sansoo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : sansoo

White Buffalo
07-13-2005, 18:23
The majority of guys in my motorcycle club (Knuckle Busters) take this and a few are black belts. While I have been planning on taking BJJ and/or muay thai, they have been talking to me about going to go train with them in sansoo. My question to you all is this... Is this really, truly effective? I know it's basicall chinese streetfighting, but I already know how to streetfight rather well (well, american streefighting that is ;) ). What'cha guys think?

el_jewapo
07-14-2005, 21:10
the only time i've seen it in action is in k-1 chun li does it. it uses alot of throws. it's an effective art for getting a fight to the ground. but in competition, they don't fight on the ground. i don't know if they teach ground fighting techniques or not. it's pretty useless to throw someone to the ground if you can't handle yourself on the ground.

kick boxing with judo type throws. that's what it boils down to.

aim00straight
07-18-2005, 15:55
Hey White Buffalo, San Soo would be a great martial art to train in. It is based on hitting multiple targets on the body. They do striking and groundwork. San Shou is a competitive sport that is totally different that Cung Lee trains in. There are not many San Soo schools. Most of them I have seen have been out in California. Since you already good at streetfighting and are 6'4 230lbs, San Soo will just help you to better and more accuratley hit vital points on the body and should also help you to better use leverage against and opponenet.

http://sansoo.com/

http://www.redshift.com/~mjacobi/

http://www.sansoomichigan.com/

five-0
07-22-2005, 14:20
Hey WhiteB...were you thinking about the place in Smyrna?

White Buffalo
07-22-2005, 20:22
Originally posted by five-0
Hey WhiteB...were you thinking about the place in Smyrna? Possibly... I'm not sure exactly where my friends train at. You might know two of them. Ben Dixon (owner of the Lone Wolf Tattoo shops) and Brandon Hannah (tattoo artist at the shop on 21st). I know both of them are black belts. Then my buddies Neil (blackbelt) and Tony(unsure of his skill level) and John (just became a yellow belt) also train with them.. I'll get more info about where they train and post it up to see if you guys might know anything about the school from a non-biased point of view.

five-0
09-17-2005, 07:05
WhiteB...what did you come up with/decide?

JohnH
09-18-2005, 11:03
I would go with the BJJ because it's a proven system. San-soo, at least as Chung Li practices it, is more sport oriented.

aim00straight
09-18-2005, 19:07
Cung Le, practices San Shou, totally different from San Soo. Thanks

White Buffalo
09-18-2005, 21:44
I am formally begining my training in san soo, under Master Bobby Staton here in Nashville, at the beginning of the month. I checked out his class and honestly, me being much bigger and looking more fight orientated, I seriously think that I would lose a fight to the guy in a bad way... So, I want to know what he knows.

five-0
09-19-2005, 07:09
Congrads and good luck.
BTW, whereabouts is Mr. Stanton located?

White Buffalo
09-19-2005, 20:04
Originally posted by five-0
Congrads and good luck.
BTW, whereabouts is Mr. Stanton located? East side of town, donalson/ hermitage area. He teaches out of his garage that he turned into a studio. It's alot of one on one time since he really doesn't advertise except through word of mouth. I've done some research on him and he seems to be well liked in the san soo community, as it were.

Dogbite
09-28-2005, 18:31
I have knowledge of San Soo.It is very effective on the street.
It is "combat" style Kung Fu.The moves are very practical,and can be changed up to suit the situation.They teach many different tech.-- and how to use body weapons.They teach you alot about different body targets,and you use what suits you best.Good practical stuff-no high movie kicks,not sport...a good fighting style.

Halojumper
10-04-2005, 21:24
Originally posted by el_jewapo
it's pretty useless to throw someone to the ground if you can't handle yourself on the ground.

Not necessarily. Remember getting thrown onto a concrete sidewalk is way different than getting thrown on a mat. And you are not likely to be throwing somebody skilled in ukemi anyway.