What does it take to become a Champion? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to become a Champion?

theTactician
07-18-2005, 07:41
It's every shooter's dream to one day be on the headlines of a popular newspaper and being widely publicized as a world champion in some foreign country.
but first, you have to win several local championships before you can get to that level.
I know this is a generalized question but any opinion or advice can be helpful to other forumers.
Question is...what does it take to ultimately reach that goal?
How many times a day should a shooter practice? How much dry fires? how much ammo shot per practice?
How many competitions should one join in order to really master the art? or is it really just plain and simple "Talent"?

Allegra
07-18-2005, 08:44
Lotsa time, lotsa money , and todong focus
I have none of the above unfortunately :)

bulm540
07-18-2005, 17:38
Waht allegra said, proper instruction and lotsa practice.

mc_oliver
07-18-2005, 19:19
1000 rounds per day. ;f

Valor1
07-19-2005, 03:46
DESIRE comes first. Total, unadulterated, pure desire to get what you want (also applies in life and in any endeavor). All your questions will be answered along your journey if you truly desire whatever it is that you want.

FOCUS comes afterwards.

You need a lot of TIME (to practice).

Finally, you need MONEY (if shooting lang talaga pag-uusapan). It can be from your pocket or from your sponsors.

Tapos, magandang baril, maraming bala, magandang holsters at magarang porma.;f

theTactician
07-19-2005, 03:53
Thanks to all of you who have contributed something regarding my question.. i'll take each advice a serious thought.:-)
I believe in what valor has said..there should be "pure desire" to achieve something whatever endeavor is undertaken in life.
Willpower and i guess, practice and mastery of the shooting art is vital in reaching that "championship" level.
Again, still, nothing beats the "Heart of a champion".

Allegra
07-19-2005, 06:55
Heart of a Champ? thats another topic altogether
Watch Lance Armsstrong's last tour de france
Yan ang heart of a champion

chowchow
01-18-2007, 14:01
Passion for the gold medal like the Olympics.

revo
01-18-2007, 19:10
I would have to agree with Valor1 that STRONG AND OVERWHELMING DESIRE is the secret to success in this sport or any sport or any endeavor.

If you have strong desire, everything else will fall in place, sooner or later.

Developing strong desire is not easy.

ogiebb
01-18-2007, 20:43
time, money, good instructors ,practice, natural talent...and check your Ego and Attitude at the Door....o nga pala bawal din Kuuupspal...Di ba?? ha ha ha

chocoboy
01-18-2007, 20:59
U need the FORCE to be strong in you... :rofl:

Seriously speaking.... PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

glck17
01-19-2007, 06:29
Proper mind set; focus; willingness to learn, as our sport is a continuing learning process.:)

foxyyy
01-19-2007, 09:31
for us here in pinas....SPONSORSHIP!!!! :supergrin:

lots of good shooters abound in luzon, visayas & mindanao

productionguy
01-19-2007, 13:53
as for my opinion,you should or you must have the talent at the very first step,why?because i saw a lot of different kind of shooters and i teach already maybe some of the "want to be shooter" here in our area who has lots of money to spend on the sport but still if he or she dont have that what we call the "uwido","wido" or that natural talent in one person even the person spend money,time and good equipment,the person is still "hilaw"compare to those with a lower budget with natural talent guys.i am lucky before coz i got to practice and one of the member of what other people call the bulacan dream team(patrick sanchez,joseph sy,bengbeng and other good shooter)we have members who spend lots of money and time practicing at the range but the talent compare to others is not good enough,i still remember most of our members before buys reloading component from stronghand on one year supply basis computing 500 rounds practice each day,just got lucky that someone is giving me winchester powder 8 lbs every month so the expense got cut a little bit.so for me on my opinion,A PERSON MUST HAVE THE TALENT...
just my 2 cents......:)

chowchow
01-19-2007, 14:59
I have a closefriend since childhood na hilig talaga nang baril. I met him last year at membro nang Miltary Intel Group. He uses a paltik .357 but hardened. HE is a natural shot.

revo
01-19-2007, 15:53
Let me be a little bit heretical at this point.

I love the technical aspects of firearms and reloading and shooting but I just don't have a strong desire to be a 'champion'. One, I'm just too damn busy with work and other stuff. Two, when I started doing IPSC, I thought it was pretty cool and I wanted to be a 'champion'. But after going at it for a while, I began to form the opinion that in a real confrontation with trained people who shoot back like in Iraq, this IPSC, IDPA stuff is gonna be pretty stupid.

How valuable would IPSC/IDPA be, for example, in the battle of Fallujah where you couldn't even see who was shooting at you ?

Still, I don't think this IPSC/IDPA thing is entirely useless and it has some limited value for self-defense so I don't abandon it completely. Plus it's a lot of fun shooting guns.

But shooting guns for a living ? Nah, not for me. Not much money in it.

royal glockster
01-19-2007, 19:53
Oh my! How i wish i could answer your thread appropriately sir TActician since im just gun enthusiast not even a good shooter, hehe.

IMO, these are the steps to be taken to become one. First, practice, practice and more practice. 2nd, practice with somebody who can coach you with techniques on speed, target and sight acquisition, mags reloading,etc. Better if you can get the services of top world shooters like Todd Jarret, Tomasie Travis, or the TGO..:supergrin:

Ultimately, its the person's strong desire and motivation which makes him to become a "champion". :thumbsup:

jasonub
01-19-2007, 20:32
talent and willpower and money. i have the first. the second wala masyado. the third wala talaga!:supergrin:

Shoot with top shooters, talk to them and listen but dont copy them too much since you will naturally get your own style

i dont practice btw since at this level mental na mostly. good luck.

toxic
01-19-2007, 23:34
All of you guys are right..cant say anymore.:thumbsup:

errrr pwede ba mag champion pag puro BOG's forum and internet lang inaatupag.:supergrin: