How to clean the print head on an Epson printer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How to clean the print head on an Epson printer?

mrvmax
07-16-2005, 07:31
I have an Epson 1000 ICS and I'm having probelms printing. The "clean head" function doesn't clean the head very well. Is there a way I can open up the printer and use alcohol or soemthing to clean the print head manually? I guess the heads are pluggin since not all colors are working.

g29andy
07-17-2005, 13:22
Too bad the search function is down, or you could read my old posts about Epsons.

In a nutshell, you can't clean or replace the Epson printheads, per Epson service reps. I went through two, was able to send the first back before my original warranty ran out. The refurb they sent me had the same problem 6 months later, out of warranty. Epson reps told me "not to leave the printer on long, nor leave it off long." They could not be more specific than that.

The last one I chucked into the garbage. I got two Canons. These have replaceable print heads, at least my two models (PIXMA IP4000 and PIXMA MP760). I know because you install the printhead yourself during setup. So far no problems with the Canons.

If you google "clogged Epson" you'll find a lot about this problem. Some have had success removing the ink tanks, a few drops of alcohol in the ink tubes on the printhead, letting it sit overnight, then running a lot of cleaning cycles. Too much of a PITA for me.

mrvmax
07-17-2005, 16:24
Thanks. I finally just tried cleaning the print head with an alcohol soaked q-tip. It works pretty well now.

g29andy
07-18-2005, 16:17
Dang! Was it that simple? I kid. . .that didn't work for me.