anybody watch "Pinks"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : anybody watch "Pinks"?

glockmeister71
07-22-2005, 01:24
Has anyone else watched this show?I think it's a POS.I live in a rural area and street raced for years.I've never saw a street race that someone got 5 car lengths or any car lengths as far as that goes.We always ran straight up,run what you brung.If one had slicks or sticky DOTs and you had radials,so what.You need to get some better tires.Same thing with the bottle.I never raced for slips,but we did do a $50 race every now and then.I had hopes for this show,but so far has been a big let down.Does anyone else feel this way?

ATI_RAGE_
07-22-2005, 03:08
I think movies have errr glorified it. Kids now a days want cheap HP, so using the bottle is an easy way to put what 50-150 hp maybe up to 300. Didn't see the show Pinks though.

glockmeister71
07-22-2005, 15:55
Yeah,it's cheap HP,but it's also more streetable.Runnning a 13.00:1 compression motor just don't get it on a daily driver.I had a 10.25:1 355 w/175 hp juice.It was a streetable combo.Even with 4.10 gear,I drove up to 1.5 hours to drag strips and up to a hour away to street race.It wasn't the fastest thing on earth,but it did 7.40's 1/8 mile on DOT's,through the mufflers,and 93 octane gas.I was happy with it.At the time,their was no other car in my area that could beat me in street trim.Now they are just too much traffic,even late night,to street race anymore.When I did it,it was pretty "safe",but I couldn't say that now.

Ron3
07-22-2005, 20:33
The show is very stupid. I watched half an episode. Don't waste your TV time on it.

Ron3

SJRTX
07-23-2005, 02:33
Originally posted by glockmeister71
Has anyone else watched this show?I think it's a POS.I live in a rural area and street raced for years.I've never saw a street race that someone got 5 car lengths or any car lengths as far as that goes.We always ran straight up,run what you brung.If one had slicks or sticky DOTs and you had radials,so what.You need to get some better tires.Same thing with the bottle.I never raced for slips,but we did do a $50 race every now and then.I had hopes for this show,but so far has been a big let down.Does anyone else feel this way?

Grew up in a smaller town, then moved down here to Houston, and got in with a street racer crowd, and it was completely different. Back in Longview, it was usually a heads up race, for fun. Down here, at a "meet" any real "street racer" is only going to run for cash.

Giving land is part of the game. Also-you got the "move", or maybe a combination of the two. Sure sometimes people will run heads up, but down here its all about "hustling" the other guy. If you can talk him into enough land, or land+ the move, to give you a guaranteed win...its easy money, as long as you know enough, and enough people, to be sure your not the one getting hustled.

Down here, on the bigger money races, they will actually use sweep, and use VHT to prep the "track", after all, theres LOTS of fast cars down here. Infact, theres several 8-9 second LS1's that come out frequently, and various other cars that fall into the lower 8's.

And where they race at down here (various places) there is no traffic, its usually late at night or early in the morning, and they will actually block off the road (which is usually behind some warehouses or in some industrial area anyway).

glockmeister71
07-23-2005, 16:37
I'd like to see some 8 second cars running on the street.That'd be wicked.We used VHT around here sometimes too.I guess it draws a big crowd,right?The biggest crowd I ever saw around here was when me and another guy ran.We had been planning for 3 weeks and we was the 2 fastest street cars in town.Even then,it only drew about 30 people.This is a lil rural town though.

Ron3
07-23-2005, 20:22
Intentionally giving lengths or time is called bracket racing.

Might as well go to the track.

Ron3

SJRTX
07-23-2005, 20:30
what happens is, people either setup a race through the grapevine, keeping it pretty low key, or they set it up on local forums, or a race may get setup at one of several meets during the week here in town. there are different meets in different parts of the city on different days-and sometimes they are pretty large (like 150+ cars) and everything from slow imports, to full on 8 sec cars on trailors. Once a race worth watching is setup everyone in the "circle" is told somewhat quietly where to go. After all, they dont want the whole meet all heading out to one place at the same time. That will just draw unwanted attention. So once its said and done, and everyone is at the spot thats already been picked and usually prepped, theres a pretty good sized crowd-but hopefully not too big. Smaller crowds are better. No crowd is best-just the 2 people racing and their crew.

Check out the scandelous trailers if you have time, the did filming in various places, but the best racing came from Chicago, and Houston-and I know half the guys that were filmed in the Houston section.

http://www.scandalousracing.com/streaming/

Asha'man
07-24-2005, 14:51
The contestants on Pinks have a chance to buy their cars back for $50 or $100 when the episode is done, so that alone kills it for me. If they actually lost their cars, it'd be much more entertaining.

Brian

waktasz
07-24-2005, 17:30
I agree it's stupid they get those car length leads...they should try and get similar cars with similar mods and base it on driver skill, this 'name that tune' horsecrap with 'I can beat you by 5 lengths, not 6' is retarded.

magsnubby
07-25-2005, 19:52
Boohoo. Cheater. You brought a real race car to a drag race.