1911 questions: refinishing etc [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 questions: refinishing etc

jundeleon
07-25-2005, 17:47
Would a refinishing job on a 1911 (say hard chrome, black chrome) erase original rollmarks on the slide and the serial numbers/manufacturers marks on the frame?

Would a hard chrome or black chrome stop rust from spreading?

How do you restore the original color of the wood grips?

How can you tell if a barsto barrel is an original?

The Colt Mark IV gun I acquired has "government model" stamped on the left side but the slide is commander length. Could it be that the slide was cut? The cut portion of the slide is fixed on the threaded part of the barsto barrel, which has some sort of black sleeve on it.

Is it possible to restore the firing pin block/safety system? The plunger on the slide is missing and so is the activating lever on the frame.

batangueno
07-26-2005, 05:42
Would a refinishing job on a 1911 (say hard chrome, black chrome) erase original rollmarks on the slide and the serial numbers/manufacturers marks on the frame?

No

Would a hard chrome or black chrome stop rust from spreading?

I supopse the preparation should take out the rust before chroming in order for the rust not to spread anymore.

How do you restore the original color of the wood grips?

Oil or Pledge might work. :)

How can you tell if a barsto barrel is an original?

Compare from a known original barsto barrel.

The Colt Mark IV gun I acquired has "government model" stamped on the left side but the slide is commander length. Could it be that the slide was cut? The cut portion of the slide is fixed on the threaded part of the barsto barrel, which has some sort of black sleeve on it.

I have no idea.

Is it possible to restore the firing pin block/safety system? The plunger on the slide is missing and so is the activating lever on the frame.

Yes, a gunsmith should be able to do that.

mc_oliver
07-26-2005, 18:53
Chrome is only rust-resistant, not rust-proof. And if the prep is not good, you can have rust underneath the chrome job. IMHO, the best pa rin deep rich blue sa 1911, mas madali i-restore. ;)

Or, the best way is to shoot your gun often. When it's no longer pristine, a little rust shouldn't also matter. At this point you'll only care about function and not looks.

Eye Cutter
07-27-2005, 05:59
kaya pala bling bling finish ng baril mo! hahahaha!

jundeleon
07-27-2005, 07:31
eyecutter

heres the pic.

the extension on the barrel is not a comp. i think its the portion of the slide that was cut off from the slide. it is threaded on the barrel.

The barrel has "barsto" marked on the portion which shows on the ejection port.

I plan to either cut the barrel to make it flush with the shortened commander length slide and do away with that comp-looking weight. Or just buy a cheap commander length bull barrel.

Also since the sight is on that weight/barrel extension, i would need to install a front sight on the slide.

After that a refinishing of the whole gun would be in order to hide the rust (konti lang naman).

batangueno
07-27-2005, 08:40
Bakit gusto mo pa palitan, maganda naman ah.

Eye Cutter
07-27-2005, 08:53
yeah, its a barrel weight to control muzzle jump. looks like the old style pin guns without the porting. try mo muna iputok, kung hindi naman nag jam, wag mo na palitan. besides, i think the cut made it shorter than a commander slide

Mang Danny
07-27-2005, 09:32
looks like the old style pin guns without the porting

Try to check for frame/slide battering in contact areas. Replace with proper recoil spring and enjoy. Forget the series 80 parts. Nice gun!

jundeleon
07-27-2005, 18:22
thanks for the input.
yes maybe i will just try it out on the range first before doing any alterations.
there are pockets of rust on the frame surface beneath the grips and the top part of the slide, so a refinishing job is a must.

gunfool
07-27-2005, 18:29
Jun heto ba yung naka ads sa buyandsellplus?

jundeleon
07-27-2005, 22:07
gunfool -- yes. this is the one. i took it via trade for my m16.