Motivation . . . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Motivation . . .

Fumble
07-13-2005, 19:20
I enjoy working out. Even cardio (if itís not jogging). BUT, I have trouble getting myself into the gym. Once I am there I am a willing worker. Itís the getting motivated that I have trouble with. I tell myself that there are lots of reasons to not work out just no good reasons. That helps a little but it leaves a lot to be desired in the motivation realm. So what so you do to motivate yourself to get into the gym?

California Jack
07-13-2005, 19:29
First thing that helps me is that my gym is in my garage.

Second thing that gets me going is a program that I enjoy. Currently, for me that is learning the O-lifts and sprinting.

Third thing is goal setting. I have a goal for pressing, and deadlifting. I won't be able to pull 500 lbs if I don't workout.

Keeping up with my hildren gets me to the garage. If I get out of shape I won't be able to keep up with them.

One last thing that will motivate me in the future is that I plan to compete. In o-lifting and in track (either sprinting or shot putting.) Find an event you enjoy competing that requires the fitness goals you are after (for me strength and speed). Pursue that sport, gym time will follow.

Just some thoughts,
Jack

garythenuke
07-14-2005, 09:55
I second everything Jack said. I have my gym in the back yard. I have no excuse in terms of time. Finding a program that is fun is crucial as well. In terms of a sport, that is what got me back into it as well.

Several years ago I wanted to take up tennis again after a layoff of a number of years. In looking for grippers and other hand and wrist strength info, I can across www.ironmind.com . THat sight inspired me to take up olympic style lifting and strongman type fitness.

I just took up throwing the javelin. After being put in touch with the strength requirements for that sport and after throwing on my own, I have discovered (thanks Jack) an entirely new set of exercises and workout routines that will keep my busy and sore for quite some time. If you like DVD's and video's, ironmind has strongman videos that should really get your testosterone pumping. Reading books and articles about old time strongmen is a never ending source of inspiration for me.

Keeping up with my boys is a huge motivation as well. Kids are getting bigger and stronger faster, I swear, than when I was young. I need to stay in shape to keep them in line:-) Just being able to play with them and keep up with them through their teen years will take alot of fitness on my part.

If you have a competitive streak, nothing puts the fear into you like actually signing up for some event. That gives you a deadline to train for. Three years ago I bit the bullet and signed up for my first triathlon. All of a sudden finding time to swim, ride, and run became a priority.

Good Luck,
Gary

pellertpale
07-14-2005, 12:50
I used to think I could find time to lift, but that didn't happen. Now I plan on lifting. It makes me eager days before a certain exercise. Having goals to reach is a big part of it for me too. If you know where you want to go your more likely to make it there. Having a sport in mind to train for helps a lot. The only sport I am involved in is roller hockey. When I think about little guys skating faster than me I get that fire inside.:steamed:

So I squat, squat, and clean. Little bastards.

Sunwolf Enemy
07-18-2005, 01:03
I watch motivational stuff. Not cheesey speaches by fat, sweaty guys in bad suits, but stuff I can relate to. I'm a mountainbiker so I watch videos of world class mountainbike races.

I also do martial arts. I'm well acquainted with Jet Li.

Lifting? Maybe you need to record some Ahnold speaches...? :D

Wet Dog
07-18-2005, 11:14
Excellent tips have already been posted but I'll add my two bits anyway.

Show up. The toughest part of any workout is showing up. Once you are there doing it, you've got it beat. After that, do one more set/rep/interval... for the corps/for God/ for Country/ Some hot chick...