Does anybody remember Stryper? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody remember Stryper?

stepper
07-17-2005, 17:13
80's hair band.

they have a new album coming out Aug.16th. I can't wait.

Most of the people I know either love them or hate them. I think they have put out some great music.

JMag
07-17-2005, 17:20
Christian rockers...yes, I remember them. Good stuff!

glockmeister71
07-17-2005, 23:30
Yeah,I remember them.Liked them in the 80's,but way over them now.

joneshead
07-18-2005, 06:13
YEAH!
I remember I was like 8 and my older sister had a stryper tape.

I thought it was the coolest music ever...then.

THEY SAY THAT MONEY TALKS IF SOOO WHAT DOES IT SAYYYYY
I think thats about all i can remember.
That and some other song that started off 'gotta be strong keep the fire burning *guitariness with the hair*
weeee've been through a lot together, we've seen what some will never seeeeeee.

Ok, im done.
YEAH METAL!

84S
07-18-2005, 08:42
Thanks!, I was trying to forget about them. They were lame man.

Berto
07-18-2005, 10:11
Originally posted by 84S
Thanks!, I was trying to forget about them. They were lame man.

+1 ;R

stepper
07-18-2005, 20:11
Today, it all seems very lame, but all those "hairbands" were lame. Poison, Motley Crue, etc.

I think Stryer put out some pretty good music. I got out some of their cd's the other day.

Good stuff even today.

maverick-tx
08-03-2005, 21:08
WORST BAND EVER!

BrassInPocket
08-04-2005, 12:15
Originally posted by maverick-tx
WORST BAND EVER!

Ditto! They had great hair & make-up though. ;f

glockmeister71
08-04-2005, 23:55
I agree BrassInPocket,LOL.Still not as great hair and make-up as Poison.I remember I caught alot of flak for listening to them in High School during the 80's.

JBW
08-05-2005, 22:10
Stryper was awesome in my opinion.

But here's the scoop. As a drummer and one who's parents didn't like the secular music, my listening range was limited.

Stryper did for christian music what the Beatles or Elvis did for rock/pop whatever you want to call it.

After Stryper hit success with the Christian scene, other "harder rock" bands came out and christian music finally had some decent music for us aspiring drummers.

So like them or not, they did play a role for their genre. For example, I recognize what Elvis did for the Rock scene, but I can't stand anything about his music. Just can't stand his stuff (my wife loves it).

Of course I did wonder how Michael Sweet could hit such high falseto notes, then I wore some spandex pants for the shows our band did and it became real easy to hit high notes. ;z

ffcracker
08-13-2005, 05:28
Originally posted by maverick-tx
WORST BAND EVER!
I have to agree. I could never get into them but I had quite a few friends that thought they were great.

stepper
08-14-2005, 11:32
Originally posted by JBW
Stryper was awesome in my opinion.

But here's the scoop. As a drummer and one who's parents didn't like the secular music, my listening range was limited.

Stryper did for christian music what the Beatles or Elvis did for rock/pop whatever you want to call it.

After Stryper hit success with the Christian scene, other "harder rock" bands came out and christian music finally had some decent music for us aspiring drummers.

So like them or not, they did play a role for their genre. For example, I recognize what Elvis did for the Rock scene, but I can't stand anything about his music. Just can't stand his stuff (my wife loves it).

Of course I did wonder how Michael Sweet could hit such high falseto notes, then I wore some spandex pants for the shows our band did and it became real easy to hit high notes. ;z

Hey man, they are playing at Cain's in Tulsa on October 11, 2005. I plan on going if I can get off work.

stepper
08-14-2005, 11:34
It seems like most people either like them or hate them. Thats cool with me, but I busted out a couple of their albums and starting listening again, and I still think they are really good.

They're new album comes out 8/16/05, so I can't wait to hear what it sounds like. I've heard one of their songs and I really liked it, but there wasn't a guitar solo in it like the "old days".

JBW
08-14-2005, 13:13
Cool Stepper....

I plan on going also. Maybe we can get more GT'ers together for it.

I'm looking forward to hearing the new album. I just prefer the sound of Stryper over Michael Sweet's albums. So we'll see which one this new album is.

I guess the only original not on this tour is the bassist, Tim Gains.

