New laptop, want to wipe off XP Home and Install Pro. Question: [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New laptop, want to wipe off XP Home and Install Pro. Question:

MGomez81
07-06-2005, 22:42
My Dell 700m came with a decent amount of software crap, which I have already uninstalled leaving just the stuff I want.

I can always download stuff like Windows Media Player and other such programs, but I'm worried about little things such as the pointer program for my laptop, and the neat little wireless network detector...

Is there a way to install my copy of Win XP Pro without wiping that stuff off?

Or should I just wipe everything during the XP install and find a way to reinstall those important little things like the Dell support programs and pointer program?

Suggestions, advice, insight... thank you gang!

Edited to add: Windows is running pretty slow. This thing is brand new, it shouldn't be sluggish.

pyblood
07-06-2005, 23:07
I have been in your same position before. I have had laptops that came with XP home, but I want to upgrade them to Pro. I like some of the apps that the manufacture installs, but fr the most part, I just was my OS and drivers.

I would not recommend doing an upgrade to Pro from Home. I would format the current partition and do a clean install of XP pro. Usually Dell gives you a driver disk that has all of the little apps and device drivers that they included on the laptop. If you donít have a separate driver disc, you can always download the drivers from the Dell website.

You said that itís a little sluggish. How much RAM do you have installed in that laptop?

MGomez81
07-06-2005, 23:15
256mb

Yes, I've already got my finger on the trigger for a 1gb stick from Newegg. ;)

So you recommend a clean install, huh? No, I didn't get that little CD with all the stuff on it, but I could check out Dell's site for it, or just call Dell and ask them for it, worst case scenario.

Washington,D.C.
07-07-2005, 11:48
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=INS_PNT_PM_700M&os=WW1&osl=EN

Washington,D.C.
07-07-2005, 11:51
That will have the drivers and CD/dvd writing softweare.Without the CD's from Dell it looks like you won't have the office programs.I use Open Office.It's free but it is a huge program.

EvilGenius
07-07-2005, 20:02
Originally posted by MGomez81
No, I didn't get that little CD with all the stuff on it, but I could check out Dell's site for it, or just call Dell and ask them for it, worst case scenario.

As someone who used to work at Dell, I can tell you that you should have gotten a driver disk with your new computer. As well as an XPHome reinstall cd.

If you didn't get your driver disk, you need to call them immediately and try to have one sent out because I can tell you from tons of experience that you WILL get bitten in the ass by not having one eventually.

As far as the question, yeah, I always do clean installs with my Dell notebooks. It's just easier

EvilGenius
07-07-2005, 20:08
Also, if you were running a tweaked version of windoze before this one, then it will seem really sluggish. Personally, thats one of the first things I do after firewall A/V on a clean install. It runs so much faster it's amazing

MGomez81
07-07-2005, 20:20
Thank you all for your assistance.

I went ahead and did a clean wipe of the harddrive, and installed XP Pro with SP1. Before I did that however, I burned some of the folders that looked to have the important drivers and programs. Those drivers online also helped a lot, since those were executable files, and that has me pretty much where I'd like to be. Still trying to work out the intricacies of the wireless card, the Broadcom 10/100, and the modem; and being able to get myself on the internet. I'm learning though.

I see about 13 wireless networks that get picked up by my Intel 2295 a/b/g wireless card.

Still figuring this puppy out. She is not as sluggish anymore. Not as fast as my desktop, no doubt, but reasonable at this point. I need to pick up that 1gig stick of RAM and try my hand at installing it on a laptop.

Oh and the backpack.

And the bluetooth adapter.

And...

These little things are money drains!

;f