Need help from someone who runs a website [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Need help from someone who runs a website

EvilGenius
07-22-2005, 21:09
Hey folks, I have put together a small site for a club that I'm in and can't figure this one, seemingly easy

I want the forums to be located at forums.domain.com

right now, they are located at www.domain.com/forums

can anyone help? I can't even figure out how to google for an answer...

bohr
07-22-2005, 21:14
Who is the name registered under? You will will need to setup the domain name forums.domain.com and have it point to domain.com/forums.

EvilGenius
07-22-2005, 21:16
ahhh, it's another domain entirely? I had no idea.

Well, I got domain registration and hosting for a year on special for 9 bucks, so I guess I'll stick with what works, thanks

bohr
07-22-2005, 21:18
Who does your webhosting? You need to setup a sub-domain that points back to domain.com/forums as this is where the forum is physically located.

ETA: you don't have to register a new domain name (it won't let you since you own it). All you have to do is get the webhosting service to forward a sub-domain.

EvilGenius
07-22-2005, 21:29
ahhh, okay. I know how to do that.

it's with www.dreamhost.com

thanks alot. This gets me going in the right direction

bohr
07-22-2005, 21:38
No problem. Let me/us know if she works.

noneyet
07-30-2005, 09:32
I use hostingonnet.com for my hosting service. I am a novice and i find it easy to set up subdomains with their service.

HerrGlock
07-30-2005, 10:53
www.domain.com is a machine within domain.com
if you put another machine up with another IP address, you could call it forums.domain.com

OR

You could make a virtual domain within the apache server called forums.domain.com, point the DocumentRoot to your forums directory and add a line within your dns server such as
forums.domain.com IN CNAME www.domain.com

and then people would type in
http://forums.domain.com

and be directed to your www.domain.com address but apache would take the actual request of forums.domain.com and it would be started at the right place and do what you want.

DanH