I listen to the CD's every so often, and of course every Christmas season I pull out the tape with their version of "Winter Wonderland" on it. Killer cover!!!!!

stepper
08-14-2005, 14:30
Haha. Yes, I try to play that song every Christmas too. You know what, I think we need a Stryper Christmas album! Ok, maybe that would be a little cheesy.

I doubt if there will be many people from glocktalk at the Stryper concert, but who knows, maybe there will be!!

I was just on the stryperforum.com, and people were saying they got the new album today, and its not out until tuesday. One guy bought it at Best Buy in Ohio, so I'm going to go to my local Best Buy right now and try to buy it!

I feel like I'm 13 again waiting for their new album to come out. ;)

JBW
08-14-2005, 19:00
if you get it, let me know how it is if you want!!

stepper
08-14-2005, 19:07
Well, I just got back from the store. They wouldn't sell it to me. They said if they do, they can get fined for selling it too early. He said his computer showed that some stores had already been selling it! He also said they are only getting 1. I won't be able to get it becuase I work all day tuesday. I won't have a chance until wednesday to buy it. I'll let you know how it is.

JBW
08-14-2005, 19:37
If they sell out let me know and I'll see if I can find one here and send it to you.

emann
08-17-2005, 14:42
I got "Reborn" yesterday morning as soon as it came out. It's a pretty good album. Great lyrics. Not really metal but more modern rock really. Kind of funny seeing Stryper being discussed here. Didn't think I'd find any other Christian band fans here for some reason, much less classic Christian metal fans. I'm guessing Stryper is probably the only Christian metal band most of you have even heard of? There are many many others and some much better then Stryper. ;)

JBW
08-17-2005, 16:33
The only store I tried today didn't have a copy of it.

Although I didn't listen to tons of the Christian rock stuff, that's what I grew up on. Resurrection Band was the only Christian rock band until Stryper blew them.

More pop than rock, but I also love Sweet Comfort Band, old Petra, and stuff like that.

Thanks for the "Reborn" comments!

stepper
08-17-2005, 17:26
I went to several places today, and finally found it at Wal-mart! I've got it playing right now. Its not 80's metal, but I do like it. Its a very short album though. I really hope it does well!

Here are the other bands that I really like:

* Rez band
* Barnabas
* Believer
* Deliverence
* The Crucified
* Bloodgood
* Whitecross
* Disciple
* POD
* Pillar (I've gotten to hang out with them seveal times)
* Living Sacrifice
* Messiah Prophet
* Sacred Warrior
* Barren Cross

I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now.

JBW
08-17-2005, 20:05
for what it's worth...the bass player from Pillar works out at my club. I first met him while we lifted one night.

Nice guy. I'm not wild about their style of music though so I don't see myself ever buying it.

I don't think I've heard of "living sacrifice". but then again I am 40 and the memory could be going :)

stepper
08-17-2005, 22:28
Wow, thats pretty cool. When Pillar wasn't as popular as they are now, they would play these really small shows at churches and wherever they could. After the concert was over, we were hanging around and my son was helping them put their equipment away. After it was put up, they asked us if we wanted to have some pizza with them. So we went over and sat down with them and had pizza. Very cool guys. The bass players' name is Kalel, I don't think thats his real name, but thats what he goes by. I remember him saying that his favorite place to eat in tulsa is Cheddar's. We had to make sure we ate there when we were in tulsa, and I really liked it too.

Living Sacrafice has been around since the late 80's if I'm not mistaken. They sound alot musically like "Slayer".

emann
08-18-2005, 10:17
Originally posted by stepper
I went to several places today, and finally found it at Wal-mart! I've got it playing right now. Its not 80's metal, but I do like it. Its a very short album though. I really hope it does well!

Here are the other bands that I really like:

* Rez band
* Barnabas
* Believer
* Deliverence
* The Crucified
* Bloodgood
* Whitecross
* Disciple
* POD
* Pillar (I've gotten to hang out with them seveal times)
* Living Sacrifice
* Messiah Prophet
* Sacred Warrior
* Barren Cross

I know there are more, but I can't think of them right now. Good list of bands there. I've already got Whitecross's new one preordered. I'm looking more forward to it then I was the new Stryper. Come over and check us out at the Christian Metal Realm if you want more info about Christian metal.

stepper
08-18-2005, 11:13
I'm going to pre-order Whitecross's new album too! They were one of my favorites back in the day too! They really sounded alot like ac/dc and ratt, only better!

