Ever had heel spurs? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever had heel spurs?

bluemeanie
07-17-2005, 18:10
I'm about 6 weeks, 2 steroid injections (directly into the heel) and a fitting for orthotics into this. It sucks.

I've been doing my best to comply with doctor's orders, but after finally getting into the swing of training, it's tough to stay off your feet and follow a regimin of enforced laziness.

I've been cleared to ride my bike, which I'm doing.

Any pointers for beating these things?

glockmeister71
07-22-2005, 01:09
I can't help you.Everbody I've ever heard that has had them say they hurt like heck.What causes them?

bluemeanie
07-22-2005, 12:04
Well, they're not the worst pain in the world, but if you don't treat them they seem to hang around a lot longer than they should.

They're caused by motions similiar to the "push-off" when you run. The real name of the condition is Plantar fasciitis (sp) ant it's the tendon in the bottom of the foot that connects the heel and the "ball" trying to pull away from the heel, and, I guess, pulling the bone out with it, so that it looks like a spur on an x-ray.

Some people are predisposed to them, it seems. Following Dr.'s orders (as best I can, he wanted me on my feet for no more than 30 minutes and then off them for at least as long) seems to help. Foot-wraps, some custom orthotics on order and limited application of ice seems to help, too. 5 weeks out and about 60% better, I'd say.

garythenuke
07-22-2005, 15:22
Hey Blue,
I've never had heel spurs, but I have had PF. Massage and ice helped me greatly. For massage, once my hands got tired, I tried standing on a tennis ball. Just put as much weight as you can on it and kind of move it around. WHat you are doing is stretching and lengthening the fascia on the bottom of your foot.
All that being said, I have never pulled the bone off of my heel. My first guess would be that massage and the tennis ball might hurt you more. I think your best bet is to let the bone heel, six weeks generally, and then work on stretching.
As far as orthotics, my PFwent away when I started going barefoot as much as possible. i have found that wearing shoes that support my feet as minimally as possible, and going barefoot wherever possible, has allowed my feet to become much stronger and far less troublesome. And I have had my share of foot trouble.
Once the bone heels you can look into all this. Has your doctor said anything about removing the spur? I do know from my mother's experience, that if the spur does not heel flat, you you will have a permanant bump that will hurt.

Good luck,

gary

bluemeanie
07-22-2005, 22:40
Hiya Gary. Hope all is well in operations. I think our aim is to treat them nonsurgically, and so far, my treatment has consisted of steroid injections in the heel, footwraps and CONSTANT wearing of shoes, pure hell on a hillbilly.

Before, I was constantly training barefoot. I am going to pick the doc's brain for an extended period when i get fitted for my orthotics.

shadow_dog
07-23-2005, 17:48
I had pain from them about 6 years ago. I was a wus and wouldn't go to the Dr at first, the pain got unbearable and I went to a podiatrist. Got a shot right up the heel, went to Cleveland the next day to the R&R Hall of Fame and a bunch of other sites and walking. Also got some heel inserts for my shoes when I got my shot. About 2 months later I had to go get another shot for some pain. Knock on wood, after that I have been fine. Oh, occassionally I might get a short pain for an hour or so, but they go away. THis has only happened about 3 times since my second shot, that was 6 years ago. I know what you're going thru and feel for you.

FWIW, another friend of mine had them at the same time as me, wouldn't go to the Dr, and still has bad pain today from them. IMO he is stupid.

My Dr told me some exercises to do--can't remember them now. Also he told me just continue with my normal routine.

JohnH
07-26-2005, 18:10
I had a heel spur on the back of my heel many years ago. I believe it's called Hagland's deformity, or something similar. Anyway, I tried everything to no avail. Finally had surgery done. They filed down the back of heel where the tendon attaches to the lower ankle. Orthodics were a complete waist of money in my experience (three different occasions), your milage may very. Streching does a lot to keep the pain in check. JohnH

bluemeanie
07-27-2005, 09:52
Well, good news. They are slooooowly getting better, and I am slooowly getting back to training. The summer months are when I get the most chance to improve, and this has taken a chunk out of my training time, mostly because I did not adapt well. I could have hit the floor for a lot of bodyweight exercises, ridden the bike more, and just basically done a better job of training around it.

shadow_dog, I've had about the same type of treatment. Shots in the heel.

JohnH, If you know where I can find Mr. Hagland, he can come and take his deformity back any time. Several folks I know are big fans of the custom-fit orthotics (where they either make a cast of your feet or "scan" them). If they don't work, it won't be the first time I've blown a significant amount of money, but I'm sure hoping.

Thanks, all.

JohnH
07-28-2005, 09:40
Bluemeanie, just to clarify, my heel spur was on the back of my heel, not the bottom of my heel. My surgery was done by an orthopedic surgeon, not a podiatrist.

As I said before, I've used orthodics on several occasions and got no results whatsoever. Some people swear by them, others swear at them. I too have thrown money at some of these alleged cures with little or no results.

The surgery definitely helped me as my pain was chronic. I have very high arches which the surgeon characterized as an inflexible foot. This can cause heel spurs. Stretching the achilles tendon can help considerably with heel spurs, unless they are calsified. Try a regular routine of stretching before you spend money on the orthodics. Good luck. JohnH

VictorLouis
07-29-2005, 16:32
along with some chiropratic ajustment of the foot. Yes, they CAN do that, LOL.:cool:

Never have had a recurrence, and neither would I care to.