-dunungan na pulis ay 1st yr. law student pala that time sa isang law school sa u-belt area. i wonder if that guy already passed the bar by now. ;z

I am with Mikey177 on this one. I am not aware of any rule that limits the application of PD 9 to bladed weapons with blade lengths of at least six inches. The seemingly unnoticeable flaw to PD 9 is, to me, unnoticeable. Must be my u belt law education.

Pardon me as well for my limited abilities at logical reasoning, but if PD 9 does not expressly and specifically state how long a bladed weapon should be to fall within its coverage, then from where does one derive the conclusion that only bladed weapons with blade lengths of at least six inches are covered by the law?

Besides, most balisongs (fan knives), folders, switch blades, throwing knives and razors have blades only about four inches in length. In fact, most fighting and hunting knives (with the obvious exceptions of Rambo's and Crocodile Dundee's)have blade lengths of less than six inches. Six inches is quite long for a knife blade. The legal loophole you mentioned allows almost all bladed weapons save for specialty kitchen knives, swords and early bayonets.

I am keenly interested in a more detailed explanation and justification of the legal flaw you just described. I am certain that some of the other BOG members are equally interested. That way, when some blaberring "dunung-dunungan" policemen accost them regarding the five-inch blade hunting knife they have sheated in their jeans pocket - a knife that they believe they can legally carry around on the basis of the "seemingly unnoticeable flaw" in the law you mentioned - they can accurately explain the legal loophole you have described and avoid spending the next five to ten years of their youthful lives in jail.

Oh, and I'm chiming in with PMMA 97: isn't a baton a club?

Eye Cutter
07-06-2005, 07:25
^5 bravo! ~hg

good post, taurus! ^6

PMMA97
07-06-2005, 07:33
I am not any way near to being a lawyer but found a Batas Pambansa Bilang 6 which states:

BATAS PAMBANSA Blg. 6 November 21, 1978

AN ACT REDUCING THE PENALTY FOR ILLEGAL POSSESSION OF BLADED, POINTED OR BLUNT WEAPONS, AND FOR OTHER PURPOSES, AMENDING FOR THE PURPOSE PRESIDENTIAL DECREE NUMBERED NINE.

Section 1. Paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine is hereby amended to read as follows:

"3. It is unlawful to carry outside of one's residence any bladed, pointed or blunt weapon such as "knife", "spear", "pana", "dagger", "bolo", "barong", "kris", or "chako", except where such articles are being used as necessary tools or implements to earn a livelihood or in pursuit of a lawful activity. Any person found guilty thereof shall suffer the penalty of imprisonment of not less than one month nor more than one year or a fine of not less than Two Hundred Pesos nor more than Two Thousand Pesos, or both such imprisonment and fine as the Court may direct."

Section 2. Article twenty-two of the Revised Penal Code shall apply to persons previously convicted under paragraph three of Presidential Decree Numbered Nine.

Section 3. Any law or ordinance which is inconsistent herewith is hereby repealed.

Section 4. This Act shall take effect upon its approval.

Approved: November 21, 1978

But still no sign of the "less than 6 inches" thingie.

Eye Cutter
07-06-2005, 07:51
next time sitahin kayo ng sikyo, sabihin ninyo manikurista kayo. kelangan ninyo ng blade pang tanggal ng ingrown!

hahaha!

doctabako
07-06-2005, 09:26
The most popular size for the Balisong is the Beinte-Nueve or 29 cm variety measured as a whole(including the handle). The blade length of these types is set at 5 1\2 inches. If there is indeed a provision pegging the allowable length to 6 inches, it comes off as quite curious as this commonly used implement in jeepney hold-ups was exempted by this PD and as stated by Taurus virtually exempts almost all of the other bladed weapons.

When I was in high school and college, I was of the impression that the legal length was 4 inches(according to sabe sabe :) ) although I also have yet to find anything to support this in my Mom's law books. According to her, the prescribed length may have been inserted in local municipal or city ordinances.

