Hawaiian JuJitsu? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian JuJitsu?

RainmakerCa
07-11-2005, 17:55
Anyone study this particular style?

I am searching for a new school for training. I have visited and watched training at most schools in my area and it is coming down to a couple of different styles.

So, if you have studied Hawaiian JuJitsu I would appreciate any feed back on the style. How you see it's application to street defense and any thoughts you would care to share.

Thanks
Rainmaker

el_jewapo
07-11-2005, 18:13
i could be wrong, but i was under the impression that hawaians study brazilian ju jitsu? i've never heard of hawaian ju jitsu. i know brazilian ju jitsu is really popular over there and you don't want to go around picking fights on the beach there! they might have adapted their own style.

RainmakerCa
07-12-2005, 09:50
Your impression is wrong. BJJ is one form of JJ. Hawaiian JusJitsu, Danzen Ryu is another name for it, is more of a stand up JJ. It has strikes, takedowns and some ground work along with joint locks etc.

I am looking for some input from others before I make my final decsion.

Regards
Rainmaker

gr81disp
07-12-2005, 16:57
Sounds like a form of Japanese JJ. Makes sense with the ethnic background of most islanders.

Roundeyesamurai
07-12-2005, 22:08
I assume you're referring to Danzan Ryu.

Good stuff, and such a small style that the Soke has good control of who gets promoted to instructional ranks and who doesn't.

I'd highly recommend it.

As a point of interest, Danzan Ryu is also the "repository", if you will, for seifukujutsu, which is the classical Japanese method of restorative massage. All Dan practicioners become seifuku massage therapists, in addition to the remainder of the curriculum.

TED
07-13-2005, 01:07
Ther is actually a native Hawaiian art that is very similiar to Jujutsu but whose name I forget. It has animal forms in it. Anyone know what I am talking about?

TED

AtreidesAR15
08-07-2005, 00:08
Hello everyone!

The native Hawaiian martial art that Ted is referring to is called "Lua" (Loo-ah) which means battle pit. The style originally came from the Polynesian Islands when their people migrated to the Hawaiian Islands. In a way Lua is kind of a religeon also and has a lot of mystisism associated with it. The style encooperates wrestling & grapling, as well as using both hands and weapons to deliver lethal blows to the opponent. I believe there is only one master Rich Paglinawan who is still teaching the pure art today on the island of Oahu.

Some of the weapons used in Lua include pikes, clubs and paddles lined with the teeth of Tiger sharks. It is a wonderful part of island life here.

As for "Hawaiian Jujitsu" well I live in Hawaii and tonight was the first time I have heard of it. el_jewapo is correct as far as I know. The UFC star BJ Penn studied Jujitsu with the Gracie family of Brazil for a while to learn the Brazillian style, at least that's what I have been told. The Penn family have started their own Dojo here however which might be what people are reffering to when they mention "Hawaiian Jujitsu".

TED
08-07-2005, 02:48
Yes, I thoght that was w it but I couldn;t quite be sure. It has a lot of joint locking stuff to IIRC. I think there are probably only a few people who have even heard of Lua. Just out of curiousity, does the instructor only accept Hawaiian students. I understand that there is a lot of racism or bigotry agains people who are not of Hawaiian ancestry there. So this makes me curious.

TED

Seabee71
08-09-2005, 17:10
Ummm...the Lua is the bathroom. Anyway, yes there is a style of fighting and it is called Lua. I was born and raised there and never knew anyone who called it that, only my Grandfather mentioned it to me when I was a young boy and the same tactics were used to some extent in our local school fights. . Try not to believe all the hype about this one. The only true fact that I know of is that it was used during the island wars. We Hawaiians are superstitious people, and there are legends of great proportions in our history. Not all the islanders are from Japanese ethniticity, lol, but most of us these days have a bit of Japanese in our families. Good luck on learning this secret ancient martial arts, remember what I said about legends.:soap:

hapuna
08-09-2005, 18:44
Originally posted by TED
Yes, I thoght that was w it but I couldn;t quite be sure. It has a lot of joint locking stuff to IIRC. I think there are probably only a few people who have even heard of Lua. Just out of curiousity, does the instructor only accept Hawaiian students. I understand that there is a lot of racism or bigotry agains people who are not of Hawaiian ancestry there. So this makes me curious.

TED

If he only took Hawaiian students he would be a poor fellow and the art would die.
Most people in Hawaii are not of Hawaiian ancestry. They are more bigoted against butt heads. YOu better watch out.;f

Seabee71
08-09-2005, 20:05
Originally posted by hapuna
If he only took Hawaiian students he would be a poor fellow and the art would die.
Most people in Hawaii are not of Hawaiian ancestry. They are more bigoted against butt heads. YOu better watch out.;f

;z ;z

This is fact.....Not too many Pure Hawaiians left, I am 50% Haole, 38% Hawaiian and 12% Japanese ;g