Sounds like oil needed?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sounds like oil needed??

Romadoc
07-09-2005, 07:13
My Dell 4100 is now making strange noise. I don't know if it is the fan(s) or disc. Can this be repaired or is it time for the replacement? How can I diagnose the problem. Now, I just keep shutting down after brief use to avoid more problems.

07-09-2005, 16:41
Your going to have to narrow down where the noise is coming from for us.

I Suspect your CPU fan or even the fan in the PSU. You may even have a small fan attached to your vid card so if you can take the side cover off the computer and try to pin point the noise and let us know.

If its the PSU and its old i would buy a new one.

If its the CPU fan let us know what CPU you have and we can probably point you to an online source for a replacement.

any how, take a listen and let us know where the noise is coming from. This is best done with the computers left side pannel removed.

good luck and keep us posted

Andy

It may be the Hard drive also, just take a listen. May even be a wire rubbing against the blades of the CPU fan. Ya never know.

David_G17
07-10-2005, 14:31
Originally posted by Romadoc
My Dell 4100 is now making strange noise. I don't know if it is the fan(s) or disc. Can this be repaired or is it time for the replacement? How can I diagnose the problem. Now, I just keep shutting down after brief use to avoid more problems.

if it's a fan dieing, that's about a 10 dollar replacement part. if it's a hard drive problem that could be about a 50-100 dollar replacement part (depending on what you want).

it's probably going to be A LOT cheaper to fix it.

Romadoc
07-11-2005, 17:13
I called Dell and the "assembly fan" for the 4100 has been out of stock for the past 6 months and there is no forecast for when, if ever, it will be back. It looks as though I'm stuck for a new box unless someone knows of a suitable replacement.

Washington,D.C.
07-11-2005, 17:37
Is it a Dimension 4100 or an Inspiron 4100?

Washington,D.C.
07-11-2005, 17:41
http://www.discountelectronics.com/index.php?action=item&id=147&prevaction=pricelist

Romadoc
07-12-2005, 20:46
It's a Dimension 4100. USCG1988 mentioned both CPU & PSU fans. Could you please give a definition for the computer challenged? Also, WashingtonDC gave a listing for the fan assembly. Could you please give a listing for, I imagine, the PSU. I assume the CPU is the larger unit. Tomorrow, July 13, I will try to remove the case, vacuum carefully, and try to listen for the problem. I took today off to celebrate my birthday.

Washington,D.C.
07-12-2005, 21:23
The case fan assembly that Dell refers is in place of the CPU fan.The power supply should have it's own fan.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dzuul/rr.htm#chassis_cooling_fan_assembly

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dzuul/rr.htm#power_supply

Hailstorm
07-19-2005, 07:52
Use compressed air, don't vacuum. It can cause static. And thats bad. If its just a fan. 80mm? I suggest take it out. Go to a store and get the same size fan. If it has special tabs or something. Use what ever method to secure it. Zipties if you have to.

Romadoc
07-21-2005, 20:13
I sent for the part offered by Discount Electrics (as in the link provided by "WashingtonDC". However, this new part is completely different from the original. This new one has a fan attached to the heat sink and has nothing to do with the original fan assembly. This would mean disconnecting the original fan assembly and replacing the original heat sink. There is an additional warning in the 4100 manual as to the potential of damaging pins in removing the original heat sink. Your suggestions please...alternative is just to return part and go for a new box. Incidentally, sometimes the original fan starts quietly and then begins to get noisy after about ten minutes. This is purely for diagnostics at a distance.

Washington,D.C.
07-21-2005, 20:53
Normally the heatsink mounted fans will not fit the Dells without replacing the heatsink bracket on the motherboard.Some Dells have the holes in the same places and some may not.It might be best to try to match your original fan size and replace it with a case mounted fan.Replacing the heatsink bracket on the motherboard requires the motherboard be removed from the case.Even if you do this the mounting holes might not be in the same location and none of the new heatsink parts might not fit.