emann
08-18-2005, 11:41
I'm going to pre-order Whitecross's new album too! They were one of my favorites back in the day too! They really sounded alot like ac/dc and ratt, only better! I wouldn't wait to long on that pre-order. You do know they're only making a little over 1000 of them right? Supposedly when they're gone that's it. In case you didn't know it the Realm has heard from Believer, Holy Soldier and Neon Cross recently and they're all talking about reforming and doing some new music as well.

stepper
08-18-2005, 12:29
Originally posted by emann
I wouldn't wait to long on that pre-order. You do know they're only making a little over 1000 of them right? Supposedly when they're gone that's it. In case you didn't know it the Realm has heard from Believer, Holy Soldier and Neon Cross recently and they're all talking about reforming and doing some new music as well.

That would be very cool!

Hey, I finally got my Stryper album! This is the album I pre-ordered through they're website. It came with an autographed Bible from Michael! I now have two of their albums. I'm not going to open this one, I don't want to mess up the plastic that covers the album!

emann
08-18-2005, 12:59
I'm not going to open this one, I don't want to mess up the plastic that covers the album! I got mine out without messing up the yellow wrapper any. It can be done, just go slowly undoing the corners as to not rip it any. I just undid two corners and slid the disc out. ;)

stepper
08-18-2005, 13:32
Whats your favorite song on the album? I think mine is actually Passion. I keep listening and I'm really starting to like it. Its not heavy metal like the 80's, and I know they didn't want it to be. I just wish the they're record company would have pushed this album alot more.

JBW
08-18-2005, 17:46
Just picked up my copy on the way home today. Got to listen to about 7 of the songs. Pretty good so far. Nothing jumps out as outstanding and nothing really stinks, so that's not a bad sign for the first listen since it always gets better.

But as always, my pet peeve is any label (especially when it's rock and hard to hear the words) that does not include the lyrics.

This is being lazy and cheap. Some songs are so much better because of the lyrics and if you don't know the lyrics for awhile it's tough for me.

Oh well, I'll just have to grow up and live with it.

emann
08-18-2005, 19:32
Originally posted by JBW
But as always, my pet peeve is any label (especially when it's rock and hard to hear the words) that does not include the lyrics.

This is being lazy and cheap. Some songs are so much better because of the lyrics and if you don't know the lyrics for awhile it's tough for me. Stepper my favorite song is When Did I See You Cry, and no offense JBW but my even my grandmother would be able to understand Michael's singing and the lyric's on this disc. This is not exactly a heavy disc. I do agree though that they should've included them in the cover and if you really need the lyrics Stryper has them posted on there website. ;)

stepper
08-18-2005, 21:37
Stryper.com has the lyrics posted. There's alot of people upset about the album not having them. There aren't many albums these days that don't have them included, I don't know why they didn't include them?

stepper
08-18-2005, 21:39
oops, I just realized emann just said that.

JBW
08-20-2005, 10:53
Notice how song 7 "If I die" is actually song 9.

Tacky proofing of the jacket pre-release.

Now we'll see if they correct it for the second run (if they sell out of the first run).

stepper
08-20-2005, 16:53
Yea, I got an email from Stryper.com that said the first run was going to be a collector's item and somebody made a mistake. They are printing more with the correct song lists and sending it out.

emann
08-20-2005, 18:19
7. Wait For You
8. Rain
9. If I Die

stepper
08-25-2005, 23:11
I just saw Stryper has sold 10,000 their first week. They are number 111 out of 200 on the album sales. I guess thats alright. Not many places are carrying them, Best Buy only had 1 here in OKC. Its hard to sell many albums when nobody is even carrying it, let alone advertising it.

I really like the album!

emann
08-25-2005, 23:14
I think it's a very good album. It's seems to only get better with more listens. ;)

stepper
08-25-2005, 23:55
I totally agree. The more I listen, the better I like it.
I "burned" a cd for a young guy at work that has never heard of Stryper before. He likes heavy stuff, so I made a cd of 19 of their heavier songs. He said he wanted to hear their older stuff before the new stuff. I told him the new stuff was very different, but he would still like it. I guess I'll find out tomorrow if he likes them or not.

Some people don't like them, and thats fine, I think they are great though!

09-15-2005, 21:43
Lordy Lordy I just turned 40. I saw them @ Disney World. They filled a niche back then and were decent.Their own inner politics messed them up.... so much for harmony.