Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Eagle78101
07-12-2005, 17:09
Anybody else eagerly awaiting this book? Technically, it's a childrens book but it's sophisticated enough for adults, particulary now, that the protagonists are getting older.

jthuang
07-13-2005, 11:34
I pre-ordered from Amazon. I'm not a huge fan; I've read all the books and have all the movies on DVD but that's it.

Alpha752
07-19-2005, 16:52
Im currently 3/4 finished. So far, pretty good.

KYtactical22
07-20-2005, 15:21
I thought it was pretty good. You get a lot more background info on Voldemort and so much stuff happens towards the end it leaves so many questions to be answered in book 7. Its like one of those movies that just ends suddenly.

Egyas
07-20-2005, 16:02
**POSSIBLE SPOILER**

I know she said that a main character would die in this book, but I was disappointed at who it turned out to be. I was really picturing one of "the big three". The ending was interresting however.

KYtactical22
07-20-2005, 16:21
Yes, I keep reading the last parts over and over again to pick up some things that might happen or be explained in the last book. So far, Harry's father used one of snape's inventions against him and I think that harry will have to learn occlumency or legimency and nonverbal spells in order to battle voldemort. I think maybe Draco might end up on the good side eventually.

mwelch8404
07-28-2005, 15:56
Hey, I thought about it - that character had to go - that character was the only one that Voldemeort was "afraid" of. He needed to be "out of the way" so Harry can get down to business.

Poppa Bear
07-28-2005, 16:08
Book 7 should be interesting. Harry has a lot to learn before he can take on Voldemort. I foresee a member of the OoP convincing Harry to finish his 7th year with special training in the Dark Arts. Harry also needs to get his potions book back from the Room of Requirement. He may not like the previous owner, but it has a lot of good spells and insight into the workings of the Dark Arts.

With Dumbledores powers, does anyone think Harry will be getting a magical surprise in the near future that possibly allows some of Dumbledores abilities to be passed to Harry?

G21FAN
07-28-2005, 16:24
The ending kind of made me wonder if there is going to be a seventh book. The series are set up, in my opinion, that there could be a number of spinoff series on the characters.

ArgentineSteel
07-30-2005, 11:20
Yes it's a post on Harry Potter.

I was reading the series and realized that the situation with wizards in the wizarding society is that all wizards and witches in the Harry Potter stories are walking around basically armed. There are a lot of analogies {unintended I'm sure} to an armed society in the stories by J.K. Rowling.

1. Analogies to armed society

Every wizard has a wand. It's a tool that allows them to access the power of their world. Wands act as can opener, keys, tool box and a weapon. If you don't have your wand you can't perform a spell. There is a licensing authority, the ministry, that determines whether you are to be trusted with a wand.

Now just because the ministry says you can't use a wand doesn't seem to stop any one who is willing to break the law from obtaining a wand. Hagrid has a wand, as do all the escaped felons from the wizard prison Azkaban. None of them are authorized to carry let alone use magic.

There's a war on. There are bad guys out there and people are being attacked and killed. Most of the bad guys are unknown and hidden within society. They bide their time and try to win the war by spreading fear to all the other wizards.

2. The armed are instructed from youth on safety and proper use.

The whole series occurs at the school Hogwarts which is intended to train young wizards in how to use magic to the fullest extent of their innate skill. The tales of mistakes are always the best lessons and there is always a healer nearby to heal the hard knocks of learning.

3. The armed are not trusted by the unarmed

Muggles don't do magic. Often when they experience magic or encounter a wizard they are frightened. Muggles are the unarmed. In Harry's life Muggles expect him to act like a Muggle, not carry a wand and pretend that magic doesn't exist. The Ministry helps to enforce this also.
But the bad guys don't always play by the same rules. Sometimes it takes pulling your wand out to hex the bad guy. Muggles often deny or fail to realize just how much of their problems are caused by bad wizards and their only protection are good wizards. The Ministry actually fosters this by helping Muggles to forget their encounters with wizards and magical creatures.

4. It's a dangerous world!

Even in the safe haven of Hogwarts school there are evil people who attack others including children. The only defense is to rely on the head wizard to protect everyone, or learn magic and use your wand to protect yourself. The head wizard can't be everywhere and the bad guys rely on that.

5. concealed carry

Every wizard carries a wand, but politely keeps them in their pocket. Open carry is considered rude and putting your hand on your wand is often enough of a provocation to allow a self defense claim. Where everyone walks around armed there isn't a lot of blood in the streets.

6. government interference

The "Ministry of Magic" exists to enforce the "proper use" of magic. But they have a maze of rules and laws that limit the use of magic. Where you can and especially cannot use it.

7. The press and it's biases

The wizards have their own press, and it covers the stories of the day with a decidedly slanted view. Initially the Ministry influences the press to neglect the gathering evidence of the upcoming war and prevents the society from taking prudent preventative actions. People are mis-informed and therefore confused about the next course of action. People who attempt to preach a gospel of preparedness are vilified and laughed at until the evidence is overwhelming.

Now the analogy isn't quite complete as Wands aren't just used for self defense but are far more versatile than a weapon is. But I found it interesting to see a British fantasy story that had so much to do with walking around armed. Maybe Potter fanatics and gun nuts have more in common than they may believe.

pawncop
08-01-2005, 20:57
Have gone back and started rereading the entire series. There are clues starting in the first book that are now making sense as to how the story may go.

Originally started reading the boks as they were supposed to anti-Christian and wanted to evaluate for myself if this was true. Obviously don't think so as I have all six years, most in hardback.

The earlier analogy of weapons and wands is most interesting. Had no given that much thought at all, but it appears very true.

For those so interested, (most probably already know this) theleakycauldron.com and muggle.net are two sites that rabid fans are glued to.

I also see the possiblity of additional books, although JKR says there will only be seven.

Schabesbert
08-03-2005, 18:21
I'm now eagerly awaiting book 7. Will we have to wait 3 years, or more?

ArgentineSteel, great post!

How could Dumbledore have misread Snape so badly? I really trusted him when he kept saying that Snape is trustworthy. I guess Snape is really good at occlumency!

Why did Dumbledore have to stop Harry from moving?

Yeah, I know it was to protect Harry from getting involved, but it seems that he would have been in LESS danger, not more, if Dumbledore hadn't prevented him from moving.

pawncop
08-03-2005, 22:09
Schabesbert,

One of the theories going around here is that when Dumbledore was saying "Please Severus..." he was not pleading for his life. Have gone back and reread that portion and it is possible that he was encouraging him to actually kill him. I suppose it's possible that the potion he drank was more painfully fatal than the "Killng Curse".

As I stated in my previous reply I am rereading the series and there are clues starting in the first year that are now making sense.

Good reading!