Information on Taurus 24/7 or HS-2000 9mm pistol? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Information on Taurus 24/7 or HS-2000 9mm pistol?

Ferdz
07-15-2005, 05:22
Mga bro, any firsthand info on these brands/models polymer frame 9mm pistols? Sa mga gun publications kasi usually praises ang mga gunwriters sa reviews nila. Maybe someone owns either a Taurus 24/7 or HS-2000 or maybe knows someone else who has? Yung direct/straight to the point feedback, both negative or positive, on these lower priced alternatives to the Glock. Thanks! Will be at the gunshow with some officemates on Sunday.

Eye Cutter
07-15-2005, 07:03
if you're going to use it exclusively for home defense or for occasional club shoots and level 1 competitions, kahit anong pistol basta reliable, it should be okay.

if you want to try competition shooting like ipsc or idpa, i.e. hi volume shooting, get an all-steel pistol if you can. welding lang katapat pag nagka deperensiya!

budget wise, the taurus pistols are way cheaper and value for money. get the 17 rd 9mm's, they're a copy of the beretta 92F with 2 extra rounds in the magazines. check mo muna kung readily available mga spare parts, extra magazines and accessories. otherwise, go for a glock 17 instead.

the hs2000/XD is a good pistol, yes, but stronghand does not have any spare parts nor extra mags for it. caveat emptor.

other good choices are the CZ's and its clones, Tanfoglio, Bul Storm, and Jericho

vega
07-15-2005, 08:28
Originally posted by Eye Cutter
the hs2000/XD is a good pistol, yes, but stronghand does not have any spare parts nor extra mags for it. caveat emptor.

You can use Beretta mags but you need to drill a hole for the mag lock. Beretta are a little bit longer than XD and it might hit the ejector if you slam it too hard. These ejectors easily breaks and like EC said, Stronghand does not support after market parts. They are good pistols, I have an XD9 which I use for competition.

If you decide to go XD and have a beretta for extra mags, just make sure you put a good stopper between the base of the pistol and the mag base. A good quality rubber will solve that problem. Get an o-ring that would fit the mags.

edited to add - The slided rust easily on the XDs. Make sure you clean the pistol after a shooting session.

vega

mirko128
07-15-2005, 16:38
Ferdz,

Tama ka, puro Taurus 24/7 laman ng mga publications end of 2004.

My friend bought a .40 cal 24/7 last April (his first gun, for defense and range shooting). I almost got one for myself because of the good reviews (first gun, too), but I got a G21 instead.

Some observations:
1. He's a first time shooter, almost 500 rounds palang ata on that pistol, and he's having difficulty with the heavy DAO trigger pull. During range sessions, his hits will be way to the left by the time he shoots the 50th+ round.

I dunno if it's the heavy trigger or his failure to do lots of dry firing, I suppose it's both.

Minsan nga, nagyaya na umuwi agad, sakit na daw ng daliri nya ;f.

2. He had to send it back to Trust Trade as it kept suffering from failure to load (Armscor FMJs factory and reloads). I don't remember exactly what was the fix, may sumasayad masyado sa rail.

3. Last week, lumipad yung front sight nya while at the range. Nakabit naman nya agad, naka screw kasi. Sabi ko lagyan pa ng loctite (tama ba?).

4. Ok yung grip nya, masarap sa kamay. Sabi nya natural naman daw yung point of aim.

5. Mas mura sya (28K) kesa sa ibang polymer framed pistols.

6. Isa pa pala, mas nauna sya nagka-reject na Armscor shells from reloading (vs. my Glock 21 which is said to be more prone to case bulging, wala pa kong reject na Armscor shells). Pang 4th to 6th reload.

jlkwison
07-26-2005, 03:21
I have first hand experience with the 24/7 and I'l be glad to share them with you. Please take note that I did some comparisons with my glock to get an idea of what the pistol is and is capable of. It is hard to talk about how it handles if theres no point of comparison right ? Well in my case. :)

My friend got a 24-7 from last year's gunshow for 23t. The gun had features that I think are improvements over the more popular glock polymer pistol and I assumed at the time that the 24-7 would be a better gun overall...in MY PESPECTIVE at that time before I shooting it :) The first thing that liked about the pistol (and I think almost everyone who handled it would agree) was the grip. The grip is better compared to my glock 19 in my opinion and it couldn't get any better than that. The next thing that I like about the pistol is the full lenght slide rails which I think was meant to make the pistol more sturdier. And I liked the way it covered up the internals...no gaps can be seen unlike that in the Glock. The 24-7 is easier to cycle compared to my Glock 19...I thought that they had some sort of technology that made cycling the slide easier, but after disassemblying it, I reckon that they just used lighter springs.

