Getting in shape for bootcamp! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting in shape for bootcamp!

jonathon
07-06-2005, 14:10
Anyone got any recomendations? My body is very strong, and I do lots of hiking and walking. I just have excess body weight! And I know that the Army won't see it as a good thing since I'm slow on the mile run! I got at least a year, probably 2 years to work at it, depends on what life throws at me this year.

I should be down to 210 for my height, though I am currently 240-250 and 6'3. I know the reason I have a hard time running the mile is 'cause of the extra padding I carry around.

Add in the fact I'm not very responsible in that department.. and yeah ;P

Suggestions please! I know it will take work, just trying to figure out what to do..

modgun
07-07-2005, 03:21
Walking/jogging is your friend.
5+ days a week.

Week one-1 mile/day
Next 2 weeks-2 miles/day
Next 3 weeks-3 miles/day
etc, until you are doing at least 6 miles a day. (go up to 8 if you can)

Start with about 25% jogging and 75% walking, as your stamina builds increase the jog/decrease the walk until you are running the entire time.

At your size you need to ease into this much running.

modgun
07-07-2005, 03:36
And dont forget to stretch!

kestrou
07-07-2005, 12:20
It's all a matter of calories - you need a 3,500 calorie deficit to lose a pound so hop to it! <grin>

Based on your weight, a mile (either walking or running) should burn up about 220 calories. You got that right, doesn't really matter if you walk that mile or run it - you burn the same calories. (Yes, for the wizenheimers in the crowd, after a run your body will burn a few more in the cooldown than it would compared to a walk, but that's really neglible compared to the workout itself.)

There's plenty of other calorie burning exercises, but running/walking are some of the best when you look at calories burned per hour - and we all want to lose weight "quickly" as opposed to "slowly".

Hint #2: Bite the bullet and drink only diet soda. It's amazing the "empty calories" the average person drinks in Coke, Pepsi, etc.

kestrou

California Jack
07-07-2005, 17:50
A lot of military people follow the CROSSFIT PROTOCOL. (http://www.crossfit.com)

Good luck.

jonathon
07-10-2005, 00:45
Since the 4th is over, no more soda till pretty much next year anyways..

And I have just recently started up walking a ton, mainly since I want to do some of the bigger hikes in the Gorge without being sore the next day..

We'll see..

garythenuke
07-10-2005, 16:32
Give a look to the crossfit site. THose folks are really hardcore, and in fact I know few people who could do most of that stuff. But if you start now, in two years you should breeze through boot camp. You can look up the PT score requirements for the various services on the net, and test yourself periodically to see how you are coming along. By then the physical part of Boot will be the least of your worries.

RENEA
07-18-2005, 19:11
Hydrate, stretch and start a cardiovascular exercise program. The 2 mile run is what most soldiers fail. The APFT is conducted in 3 phases:

The push up event: where you'll have 2 mins to do as many correct repetitions as you can.

The sit up event: where you'll again have 2 mins to do as many sit ups as you can.

The 2 mile run event: You'll be taken to a run course where you'll have a certain ammount of time to complete the run (16:00 or less IIRC).

You're going to run ALOT in Basic. Invest in some quality running shoes to avoid shin splints. Start drinking water and avoid alcohol 14 days prior to reporting.

Good luck!