Certifications [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Certifications

i8547
07-07-2005, 03:46
What certifications are in high demand/lasting demand these days?

novium
07-08-2005, 08:48
None, computer jobs aren't in demand unless you're uber qualified at which point you won't be posting on forums as to what in demand.

A start would be what going with what you're interested in. If you like windowz start working toward your MCSE, cable monkey like myself go the Cisco route, *nix I hear RHCE and solaris certs are ok. Either way you're pissing away good time and money for something that may or may not get you a job.

i8547
07-08-2005, 13:53

07-08-2005, 21:47
I too also hold a MCSE but most employers will hire ANYONE with exp over a cert.

So the answer to your question may be none! Exp will win over a cert anyday in the work place. If your employer is paying for certs get them, otherwise i would pass on them.

Andy

HerrGlock
07-09-2005, 03:44
Originally posted by USCG1988
Exp will win over a cert anyday in the work place.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Run it at home. Build stuff at home. Set up servers for the difference services at home. Get good at them. Do it on different operating systems.

DanH

Cryptoboy
07-10-2005, 10:36
Originally posted by HerrGlock
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Run it at home. Build stuff at home. Set up servers for the difference services at home. Get good at them. Do it on different operating systems.

DanH

Not quite the experience that an employer is looking for though.........

I think certifications are a total waste of time and money. At this point I refuse to take any more of the tests/classes (took the classes/MCSE NT4 way back when) unless the company I work for will pay for them (since I work for an IT outsourcing company, it's easier to get them to cover things like that!)

David_G17
07-10-2005, 14:34
Originally posted by Cryptoboy

worked with my employer.

HerrGlock
07-10-2005, 15:17
Originally posted by Cryptoboy

Really?

The last four or five people I hired, I looked specifically for what they did off hours. I want someone who actually likes this stuff and not "it's just a job" types. Burn out rate is too high to have people half hating it before they ever walk through the door.

DanH

Cryptoboy
07-10-2005, 22:33
That never worked for anyone I knew that was starting out. Most of the employers I talked to when I was starting out could care less that I was taking the MCSE courses/tests, and did alot of the stuff at home. It wasn't until I had gotten a few contract jobs that it helped. I even got to assist with the hiring process for someone to help me out with the desktop support at one time, and that was something my boss said she didn't care much about (the home network/training). Very few people I knew starting out had much success going this route (of course, very few had any success taking the MCSE courses either, with no experience!) This was in California back in 99/00.

Now of course, I don't get asked about certifications when I get called by recruiters and such; they'll ask as an after thought, and when I mention mine expired (NT4), they always say no big deal given my background and experience.......

NGWT
07-13-2005, 22:32
Originally posted by HerrGlock
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DanH

Yup. This will win almost everytime. It helps you learn, which gives you confidence and experience to get hired.

I got hired at Microsoft (many moons ago) strictly from being self-taught.

Currently I have an Athlon 64 box and a new EM64T Dual-Core box to test with (quad-boots.) Also have a couple old P3 500s dualies with a few gigs of ram that are just waiting for a single cable so I can build a cluster that dual-boots W2K3 and Linux. Going to tie all of them together with an old AMD box that'll run a Domain Controller.

Oh, also bought a MiniMac. It was just so cute. ;)