We went to the range to break in the 24-7 and I carried my g19 along since my friend wanted to make some comparisons. I wasn't to optimistic in bringing my Glock along since the 24-7 might turn out to be more of a pleasure to shoot and carry than my Glock and its several thousand cheaper which would make me really feel bad. I handled the 24-7 first...it was heavier than the g19, it was probably because it has full length metal rails. When we inspected the magazines, one of them had its spring stucked in the middle part of the magazine housing so we had to disassemble to fix it. My friend told me that he loaded it with around 15 rounds and when he tried unloading it...it got stuck. The problem was that the magazine was bone dry, so I had to wipe the insides with a little break free CLP so it wont get stuck again. After fixing one of the mag, I loaded the 24-7 and fired several rounds. My hits were just like that of my g19 and that I can hit at point of aim at ten meters so its suffice to say that the 24-7 is as accurate as I can shoot my g19. After I was done putting some rounds in the 24-7, I got my g19 and fired several rounds. This is were I noted the big difference in shooting the two guns. I was surprised that the g19's muzzle fip was (i think) less than half of that the 24-7 (I am sensitive to muzzle flip, so to some it might not matter although my friend felt it too and was dissapointed) even if the g19 was ligther and smaller! The reason ? The g19 had a lower bore axis compared to the 24-7. In the trigger pull department, I found that the trigger of the 24-7 had a veeerrryyy long pull but nonetheless I feel it is safer, specially for novice shooters and people who buy guns but don't handle them as often as they should. If you would ask me, I'd prefer the glock's trigger pull...partly because Im used to it. The one thing that I liked about the the 24-7 was that it had an active safety mechanism in the form of a thumb safety. I must admit that am a little biased with thumb safeties since I learned how to shoot with a 1911. During the shooting session, the 24-7 jammed twice in my friend's novice hands, although my glock did not jam at all in his (My glock was fairly new at that time and only had 50 rounds fired through it before with no jams. We concluded the firing session with no jams also.). One thing I obeserved also is that the glock's magazine is harder to load since the springs are stiffer. Some people might view it as something undesireable specially by novices, but the reason for stiffer springs are to make the magazines more realiable. By the way, we used brand new armscor FMJs on both guns.

Conclusion...

After that experience, I really liked my glock 19 since IN MY OPINION, it felt better to shoot since it has less muzzle flip even if its smaller and lighter. And I like it for being smaller and lighter also. :) The 24-7 on the other hand have a lot of likable features too, it is up to the interested party to try the gun for himself/her experience before making their own conlcusions. My story is for sharing to you my opinions and experience on the matter at hand so that you might have what MAJINGKONG says... "A GRAIN OF TRUTH".

PS

My friend got the blue model and the finish is not as tough as that of the glock's finish since it shows signs of a wear even if it was new then. In addition, glock has a teniffer treatment that prevents rust...I don't know if the 24-7 was subjected to a tennifer type treatment also. The 24-7 has a conventional rifling, so that said, you can use lead and it is also around 10t cheaper than the Glock. Last time I checked, the 24-7 cost around 24t for the stainless version compared to 34t for the glock 19 at gun show prices.

Ferdz
07-26-2005, 05:05
Thanks to all who posted replies, meron na akong firsthand info! The HS-2000 and Glock -17/19 during the GunShow ay halos pareho ng price range, mga P38th round-off. Kaya that leaves the Taurus 24/7 priced at P22xxth - P23xxth for blue and stainless versions respectively as the budget alternative for a Glock. Was expecting a worse case reply like a "KaBoom" report on the Taurus 24/7 pistol. 'Di ko mai-request ng dry-fire sa Trust Trade ng demo 24/7 unit sa mga outlets nila, basta sabi ng salesguys and trigger-pull pareho lang daw (?) sa Glock. Primary purpose for considering a 24/7 is a high-capacity/rust resistant pistol for home-defense and the occasional try sa level-1 PPSA sanctioned matches in the production division.

batangueno
07-26-2005, 05:28
Originally posted by Ferdz
Primary purpose for considering a 24/7 is a high-capacity/rust resistant pistol for home-defense and the occasional try sa level-1 PPSA sanctioned matches in the production division.
Sounds like a glock to me. ;f