It struck me that these numbers ( 4 and 6 ) roughly approximated the average size range of the filipino male's dipstick with a mean of 5 1/2 inches. Anything above would therefore be construed as deadly ;f ;f ;f

attyjpl
07-06-2005, 09:31
Originally posted by Taurus
I am with Mikey177 on this one. I am not aware of any rule that limits the application of PD 9 to bladed weapons with blade lengths of at least six inches. The seemingly unnoticeable flaw to PD 9 is, to me, unnoticeable. Must be my u belt law education.

Pardon me as well for my limited abilities at logical reasoning, but if PD 9 does not expressly and specifically state how long a bladed weapon should be to fall within its coverage, then from where does one derive the conclusion that only bladed weapons with blade lengths of at least six inches are covered by the law?

Besides, most balisongs (fan knives), folders, switch blades, throwing knives and razors have blades only about four inches in length. In fact, most fighting and hunting knives (with the obvious exceptions of Rambo's and Crocodile Dundee's)have blade lengths of less than six inches. Six inches is quite long for a knife blade. The legal loophole you mentioned allows almost all bladed weapons save for specialty kitchen knives, swords and early bayonets.

I am keenly interested in a more detailed explanation and justification of the legal flaw you just described. I am certain that some of the other BOG members are equally interested. That way, when some blaberring "dunung-dunungan" policemen accost them regarding the five-inch blade hunting knife they have sheated in their jeans pocket - a knife that they believe they can legally carry around on the basis of the "seemingly unnoticeable flaw" in the law you mentioned - they can accurately explain the legal loophole you have described and avoid spending the next five to ten years of their youthful lives in jail.

Oh, and I'm chiming in with PMMA 97: isn't a baton a club?

there is an old decision by the phil. supreme court on this 6-inch matter. let me check and find this.

the loophole in the law works for anyone and what only matters is which side you are on. of course, the police will always have their own interpretation of the law (knowing their mentality). just be careful with cops who are also lawyers.

the information i have just provided may work for anyone who finds himself in an actual situation, meaning, being caught with a knife. be polite and diplomatic when arguing with the police. if you explain to them carefully, they might understand and let you go. it has worked for me. it might work for you.

this is OT but i think this is relevant to the issue at hand. i remembered an incident involving a driver's license. about 2 yrs. ago, i was on board a passenger jeep bound for cainta. i was sitting in front beside the driver. the driver beat the red light and there comes a traffic police on the other side of the intersection flagging down the jeep. the cop demanded for the poor driver's license but he wouldn't want to give it so he was bargaining with the cop for a "lagay". the cop signalled the driver to proceed to the outpost a few meters away para hindi halata. when the cop went to the outpost, i told the driver NOT to surrender his driver's license. i told him that it is ILLEGAL to do so considering that the apprehending officer should just issue a TVR (traffic violation receipt). he asked who i was so i told him i am a lawyer. sabi ko, ako bahala sa kanya. so i went with the driver to the cop who was then waiting inside his outpost.

i introduced myself and politely told the cop about what i know about confiscating driver's licenses. he was mad and threatened to arrest me. his line of reasoning was this: if he will not confiscate the driver's license, how can the driver pay for his violation? sabi nya, "wala akong mapang-hahawakan na ebidensya laban sa driver." i told him to read the TVR. there is something written in the TVR that if the driver does not REDEEM the TVR within 30 days, the government can file a case against him for violation of traffic laws in the metropolitan or municipal trial court. again, there is a supreme court decision (i think its the case of GONONG VS. METRO MANILA COMMISSION) which declared illegal the confiscation of driver's licenses and plate numbers because the latter are considered PROPERTY of the owner which should not be taken without due process of law.

the cop probably realized his ignorance so he just told the driver to give him "pang tanghalian" and that he will just let him go. tuwang tuwa yung mamang drayber at pati ako nakalibre ng pamasahe.

the 6-inch issue about knives and the driver's license and plate numbers are both the result of "law-making deficiencies". the moral lesson in this is, just be smart enough to "sneak" your way out when confronted with a situation. wala namang masama kung mangatwiran ka di ba? ;f

9MX
07-06-2005, 09:45
the 6-inch issue about knives and the driver's license and plate numbers are both the result of "law-making deficiencies".

hayyy, laws always have deficiencies, gray areas, cloaked in ambiguity. otherwise, lawyers would be jobless.

peace taurus and attypl...hehehehe;f

Eye Cutter
07-06-2005, 09:47
Originally posted by doctabako
Anything above would therefore be construed as deadly ;f ;f ;f

syete! deadly weapon pala ako!

ahahahahahaha!!!!!;a

mikol
07-06-2005, 10:01
Originally posted by Eye Cutter

ahahahahahaha!!!!!;a
parehas pala tayo Doc E_C! nya.ha.ha..ha...!!! ;N ;N kailangan ma e tago maigi baka makasuhan pa ng illegal possession of deadly weapon.;e ;)

doctabako
07-06-2005, 10:09
kailangan ma e tago maigi baka makasuhan pa ng illegal possession of deadly weapon.;e ;)

It's easy to conceal, retractable naman e! ;f Huwag lang dadaan si Anna Leah Javier o si Amanda Griffin sa harap ko ;a

mikol
07-06-2005, 10:15
It's easy to conceal, retractable naman e! ;f Huwag lang dadaan si Anna Leah Javier o si Amanda Griffin sa harap ko ;a
nyaha..!! patay, e kung k rica nga't ki juliana talo-talo na sa kanila pa kayang dalawa. ^7 ^5

agentrod
07-06-2005, 17:44
Originally posted by Eye Cutter

ahahahahahaha!!!!!;a

Paano yun? Sometimes deadly... sometimes hindi;Q

ppts799
07-06-2005, 20:05
the "sabe-sabe" i heard through sales people in knife stores is that 3" is the legal length of the blade. if we can come up with something concrete about the 6" limit, im going straight to urban shang...

9MX
07-06-2005, 20:56
Originally posted by ppts799
the "sabe-sabe" i heard through sales people in knife stores ...

may kasabihan, ang nakikinig sa sa sabi-sabi, walang ba..............;f

mikey177
07-06-2005, 20:58
Pio,

Are the knives at Urban on sale too during the week of the gun show? Will be in QC next week for a seminar, and will of course pass by the gun show during the evening, but if Urban is having a sale, then I might just make a detour there also :)

ppts799
07-07-2005, 01:50
mx,
just using the term of doctabako

mikey,
i'm not sure, but i don't think urban follows gunshow sale.

Alexii
07-07-2005, 03:35
Speaking of Urban, they sell something quite interesting: plastic knives by Cold Steel. These knives have glass particles embedded in for strength. They can be sharpened for slashing but I think the main purpose is stabbing.

I have a similar folding knife given to me by a GT'er. It can pass walk-thru metal detectors (tried it) and the Garrett.

Mikey, nice avatar. Voltes Bazooooookkkkkaaaaa!!!!! Man, those were the days!

mikol
07-07-2005, 04:04
Originally posted by Alexii
Speaking of Urban, they sell something quite interesting: plastic knives by Cold Steel. These knives have glass particles embedded in for strength. They can be sharpened for slashing but I think the main purpose is stabbing.

I have a similar folding knife given to me by a GT'er. It can pass walk-thru metal detectors (tried it) and the Garrett.

this knife sound cool. have to check it as soon as i arrive dyan sa pinas. maganda pang gamit to sa fishing yun di kinakalawang tsaka pwede ko dalhin pabalik dito. :)

mikey177
07-07-2005, 05:18
Originally posted by Alexii
Mikey, nice avatar. Voltes Bazooooookkkkkaaaaa!!!!! Man, those were the days!

Yeah, I figured it was about time I got an avatar. I was trying to decide between Steve Armstrong's revolver or the Voltes bazooka, but the latter just seemed more appropriate.

Besides, I don't ride a motorcycle ;f

doctabako
07-07-2005, 07:28
Yeah, I figured it was about time I got an avatar. I was trying to decide between Steve Armstrong's revolver or the Voltes bazooka, but the latter just seemed more appropriate.

Do you have a picture or link to one of Aphrodite-A( Female robot in Mazinger Z) shooting off her chest rockets. That scene never failed to amuse me in those days ;f fire one....fire two.. and a resulting flat chested robot ^~

ppts799
07-07-2005, 21:40
Do you have a picture or link to one of Aphrodite-A( Female robot in Mazinger Z) shooting off her chest rockets. That scene never failed to amuse me in those days ;f fire one....fire two.. and a resulting flat chested robot ^~
;z ;z ;z man, that stuck in my mind too. worse, mazinger Z held the rockets to fly and catch up with the bad guys. how weird.;b

JuDGe
07-07-2005, 21:50
;z ;z ;z man, that stuck in my mind too. worse, mazinger Z held the rockets to fly and catch up with the bad guys. how weird.;b

walang malisya yun! ;J

peace! ;f

doctabako
07-08-2005, 04:57
Originally posted by JuDGe
walang malisya yun! ;J

Yes, of course :) To refresh our memory, this is how Aphrodite A looked like with the boob missiles(this is a toy, wasn't able to find anime pics) from this site http://ldf.plion.it/nagai/gx-08.htm

http://ldf.plion.it/nagai/immagini/soc/aphrodai_05a.jpg

mikey177
07-08-2005, 05:47
All I could find was this box cover for a Bandai toy:

http://www.funavenue.com/gx-08ma.jpg

I couldn't find any cartoon still shots of Aprhodite A either, but I too remember the scene ppts799 was referring to. No wonder children of the 80s grew up to be so horny ;f

doctabako
07-08-2005, 06:08
All I could find was this box cover for a Bandai toy:

http://www.funavenue.com/gx-08ma.jpg

I couldn't find any cartoon still shots of Aprhodite A either, but I too remember the scene ppts799 was referring to. No wonder children of the 80s grew up to be so horny ;f

Ouch! :)

Seems that the Aphrodite A pictured here sports new weapons albeit still centered on that strategic part of the anatomy. In keeping with the title of this thread, those are boob knives and flail:)

Eye Cutter
07-08-2005, 07:45
sino ba diyan si friend ni wp22 and neighbor ni gunfool?

^~ `l

PMMA97
07-08-2005, 13:24

http://newpowerinc.com/images/AphroditeMissile_small.jpg

Blazing Sword! Wala din pong malisya ;f

darwin25
07-08-2005, 22:14
Anybody remember her? Si Annie na laging kita panty kapag tumatalon. Its just what we have always been waiting for everytime we watch Shaider when we were still kids. HAHAHA. I know I have a picture of that scene somewhere in my computer but this is all I could find

darwin25
07-08-2005, 22:24
the "sabe-sabe" i heard through sales people in knife stores is that 3" is the legal length of the blade. if we can come up with something concrete about the 6" limit, im going straight to urban shang...

Another funny and somewhat irritating sabe-sabe: Whatever the length ,in inches, of your knife is also the number of years you are going to stay in jail. Same goes for the finger holes in your brass knuckles;z

vinsdr
07-10-2005, 09:53
for all you voltes v fans... try looking here in this web site.
i guarantee it will make you smile and bring tears to your eyes. hehehe...

http://users.animanga.com/voltesv

vinsdr
07-10-2005, 09:57

Besides, I don't ride a motorcycle ;f

sir, may i suggest browsing this website. a sure winner...

http://users.animanga.com/voltesv

mikey177
07-11-2005, 00:43
Thanks for the link, vinsdr.

It looks like I'm not going to get any work done this afternoon. I'm downloading the MP3s as we speak :)

vinsdr
07-11-2005, 16:44
i'm very gald you like it sir. you're welcome po.