Very slow [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Very slow

Timothy658
07-10-2005, 00:30
I recently sent my computer in to be worked on because all I was getting was a white screen. Even after restart, the white screen would not go away. I received it back, and now every so often the computer bogs down and goes very slow. While this is happening, the hard drive light is solid, so it is doing something. I have also noticed that when I start my computer, it takes forever. Any idea what could be bogging down my computers hard drive?

Zoolander
07-10-2005, 01:52
How old is the hard drive? Sounds like it's dying.

How much RAM do you have?

Timothy658
07-10-2005, 09:53
My computer is 3 years old. I purchased this computer from Best Buy 3 years ago, and I purchased the 3 year service plan along with it. One day before the plan expired I got the whole white screen thing, so they sent it off. On the service order, the guy noted that the hard drive was making a slight grinding noise, so they may have replaced the hard drive when it was sent out. Although, I didnt lose any of my stuff on my hard drive, so I guess they did not, unless they have some way of transfering old data to a new harddrive that isnt time consuming. It has 256 MB of SDRAM. I never experienced the extreme slow before this. My computer took 10-15 minutes just to start up this morning.

Here is some information about my computer, just in case any of it may help. Its a HP pavilion laptop, with an AMD Duron 1.1 GHZ processor, Windows XP, 256 MB RAM, 20 gig hard drive. Is replacement of a hard drive in a laptop something I would be able to tackle myself, if it turns out that is the problem?

Hailstorm
07-10-2005, 15:46
STOP USING THAT PC. Get another harddrive. Maxtor I no have a disk to clone your current Drive. Do that Then reinstall windows without formatting. This repairs XP so any errors that may come because you cloned should be taken care of. You will loose your stuff if you wait.

Timothy658
07-10-2005, 23:47
Is replacing the hard drive in a laptop, something anybody could do, or is it more of a difficult task? How much do they run? I dont need anything huge. My current hard drive is 20 gig and its not even half full. Do I have to look for a laptop specific harddrive?

Hailstorm
07-11-2005, 05:20
Its all up to the laptop. Some have a door that you can get to the drive. If so, no problem changing it. You just buy a drive that is for a laptop. If you have not messed with a PC before. I would get someone to do it that has. I am sure there is instructions online for your model. Do a search on it. Don't force anything. Thats usually bad.

Timothy658
07-13-2005, 10:53
I read through the instruction manual, and the hard drive is very easy to replace. Take out two screws on the bottom of the laptop, and it slides right out of the front. However, I have heard that some notebook hard drives are propriatery. How do I know if mine is? The last couple days everything has been acting normally. None of the extreme slowness, but thats not to say it wont start again. Is it possible the hard drive was replaced when it was sent out for service, and they transferred all of my data from the old one to the new one?

David_G17
07-13-2005, 15:23
what model number is your HP Pavilion?

i'm pretty sure it uses standard 2.5" drives.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=380&Submit=Property

David_G17
07-13-2005, 15:25
Originally posted by Timothy658
Is it possible the hard drive was replaced when it was sent out for service, and they transferred all of my data from the old one to the new one?

yes, it's possible, but i doubt they would go through the trouble (or time) to do that.

Timothy658
07-13-2005, 15:56
The model number is ze1115, and the manual says it is a 2.5 in drive. So I take it any 2.5 in hard drive from Best Buy or such store will work in it?

Don At PC
07-13-2005, 17:01
My personal opinion is "Stay Away From Best Buy". I would highly recommend buying you new hard drive from most anyone but those folks.

Timothy658
07-13-2005, 19:41
Thanks for the replys. Im not going to replace anything until it starts acting up again. The last few days, its been good. The reason I ask if it is possible they did replace my hard drive while out for service is, after checking the hard drive name (I found this by going to My Computer, right clicking on the hard drive, and clicking on the tab titled Hardware, under Properties) I believe I remember it to be different before I sent it out to service. Currently the name on the hard drive is an assortment of numbers and letters. Who knows, we'll see what happens I suppose.

Timothy658
07-13-2005, 22:35
David G17 thanks for that link. Those prices are a lot lower than I was expecting. Will any of those work in my laptop? Any that I should avoid? Which do you recommend? I currently use a 20 gig hard drive, and it is not even half full, but looking at the prices, the difference between a 20 gig and a 40 gig is less than $10.

Are you guys pretty confident a new hard drive will fix my problems? Once the hard drive is installed what do I need to do next before installing software?

Timothy658
07-16-2005, 09:39
Anybody have a recommendation as to which hard drive from the list to get? Dont need anything big, just want reliability.

Texas T
07-16-2005, 10:03
Originally posted by Don At PC
My personal opinion is "Stay Away From Best Buy". I would highly recommend buying you new hard drive from most anyone but those folks. Sounds like someone has an axe to grind.

Hey Timothy, let me ask you something, if you replace the hard drive and you still have all the same issues what's your next step?

Timothy658
07-16-2005, 10:10
Good question. More research I suppose. I do think it is the hard drive, for it is making loud noises, it just doesnt sound as good or as quiet as it used to.

ETA: Like I had said in my earlier post, I had brought the laptop in for service because of a white screen. Only after receiving it back have I had these problems. A few days ago I called Best Buy to see what exactly they had replaced in my laptop, and they told me the motherboard. I am wondering if my problems are related to this, and not the hard drive?