Nice review, jlkwison. ^c

New_comer
07-26-2005, 10:50
Originally posted by Ferdz
Thanks to all who posted replies, meron na akong firsthand info! The HS-2000 and Glock -17/19 during the GunShow ay halos pareho ng price range, mga P38th round-off. Kaya that leaves the Taurus 24/7 priced at P22xxth - P23xxth for blue and stainless versions respectively as the budget alternative for a Glock. Was expecting a worse case reply like a "KaBoom" report on the Taurus 24/7 pistol. 'Di ko mai-request ng dry-fire sa Trust Trade ng demo 24/7 unit sa mga outlets nila, basta sabi ng salesguys and trigger-pull pareho lang daw (?) sa Glock. Primary purpose for considering a 24/7 is a high-capacity/rust resistant pistol for home-defense and the occasional try sa level-1 PPSA sanctioned matches in the production division. My personal rule on Taurus pistols: Avoid anything polymer. Their aluminum alloy metal guns are proven in IPSC circuit. A colleague of mine has over 25,000 thru his 9mm PT92 SS in over 6 years of shooting. Worse hiccup was the misalignment of the sear at around the 22,000 mark, and was easily fixed by Trust Trade. It fired still but falls to half cock; you just have to re-cock the hammer like a single action pistol to fire again. At 23K, it's really one of the most underrated guns out there.

Though the polymer line had problems early on with the frame cracking issue, the heavy and long DAO pull (gritty for some) is a hindrance to accurate and fast shooting, as I suspect the firing mechanics of the 24/7 to be an adaptation of the compact Millenium design.

On the other hand, the PT917 or the 911 are small enough for carry and would be great pistols for IPSC-Prod. Other guns to consider would be the CZ line and clones like Jericho, Bernardelli and the inexpensive Tanfoglio, Glocks, HS, Beretta, Walther, SIG, and HK (price-wise). SW's Sigma SW9 (glock clone) are much too expensive and have little following locally. Go with the original.

Eye Cutter
07-26-2005, 16:52
so, Ferdz, anong pistol kinuha mo?

toxic
07-27-2005, 03:46
i was planning to buy the HS before although malambot ang trigger pull and ok din ang grip for small hands as EyeCutter had posted it is so difficult to get parts etc.
so i closed the idea of buying one

On the Glock ,yap it has a very good reputation except for KB sa reloads but meron namang after market barrel na mabibile.

Taurus 24/7 i have tried it at the range yes the grip is excellent function and design is much better than the PT111 and the PRO (which i can say just needs a little bit of getting use to and not good for competition)

so anyone wants to by my Taurus;f

jlkwison
07-28-2005, 21:00
Originally posted by batangueno

Thanks for the compliment Batangueno :)

San mo gusto kumain ;)

jlkwison
08-01-2005, 03:22
Hi Ferdz and Everyone, you guys might be interested in the Taurus 24x7 of Zechs which his selling for 24t. He asked Trust Trade how much a brand new 24x7 costs right now and he says its 29t...I can't confirm it since I haven't been to trust trade lately. His reason for selling it is that he'll get a laptop since he needs it for his business and will get an sw99 nalang later after saving up.

If you're interested, just PM me and i'll give you the details how to get in touch with Zechs. I'll post the pics when he sends them to me.

PS

That was the 24x7 that i got to shoot... ;)

Ferdz
08-08-2005, 04:18
Maraming salamat sa lahat ng nagreply, I was expecting a worse case scenario such as a "KaBoom" report on the HS-2000 or Taurus 24/7. Hindi ako nakabili ng brandnew pistol sa gunshow, just some parts for my Norinco.45 and mga ammo boxes. But was able to buy a +1year pre-owned Taurus PT-917. Swapped the orig rubber grips for the orig Brazilian hardwood grips ng US assembled PT-92 demo unit ng VLP Defense sa gunshow, pati mga metal base plates ng 4 MecGar 17rnd magz replaced ko ng polymer base pads ng PT-92.

Was able to handle a HS-2000 already, nuon nag funshoot kaming ilan officemates sa BuCor firing range, ang LagPSG team ni Lito Pible nanduon din, Mr. Pible was kind enough to let me fire a few rounds from his HS. Yung 24/7 ay wala akong idea sa feel ng trigger, ayaw kasing magpa dry-fire ng 24/7 demo unit ang Trust Trade sa mga stores nila. Basta sabi ng salesguys parang Glock ang pull ng 24/7 at pwedeng kalabitin tuloy-tuloy (double-action) daw.

toxic
08-14-2005, 00:40
Di talaga nagpapadryfire and trust trade,try to asked the rep to show you another unit while holding the 24/7..pagtalikod i dryfire mo..;f

seriously..
One of the rules yata sa gunshow is not to do dry fire..for safety reasons daw.

st. matthew
08-14-2005, 03:55
Originally posted by batangueno

++1 :cool:

jlkwison
08-15-2005, 02:20
Originally posted by st. matthew
++1 :cool: