I need a new firewall [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need a new firewall

gwalchmai
07-19-2005, 18:42
I have about 100 users sharing a T1. I'd like to get the best thing in the under $500 range (under $300 would be better). Any recommendations would be appreciated.

HerrGlock
07-20-2005, 10:55
Cheesy pentium and gnatbox light or one of the smoothwall type firewalls.

That is about as inexpensive as you're going to get. A decent PIX or similar will run over a grand.

DanH

HerrGlock
07-20-2005, 10:59
Yikes, didn't notice the 100 concurrent users. You'd need Gnatbox full version of some stripe.

The various BSD, Linux, etc firewalls are unlimited users and will install on your hardware you already have.

DanH

gwalchmai
07-20-2005, 15:50
Originally posted by HerrGlock
Yikes, didn't notice the 100 concurrent users. You'd need Gnatbox full version of some stripe.

The various BSD, Linux, etc firewalls are unlimited users and will install on your hardware you already have.

DanH Thanks, Dan. The users aren't "internet concurrent", but any of them may be on at any time. Probably 10 concurrent, tops. Either way, though, the Linux box sounds like the way to go.

Roland-G23
07-20-2005, 16:33
Dan, whats the damage of a full version of Gnatbox? I'm considering a firewall upgrade to a Netscreen 5GT Extended to replace the SONICwall SOHO II I inherited.

HerrGlock
07-20-2005, 18:48
When I called them (year ago?) it was between $995 - $3,000. Depends on what you're looking for. The "cheap" one was basically a solid state hard drive that plugs into the IDE chain.

DanH

proguncali
07-21-2005, 09:13
You can get a Cisco PIX 501 for about $400 bucks.

Run through the little Web wizard thing and your good to go if you don't know the PIX OS.

I've put them in a FEW places and they work great!

Daynja
07-21-2005, 11:16
I would recommend smoothwall. If you want to stay legit, you'll have to pay for it since I'm guessing this is for commercial use (home and non-commercial is free) But it's not very expensive. It's just the software though. You'll have to build your own computer. With that many users you won't need a really expensive computer.

The best solution would be if you had an old computer laying around, you could just install smoothwall on it.

Go here

http://www.smoothwall.net/cgi-bin/store/i5specificationcalc

And enter in your requirements and it will tell you what kind of computer you need.