Pontiac warranty almost running out.... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pontiac warranty almost running out....

emt1581
07-18-2005, 22:04
Ok my 2003 Sunfire is at 29,000 right now. I believe the warranty runs out at 36,000. Anything I should be looking for in terms of wear and tear to quick get the factory to fix?

Although I love the car I absolutely HATE (can't stress this enough) the company that made it. I'll never buy Pontiac (or GM) ever again while they are this crappy.

Anywho, what tends to go wrong right AFTER the warranty runs out with these cars? With my luck the wheels will fall off the engine will die and the trans. will drop out 5 feet after 36,000 miles. :(

Thanks for any advice.

-Emt1581

fnfalman
07-19-2005, 08:25
Get rid of it and buy something new when the warranty runs out.

emt1581
07-19-2005, 10:29
As that is not an option, what else do you suggest?

I actually do love the car. For the money, no car had better accelleration (which is number one for me) and plus it's the sportiest car for the money.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Disintegr8or
07-19-2005, 12:01
Originally posted by emt1581
.......For the money, no car had better accelleration (which is number one for me)......
-Emt1581 Your kidding right?

emt1581
07-19-2005, 12:04
I paid between $12 and $14k for all the bells and whistles...what other options could you say the same about?

Thanks

-Emt1581

partspin
07-19-2005, 12:13
I'd buy a used Civic before a new Sunfire...

emt1581
07-19-2005, 14:01
The civic's horsepower isn't as much as the sunfire. Not sure about engines. Mine is a 2.2 or 2.3 ecotec.

Anyways, enough about debates...what should I be looking at/for?

Thanks

-Emt1581

emt1581
07-19-2005, 23:31
Wow! I guess American Car's really are perfect. No wearing or significant problem areas shown in any stats???

That's how I'm interpreting the lack of info...

C'mon, give me some info....Please? ;)

Thanks

-Emt1581

knightkrawler00
07-22-2005, 12:10
The Ecotec engine hasn't been out long enough for there to be any "common" problems with them. The 4T40 (automatic) and the 5 speed have both been great transmissions as long as they are serviced regularly. I have yet to have to work on any of the Ecotec powered cars and I've been working for GM for eight years now, so that should tell you something. Take it to the dealer for a service and ask them to look the car over real well, they should be able to spot anything that needs fixing.

emt1581
07-22-2005, 12:21
That makes me feel a bit better about the engine itself, but I'm more concerned with parts falling off, breaking, etc such as hoses, filters, etc. And I'm wondering what pontiac's and more specifically Sunfire's are known for having in the area of problems past the 3 year 36,000mile mark.

Thanks for the info.:)

-Emt1581

AdrianaS79
07-24-2005, 22:59
Originally posted by emt1581
That makes me feel a bit better about the engine itself, but I'm more concerned with parts falling off, breaking, etc such as hoses, filters, etc. And I'm wondering what pontiac's and more specifically Sunfire's are known for having in the area of problems past the 3 year 36,000mile mark.

Thanks for the info.:)

-Emt1581

Hoses/filters, ect. tend to fall into the realm of owner maintainance thus not covered by any standard warranty. I'm sure your manual and warranty agreement would reflect this, had you chose to read them.

Have an independant shop check it over well, if any problems are present, inform your dealer and don't take any crap from those swine.

knightkrawler00
07-25-2005, 11:43
Originally posted by AdrianaS79
Have an independant shop check it over well, if any problems are present, inform your dealer and don't take any crap from those swine. [/B]

Yeah, I like to feed customers a lot of crap, so you shouldn't believe a word I said in my previous post. The numerous customer satisfaction awards on the wall in our sevice department with my name, and the other guys in the shop's names, came from cheating customers.

It's bad enough that I work for free almost half the time I'm at work to make sure my customers are happy with the work done, then I have to read something as stupid as this.

Sorry, EMT1581, I don't have much to tell you about what may break on your car. So far, the Sunfire has been a pretty good little car. Keep it serviced regularly and you should be driving it years from now.

emt1581
07-25-2005, 11:56
Not pouring cold water over your effots here knight, but GM/Pontiac is on my $h1t list right now.

I took my car in to be looked at, they said I needed new break pads. They tried to gouge me on the price so I went somewhere else that was cheaper and I trusted. Turns out the screws/bolts holding the pads on were cross-threaded by the factory.

The dealer, which also has all sorts of "awards" on the wall, refused to help, then called me back and the owner shook my hand, told me "don't worry, we'll take care of you" and then proceeded to have Pontiac rather than himself deal with the problem. Now that the search function is back up, you can see my prior threads on the subject.

After 2 or 3 months I got my $54 back. After filling out a ton of information, requesting bill statement from my cc company, explaining my problem for the umteenth time on paper...I was compensated. Like I said, the company/dealer sucks and is on my poop list.

This is also the reason I don't trust the dealer or the company in the least and will never buy from them again. This is why I was thinking of doing what adriana suggested well before she suggested it. I'm as patriotic as they come, but I'll be looking for non-GM from now on.

-Emt1581

knightkrawler00
07-25-2005, 13:21
I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with your dealer. It's just that I feel personally attacked when somebody refers to dealers as swine. I go well out of my way to make sure that all my customers are happy. In fact, I put a card on the rear view mirror with my full name on it and some of my customers have my cell phone number and know where I live. I havent read your previous posts, and most likely won't due to my own bias, I'm just going off of what is in this thread. I truly hope that you are happy with your car for as long as you keep it. Oh yeah, you don't have to go back to that same dealer if you have any more problems that are covered by your warranty.

