Strange partition anomaly...... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Strange partition anomaly......

DonL
07-07-2005, 03:16
I have a 160GB hd that I made a 15GB partition on. I now have 2 primary partitions. I copied the OS(WXpPro) on the larger partition to the small one. What is happening is when I make changes such as deleting files or adding software on either partition, it also happens on the other partition. I don't understand how this is happening. Anyone have a clue and what I can do to fix. Also the C drive properties in the 15GB partition shows it to be what the larger partition is. I used Acronis True Image and Disk Director for all operations. Thanks...

pyblood
07-07-2005, 07:09
I think what happened is that you had xp on the C partition and tried to move it to the D partition. That can really drive windows crazy. When you install software it will write to the C drive (old XP location) instead of the D drive (where XP is now now). You may be able change drive letters, but that can be a mess.

Check this out for me:
Right click on my computer and choose properties. Click on the advance tab and choose environmental variables. Come back here and post what is listed under system variables.

DeadMansLife
07-07-2005, 13:13
When you copied the os to the new partition it may have saved everything as a shortcut.

Goto the new drive, find the windows folder, right click properties. Under the general tab it should read "Type of file". If ir reads "Shortcut" you have just made shortcuts to the new drive.

DonL
07-07-2005, 14:17
The drive letters are the same on both partitions. Each partition is bootable, I'm using Acronis OS selector. No shortcut.

pyblood
07-07-2005, 15:01
Originally posted by DonL
The drive letters are the same on both partitions. Each partition is bootable, I'm using Acronis OS selector. No shortcut.

If both of your partitions are drive letter C, that is the problem. I would probably backup my data, reformat, and start over. That is the easiest way to fix your problem. I know that it can be a pain in the butt, but it will fix the problem.

DonL
07-07-2005, 15:25
I changed drive letter on DonsXp(15GB) to (S:), it wasn't designated before and what I think is happening is when I selected an OS to boot to, XP or DonsXP it was actually booting to the same OS which was XP(133GB). Why is it not booting to the 15GB partition seperate from the larger partition? This is weird. It would show either one or the other as being active depending on which one I booted to. The S: drive is now visible and it wasn't before.