Anyone throw the javelin??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone throw the javelin???

garythenuke
07-07-2005, 07:13
I am going to take up the javelin. My dad introduced me to it, and I fell in love with it. He was a nationally ranked masters thrower (in the geeser age group), and at one time had a world ranking (in the just-under-geeser age group).
Anyway, I am going to be mostly teaching and training myself. I will try to find books and videos for technique, but I am wondering what the best way to get into shape for the javelin is.

If anyone has had experience in high school, college or masters level competition I would appreciate advice.

Thanks in advance,
garythenuke

California Jack
07-10-2005, 12:58
Gary,

No experience with the javelin, wish I had. I'd of been on the track team in high school insted of baseball if they had javelin throwing in high schools out there.

I'm sure you already know this, somewhere on Dan John's site there is some kind of javelin throwers lifting program. If you can't find it let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Jack

Glock13
07-10-2005, 14:05
Didn't they ban it from high school sports after some idiot caught one with his chest?

garythenuke
07-10-2005, 15:19
I do not know why the ban for high school, but there is no javelin in California until the college level. I would not be at all surprised to hear that some clown won the toss and elected to receive;g

Jack, I will check out Dan John's site and see if I can find the javelin specific lifting. You know how I am with searches though...

Gary

California Jack
07-10-2005, 16:39
I'm not exactly sure where it is Gary. It may be in one of the back issues of "Get Up!". I may have printed it off. If I did, it's at the office. I'll look tomorrow.

California Jack
07-10-2005, 17:09
Here ya go Gary. It's on page 42 of this PDF document.

http://danjohn.org/all.pdf

garythenuke
07-10-2005, 19:30
Dude, You Rock! ;Y

Gary

garythenuke
07-10-2005, 19:56
Jack,
I'll try it tomorrow and let you know how it goes. The only thing I am not sure on is the "power curl". I know that a strict curl is strict form, so is a power curl where you use "any means necessary"?

Gary

California Jack
07-10-2005, 21:26
Get yer Power Curl right here............

http://danjohn.org/page62.html

garythenuke
07-10-2005, 21:50
ibid...;Y

You are the Man!
gary

garythenuke
07-11-2005, 12:25
Well I did the workout. I put 78 pounds on the bar and went for it. I managed 10 sets of each exercise. After that ten sets I did ten sets of eight incline bench. This is a hugely difficult workout. I did not take the power curls all the way to the ground. Once I am in better shape perhaps that will work. I think I will also cycle sets of crunches with the incline bench.

The battery in my heart rate monitor was dead, so I just went by feel. I am sure I let my HR drop below the suggested 124 bpm. Anyway, this is a great workout. I own way too much weight:) I thought I was going to bark a few times so I would have gotten my ab workout in.

Unfortunately my stomach held, so I'll have to do some crunches later today. Once I get my heart rate monitor running I am sure I'll fill a bucket and then this will really be an all in one workout. I will probably not be throwing the javelin today, perhaps tomorrow along with some stretching.

Thanks Jack.

Gary

California Jack
07-11-2005, 17:28
Good deal Gary.

10 sets of 8 in the IBP seems like a lot of volume. Low intensity?

garythenuke
07-11-2005, 18:03
Yes, very low intensity. I could have probably gone up considerably, but honestly did not have much inclination to move the weights around. One thing I am ging to try, is doing everything with my thick grip bar. That way at least I can hit my hands and forearms.

I did do a two count pause on my chest, and then took the weight up as fast and explosively as I could on every rep of the IBP. I am kind of still re-habbing my shoulder, so light weights are fine for me right now.

It is more of an anaerobic hill sprint type workout. The only aerobic portion is coming down from my anerobic levels during the lifts. I am not sure how long the workout took, I may be able to time it if I can do it again in a few days.

Hopefully I will also have my heart rate monitor up and running so I can post some of that info as well. I feel real good right now, the workout is certainly not one that will ruin you for the whole day. I will be interested in how sore I am tomorrow if at all.

Gary

California Jack
07-11-2005, 20:42
Keep us posted.

garythenuke
07-12-2005, 10:07
Well, the only sore spots are the thighs, hips, and hamstrings/groin. Mut be due to the 240 deep reps combined between snatch, front squat, back squat...;g

Next time I will take the power curls from the floor assuming I can keep my grip with the thick bar. I am going to leave the weight alone due to the addition of the thick bar. My chest and shoulders and arms are not sore at all. Today I'll do some IBP and some throw specific strength and stretch exercises. Also to Wally World for a battery for Mr. Polar.

gary

California Jack
07-12-2005, 20:58
How'd you like power curls? When I tried 'em I kept bouncing the bar of my chest.

garythenuke
07-12-2005, 21:47
I took them up pretty high, like about my jaw line. I had to stop or I would knock myself out;)

My bicpes are not at all sore today, I may bump up the weight and just deal with the leg soreness.

Gary

garythenuke
07-16-2005, 01:45
Tonight was the second of these workouts. It has taken four days for all the soreness to leave my legs. I bumped the weight up to 85 pounds. I will be leaving it there for a while. The entire workout took me 70 minutes.
I let my heartrate drop to about 124ish before starting a new set of four exercises, with 8 reps of each exercise. My heartrate after each set of four exercises was as follows:

During the last three sets of sets, I had to rest between exercises to make it through. Interestingly, during each set, my heartrate topped out consistently where it ended up. In other words, in set one, my heartrate stayed at about 163 bpm for the whole group of four exercises. On set ten, my heartrate stayed about 146. As you can see, the intensity dropped off about every three sets. I am learning a lot here.
Tomorrow is hang clean/ press, incline bench, and crunch.

gary

California Jack
07-16-2005, 09:59
Good job Gary. ;c

I'm not sure why javelin throwers neeed that intense conditioning, but who am I to disagree with DJ?

About the bicep soreness and power curls, are you working the negatives?

Low rep sets on the clean and press?

Keep it up ;Y

garythenuke
07-16-2005, 17:20
In my new humble opinion, javelin throwers just have to be studs;a ;a

Seriously, the stamina is not that big a deal, but the movement requires tremendous snap from the legs and torso. By doing relatively light high rep snappy movements, I think this is what is being trainined.

I work the negatives to a degree. Interestingly, the power curls is what makes me feel the roughest in terms of my breathing afterwards. I took them down to my knees and them powered up. That way I could not bounce off my thighs. THat increased the intensity substantially.

On my last power curl, I do not do any negative, but instead put it directlyon the rack for my back squats. I guess if I was really studly I would not use any rack at all and just press it over my head for the squat.

During my last three sets, I even racked the bar to get ready for the front squats. I used two 10# ers on each end of the bar this time, so my snatches started out pretty low. I am not too sore now, I may get sore tonight though.

I will probably doing sets of five on the hang clean/ press. I may keep a high volume lower intensity program on my IBP to help my shoulder along. I had to hump some pretty big valves at work last night, and that pinched my shoulder a little.

THanks for the encouragement.

Gary;c

California Jack
07-16-2005, 20:40
By doing relatively light high rep snappy movements, I think this is what is being trainined.

In my old age I am coming to the realization that "Snappy" is the key to alot of things.

In my new humble opinion, javelin throwers just have to be studs

LOL

I used two 10# ers on each end of the bar this time, so my snatches started out pretty low.

When I do this, I rest the bar on two paint cans (one on each end, not one on top of the other), they're about the same/right height as bumpers. That way, my poor technique doesn't develop any bad habits. You could also rest the tens on a 25 and a 10 or two.

Keep going Gary!