Old School
07-31-2005, 15:27
Check oil seals for minor leaks (always turn into bigger leaks & problems). Ditto for brake fluid leaks esp around the master cylinder.

Best of luck.

Auburn
08-01-2005, 19:18
At 56K, the transmission on my Bonneville SSEi died. The dealer told me basically "tough"...$2000 please. I took my case to the Pontiac District Manager who agreed that trannys should not die at 56K, particularly the HD version put in the SSEi and maintained by the dealer! So, the Pontiac dealer's lack of action convinved me never to buy another Pontiac...but I do have some faith in the GM management who helped me out.

walangkatapat
08-05-2005, 08:04
I took my car in to be looked at, they said I needed new break pads. They tried to gouge me on the price so I went somewhere else that was cheaper and I trusted. Turns out the screws/bolts holding the pads on were cross-threaded by the factory.

Not to say that the cross threading didn't happen at the factory, but what makes you think the other shop didn't do the cross threading?

So far all you've mentioned is that you needed new brake pads, what else is makes you think that your car is going to be problematic after 36k?

emt1581
08-05-2005, 12:59
Already had two recalls 1) something with the computer 2) sockets were defective for rear lights in some area.

American cars are known for being more problematic than foreign cars in my experience from what I've read/heard. That makes me skeptical to begin with. Combine that with how shady the company has been with me thus far and that heightens my skepticism.

I LOOOOVVVEEE how my car performs, but it's the company standing behind it I'm worried about.

As far as the cross threading, the guy removed them by hand. I don't know much about cars, but watching him remove them, he was in line and not forceful in the least when removing them. How can it be proved either way? Just going on what I personally saw, I can't say it was from anything the mechanic did wrong at the repair shop.

Thanks

-Emt1581

walangkatapat
08-05-2005, 13:40
The recalls sound minor. A lot of cars foreign and domestic get recalls or TSBs. Have you or can you try a different Pontiac dealer? Cross threading is done putting them back in so it must have been the factory. IMHO, Since you love the car and it's been pretty good so far I'd take my chances and keep it.

Another thing is you might go the extended warranty route, but I'd ask knightkrawler00 before doing that.

emt1581
08-05-2005, 15:17
I just got the extended warranty offer in the mail...$1,200.;g

If this car costs me that in repairs, and assuming it was something other than an engine replacement, which according to prior posts hasn't been an issue at all...the company needn't worry about getting any more money from me because I'll take my business elsewhere.

Thanks for the advice.:)

-Emt1581

badhunter1234
08-05-2005, 21:09
Of course don't take the $1200 extended warranty. I also would not take it to a "Goodyear, Firestone, etc" general repair facility to be "checked over". Be assured they will find several hundred dollars of things you must urgently do or doom will occur -- then when you go back to an authorized GM dealer they will not do those things for free for you.

Sounds like your car is fine, and should service you for several years with normal maintenance. My son (who is a certified GM mechanic) "inherited" a 2000 sunfire when he got married. It has about 70,000 miles and runs fine.

I would suggest finding another GM dealer that you have more confidence in (it does not have to be a pontiac dealer). Having seen the workings of auto shops, I have much more confidence taking a vehicle to the dealer and sometimes paying a few bucks more, especially for more complicated repairs. I have seen too many incidents of people paying Goodyear $1000 for trumped up repairs, that my son could have fixed for half that at the dealership.

For routine maintenance (oil changes, belts, lights) I go to WalMart or one of the quick lube places. If its a real repair, then I go to the dealer. I have a Ford F150 truck, and have done no real repairs except replacing brake pads / rotors, which it eats up. I have 184,000 miles on it. My check engine light stays on, but it runs fine.

Good luck to you -- don't panic because your warranty is running out. You should be fine.

WickedWS6
08-06-2005, 07:54
We've owned nothing but Pontiacs since 1994 and have had no real issues to speak of. We have a 1996 SLP modded TransAm, a 1998 Formula Firebird, a 1999 V6 Y87 Firebird, a 2002 SLP Modded WS6 TransAm, a 2000 Grand Am, 2004 Grand Am GT, and an old Sunbird in pieces. The 96 TA just turned 60k on the clock and needed an alternator. The 98 FB has 36k, no problems. The 99 FB has 86k, again, alternator. The 02 TA had a computer problem at 1200 miles (warranty item) and now has just over 22k on it without any further issues. On the older cars I keep up with the factory stated maintenance routines, of course replacing brakes, etc as needed. I had the rotors rust away on the 96 once from sitting too long (learned my lesson). The 00 and 04 Grand Am's both have around 30k on each and have no problems at all. The Sunbird (unknown year) was my wife's vehicle during college and for a good while afterwards. It has something like 186k on it and has been in 2 accidents. I was going to replace some stuff on it back in 2000, but we wound up buying the Grand Am instead. We just haven't gotten around to getting the Sunbird towed away yet. I did get the extended warranty on both Grand Am's since they are pretty much our daily driver's and will see the most mileage in the shortest time span. The warranty is good for something like 7yrs\80k, which should hopefully work well. Overall I think extending the warranty could be benefitial if you plan on keeping the vehicle a long time. Most of our vehicle's are serviced by the original dealer at this point, and in my experience, the American made vehicle's I've owned have all been perfectly fine.