Question for all you digital photography guys [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question for all you digital photography guys

SkyStorm82
07-11-2005, 16:32
I emailed some pics to a friend and when she went to open them they were huge. I'm talking bigger than the screen size huge. The pics were aobut 3 or 4 MB each. Well I just figured out how to resize the pics but I have a question about doing that.

Right now the biggest print I make is 8 X 10 inches but someday I may want to go 11 X 14 at the max. With that in mind, will resizing the pics into smaller files make them appear at a lesser quality at those printed sizes? Thanks

bohr
07-11-2005, 18:54
Is storage space an issue? If not just make of copy of the original and store it. This way you can edit/modify as you please without messing with the original.

SkyStorm82
07-11-2005, 19:16
Originally posted by bohr
Is storage space an issue? If not just make of copy of the original and store it. This way you can edit/modify as you please without messing with the original.

No, not right now it isn't. But I'm using a laptop so it may become an issue eventually. I pretty much figured it out though. I just resize the pics, and save them to a different folder I made on my desktop. I can just use this folder to store the smaller pics until I email them and then delete them when I'm done.

Thanks for the help though.^c ;c

Toyman
07-12-2005, 07:54
Originally posted by SkyStorm82
...Right now the biggest print I make is 8 X 10 inches but someday I may want to go 11 X 14 at the max. With that in mind, will resizing the pics into smaller files make them appear at a lesser quality at those printed sizes? Thanks

Yes, resizing them down will reduce the amount of data, making lower quality prints at any size. Keep the originals, resize some copies for other uses.

SkyStorm82
07-12-2005, 11:56
Originally posted by Toyman
Yes, resizing them down will reduce the amount of data, making lower quality prints at any size. Keep the originals, resize some copies for other uses.

Cool, thanks for the info.^c

NRA_guy
07-12-2005, 18:58
I looked into this a while back. I'm no expert but it appears to me taht like everything involving computers, when you attach a photo to an email message, what the recipient sees depends upon several things.

Here's the deal: computer monitors normally display at 72 pixels per inch. (This can vary depending upon the screen resolution setting you have chosen. I usually leave folks' screens set at 800 x 600 pixels. That means that a photo that just barely fills your screen needs to be about 800 x 600 pixels. A photo that fills a quarter of your screen needs to be about 400 x 300 pixels.)

One controlling factor is the resolution at which you take the picture with your digital camera. This is a setting on your camera. If you shot your photo at 3 Megapixels per photo, that turns out to be 1984x1488 pixels (1984 X 1488 = 2,952,192 pixels which they call "3 Megapixels").

So when someone looks at your photo on a PC screen that only takes 600 x 400 pixels to fill the screen, your photo overflows way beyond the edge of their screen. Your photo is actually a 27.56 inch x 20.67 inch image on the screen.

If you plan to shoot a photo for sending on the internet, you could lower your camera's resolution to say 0.3 Megapixels. That gives you photos of 640 x 480 pixels, which is displayed as 8 inches x 6 inches and will be approximately a screen full.

Of course, you can't get decent hardcopy prints from such low resolution.

So it's always better to shoot pictures at your camera's highest resolution, and then reduce the size of the photo you want to email to folks.

Don't get "image size", "resolution", and "file compression" confused. It's the size of the photo that you want to reduce for emailing.

Reducing the resolution of a photo after you have it on your PC gives you a smaller file size, but a grainy image that is the same physical screen size as your original photo.

"File compression" is another thing you can do with jpg photos, but again it gives you a smaller file size, but a grainy image that is the same screen size as your original photo.

Your photo editing software should enable you to reduce the physical size for emailing pictures.

Reduce the photo size to something like 400 x 300 pixels and save with a new file name so you don't overwrite your original photo.

PS: Some software that folks use to view your emailed photos automatically resizes the image to fit their screen. This completely depends upon their PC settings and the software they use for getting email (Yahoo, Hotmail, Outlook, GMail, etc.)---it's not within your control. Internet Explorer has a setting that says "Automatic image resizing" that will adjust photos they view in Iinternet Explorer, but hardly anybody does.

Critter
07-12-2005, 20:56
Well, this is a cheap and easy shortcut I use.

I downloaded Picasa. www.picasa.com It is a photo program from Google that I heard about on the Kim Kommando radio show. Once you download it, it takes all of the pic's on your hardrive and organizes them wither by the folders you put them in or the month/year you took them if it's just one big mess. It also keeps them in theplace you have them. Now, that's neither here nor there.

Now, where I'm trying to go with this is that it has a utility in it. You open up Picasa, click on the pictureand it puts it in a holding tray. When you have all the pic's you want to send, you hit the e-mail button. It let's you use your own e-mail or a g-mail account, whatever YOU choose. It then automatically reduces the soze of the pic's to make them e-mail friendly. It works great. I had a copuple of fellow 'smiths try it out, we end up with a lot of pic's of work floating around on our hard drives, and this program really cleaned things up for us.

Hated that I chased a rabbit or two in this reply, blame it on the beer, after all, I am on vacation.