Cable Internet Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cable Internet Question

illuminate100
07-12-2005, 22:33
Hello all!

We recently moved (my wife and baby and I) into a new house and had to get a new ISP because DSL, which I had before and liked ok (1.5 down and 384 up), is not offered in this area (by the way, we're in Southern California).

Anyhow, I decided to go with Charter Digital Cable for internet because it's only 26.99 a month. The guy came out to install it and although the computer is working well, the signal seems "too strong" in his words. He put a splitter on it near the modem which he said should help. Anyway, I am getting about 2.6 down and 300 up which is fine, but when I try to use a router so I can have my Xbox online without unplugging the computer from the internet, the Xbox Live dashboard tells me the IP address is currently in use. I can unplug the computer and plug the Xbox directly in and, after unplugging the modem, the Xbox gets the IP address. Since I don't want to do that, I tried unplugging everything (powering down) and restarting it with both the Xbox and computer on but the Xbox still doesn't connect (something about the DNS servers).

Anyway, if anyone has anything they can do to help me, let me know. Not the most exciting stuff, sorry...

-DT

Glock Bob
07-13-2005, 00:25
Will the X work if it's the only thing on the router (ie the computer is offline)? It may be that the Xbox needs a static address and the computer is using it. You may need to set the computer to an IP outside your repeater's DHCP range.