GIS - Geographic Information Systems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GIS - Geographic Information Systems

KG4IDA
07-21-2005, 19:19
Anyone here work in this field or had training in this?
I find myself facing getting yet another Microsoft certification and I really don't want to turn do it. Bill has gotten enough of my money.

For those who don't know, GIS is the use of software tools to overlay things on maps, such as a utility companies transformers. It may also be used as a sales tool to track sales, etc.

Wulfenite
07-23-2005, 23:01
I took a GIS class a few years ago; it was a doing class not a networking class. Its powerful software but its kind of like autocad in that if you're not getting a lot of training and working with it every day you'll be very frustrated and it will take you a long time to get anything done.

gwalchmai
07-24-2005, 18:52
Originally posted by KG4IDA
Anyone here work in this field or had training in this?
I find myself facing getting yet another Microsoft certification and I really don't want to turn do it. Bill has gotten enough of my money.

For those who don't know, GIS is the use of software tools to overlay things on maps, such as a utility companies transformers. It may also be used as a sales tool to track sales, etc. My company makes and markets a GIS app for electric utility mapping. It runs on Arc/Info. What are you trying to do, exactly? Support GIS, write GIS apps? I think ESRI or Bentley would be your best best for training and certification.

KG4IDA
07-24-2005, 19:50
The local community college offers a one year 7 course training program that gives you a technical certification. They use ESRI/ArcView. The company I work for is a big user of Bentley although not for GIS. I already know a little about ArcView but haven't had any formal training. If I like it, I can get a BS instate.