DVD's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : DVD's

DeadMansLife
07-06-2005, 15:37
Whats the difference between DVD+R and DVD-R?

10Forward
07-06-2005, 16:16
On the playback side, there is virtually no difference. Most DVD players made after 2002 (give or take) that can play recordable DVDs will play back both. some will say which they support outright, others bury that info in the manual someplace.

On the recordable side, if you plan on using either one, you must have a recorder that supports it. But that was only for the early DVD recorders. Virtually everything made right now supports every flavor DVD-R and DVD-RW + or -.

Neither will deliver better audio or video quality. If anything it was just a group of companies pushing one over the other because they were going to receive royalties from it. And that goes for the + and - camp.

What's the reason for the qustion by the way?

- Tony

Washington,D.C.
07-06-2005, 16:20
The two formats aren't campatible with each other.DVD+R can record/write at slightly faster speed.Not a huge difference though.They both should be able to play in DVD movie players.They may not work in older DVD rom drives.There are now at least a couple of "HD" DVD formats and DVD-RAM,which has high capacity but won't play in other drives.And then there's the double layer DVD's.DVD+R is only a bit newer and might have some slight advantage.In America,DVD-R became popular before there was DVD+R.So it might be more popular in the US.In other countries,DVD writers weren't all that popular until later due to the cost.In many other countries DVD+R is more popular because it was the fastest format when DVD writers began to sell in those countries.I see a lot of DVD-R in the US but abroad I see mostly DVD+R.

DeadMansLife
07-06-2005, 16:24
Originally posted by 10Forward
What's the reason for the qustion by the way?

Just bought an hp pavilion a820n XPh with DVD burner and found myself a bit confused when I went to buy blank DVD's.

Thanks for the help.

Washington,D.C.
07-06-2005, 16:26
Blank DVD's are about 5 times the price of blank CD's.

DeadMansLife
07-06-2005, 16:28
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Blank DVD's are about 5 times the price of blank CD's.

I noticed that today. Buying them for movies not storage.

Thanks DC

Washington,D.C.
07-06-2005, 17:03
I've recorded movies on both CD's(2 CD to a movie) and DVD.I've found with the time and expense required that if there are any movies somebody wants to keep,it's best to just buy them.