deactivated grip safety ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : deactivated grip safety ?

royal glockster
07-10-2005, 19:37
i have 2 1911 pistols, one for defense and the other for competition. Majority of my shooting buddies have their grip safety deactivated para daw maiwasan ang "trigger freeze". Is this really advisable? Is safety rule which is paramount in this sport not compromised? any advise from you guys is very much appreciated..thanks...;Q

jasonub
07-10-2005, 20:44
its up to you. most do it on competition guns. I never failed to deactivate my grip safety.

batangueno
07-10-2005, 21:02
Trigger freeze happens when you pull the trigger and not let go, usually due to a death grip like hold of your strong hand. I just can't see an activated grip safety will cause a trigger freeze.

Anyway, don't deactivate the grip safety of your defense pistol but it's upto you if you want to do it on your competition pistol. For my competition 1911s it doesn't matter, both setup works for me just fine.

mc_oliver
07-10-2005, 21:15
Deactivted sa akin. High-gripper ako kaya a working grip safety will lock the trigger instead.

royal glockster
07-11-2005, 07:08
Originally posted by batangueno
Trigger freeze happens when you pull the trigger and not let go, usually due to a death grip like hold of your strong hand. I just can't see an activated grip safety will cause a trigger freeze.

Thanks batangueno for the definition of trigger freeze. Sorry for not using the term properly. Anyway, I have now my grip safety deactivated on my competition gun. It works fine as compared before and i can now shoot with ease. Thanks for the info guys!

Eye Cutter
07-11-2005, 07:12
mco: it's not just that. its also the shape, make-up and anatomy of your hand kung bakit hindi ma-activate grip safety. meron tao lubog yung heel ng palm so hindi maka-press sa safety. same goes for short fingers, etc.

i have the ordinary Ed Brown flat grip safety without the memory groove or speed bump but i never have problems with deactivating the grip safety. ayoko nga ng may speed bump kasi masakit sa kamay.

natatawa nga ako sa ibang nag-ko-customize. they will get an Ed Brown memory groove beavertail or STI or Wilson with the speed bump tapos ipapa-pin to deactivate. e di sana di nalang nila pinalitan ng mamahaling piyesa! di ba?!

if you're not deactivating the grip safety, the speed bump should help

batangueno
07-11-2005, 07:26
Originally posted by royal glockster
Thanks batangueno for the definition of trigger freeze. Sorry for not using the term properly.
No need to apologize. We all come here to learn. :)

jasonub
07-11-2005, 07:30
been using an edbrown with memory groove bump. i never did have any use to deactivate the safety.

tama si doc. its dumb to buy a memory groove. or those with speed bumps if you will deactivate the safety.

then again its a matter of preference . its their money

mc_oliver
07-11-2005, 18:41
Originally posted by royal glockster
...Anyway, I have now my grip safety deactivated on my competition gun. It works fine as compared before and i can now shoot with ease. Thanks for the info guys!
Kung kaya ng puso mo do a drop test on your gun.

Cock your hammer and with the safety off drop it on a padded rug. The hammer should not fall. If it does drop, you need more tension on the sear spring leg bearing on the sear. Tataas din trigger pull poundage mo nito.

Do the same test with the safety on. When you swipe the safety off after the gun has been dropped, dapat 'di pa rin babagsak hammer mo. If it does, you need to have your safety fit better.

Remember, better to know now than find out in a competition with a loaded gun. ;)

Good luck. :)