Inexpensive Router? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Router?

Willard
07-14-2005, 13:22
I have DSL with Bellsouth, which includes a modem. I have wired my house with Cat5 throughout. I need an inexpensive router to connect to the modem (Cat5 or USB), with at least four Ethernet ports.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Michael Dean
07-14-2005, 14:20
Have you contacted Bellsouth? I use SBC, DSL and they are always having a promotion on equipment. When I upgraded to a wireless DSL modem, I got one with a built in router with 4 ports.

pyblood
07-14-2005, 15:38
I would get a wireless router and disable the radio. Wireless routers are so cheap now. I donít know if you have a laptop or not, but itís better to have and not need than to need and not have.

I have Bellsouth DSL as well and hereís a little tip. You need to change the MTU from 1500 to 1492 I think. I had a problem with access secure sites and Windows updates until I got on the phone with D-Link.

Hereís a wireless router for $58 with a $25 Rebate.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127028

Willard
07-14-2005, 16:14
Another question:

To connect the modem to the router, should I use a straight cable, or a crossover?

pyblood
07-14-2005, 21:04
Just use a regular cable. One nice thing about the Westell modem is that you really donít have to use a router. The modem acts as a router, so you can use a regular switch if you like.

Willard
07-14-2005, 23:31
Update:

I thought you used a straight cable, but I was pulling my hair out!!!

I just installed a Linksys WRT54G router. I kept having problems that seemed to indicate that the wiring between the computer and the router was bad. 15 minutes on the Tech support line with Linksys fixed the REAL problem: the router in the modem and the Linksys router were trying to use the same IP address. Fixed this, and we're all good!

Is it just me... my DSL seems faster now, with the router! Is that possible?