I need to STOP an oil leak [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need to STOP an oil leak

sbstudley
07-06-2005, 16:06
I am trying to sell my wifes 1991 Ford Aerostar van. It is in clean condition except for that pesky oil leak.
My mechanic says it is not worth the $$$$ to fix it right Soooo.... I need to know if there is any remedies that will stop the leak at least so I can sell the vehicle.
Thanks in advance.

Steve S

GlockFan9mm
07-06-2005, 17:28
Where is it leaking from?

sbstudley
07-06-2005, 20:11
Originally posted by GlockFan9mm
Where is it leaking from?

I am not sure where the leak is coming from.At this point I am thinking of changing the oil to straight 40 weight and adding a bottle of stop leak.
What do you think?

Steve S

Geeorge
07-07-2005, 04:53
Try tightening up the valve cover and oil pan gaskets,maybe they are just loose and not blown;)

ATI_RAGE_
07-07-2005, 09:58
Sometimes gaskets start to fail, I'd say find out where it is from, and if it something simple I'd say fix it yourself or see if a local highschool/college autoshop class may do it and you just buy the parts.

emarsh
07-07-2005, 23:10
I'd start by cleaning the engine. Gunk makes a spray that you apply, wait 15 minutes then hose off. Once its clean then I would try to determine where the leak is coming from. Once you know that its a matter of fixing it. There is some stuff you can buy in spray cans that will stop leaks in many cases. Not sure how long it lasts but it might get your car sold.

sbstudley
07-08-2005, 16:19
Originally posted by emarsh
I'd start by cleaning the engine. Gunk makes a spray that you apply, wait 15 minutes then hose off. Once its clean then I would try to determine where the leak is coming from. Once you know that its a matter of fixing it. There is some stuff you can buy in spray cans that will stop leaks in many cases. Not sure how long it lasts but it might get your car sold.
Thanks emarsh I will look for it.

Steve S

juma
07-22-2005, 13:48
its a permatex product. called form-a-seal, part number 82096. I sealed up some valve covers on a mustang for me and lasted 30k. you can also just get permatex black gasket sealer and dab it on. that did well on a time chain cover that was leaking. juma