Talk to me about a 1991 Miata/2002 Lancer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about a 1991 Miata/2002 Lancer

Alan
07-26-2005, 10:34
Thanks for all the help! Found a great deal on an '02 Mazda Protege.

Rob1035
07-26-2005, 11:51
are you comparing the two or asking for independent opinions? If the former, they are drastically different in almost every way...

Alan
07-26-2005, 12:07
Originally posted by Rob1035
are you comparing the two or asking for independent opinions? If the former, they are drastically different in almost every way...

Independent opinions.

Rob1035
07-27-2005, 11:23
The miatas are almost always fun. $5k may be a little steep, as that will easily get you a later model with the 1.8L engine (the 1991s had the 1.6). The hard top is a nice bonus though. The mileage is better than most 91s I guess.

Disintegr8or
07-27-2005, 12:17
Miata's are fun to drive, but they have qa bad Stigma attached to them that male drivers are homosexuals.

Alan
07-27-2005, 12:35
Originally posted by Disintegr8or
Miata's are fun to drive, but they have qa bad Stigma attached to them that male drivers are homosexuals.

;z

Okay...that does it! The Miata is OUT!!!

Rob1035 - I thought it was a little high, too. Edmunds lists it for $2300 and Kelley Blue Book lists it for $3650.

Think I'll concentrate on something else.

Rob1035
07-27-2005, 13:06
get a bike, that will definitely prove to the world you aren't a homo...

Alan
07-27-2005, 18:57
get a bike, that will definitely prove to the world you aren't a homo...

Been there...done that. It's a VERY long story, but I was nearly killed in an accident in 2001. I was told that I'm actually lucky to be alive. Haven't been on another bike since then.

The Miata is gone. Sold a day ago...so back to the drawing board. Think I'll start looking at a small Honda or Toyota.

Rob1035
07-27-2005, 19:29
I was sort of kidding actually, it's sad when people automatically dismiss what is arguably one of the most fun cars for the money because of an insecurity.

Miatas are plentiful, I'm sure you can find another if you want one.

Alan
07-27-2005, 21:41
I actually miss riding. Once it gets in your blood...it never leaves! However, after nearly losing my life in an accident and being fortunate enough to live through it...I promised my then 1 year old son that I'd never ride again.

After doing some cursory research, I've come to the conclusion that those little Miatas are exceptionally reliable and drive like they're on rails.

I was sort of kidding actually, it's sad when people automatically dismiss what is arguably one of the most fun cars for the money because of an insecurity.

Miatas are plentiful, I'm sure you can find another if you want one.

45acp4me
07-29-2005, 06:44
The miata is a street legal go kart. Do your self a favor and look for a 1993 or newer, the 1.8l is a better motor.

Some guys gave me grief about driving a "girl car," that was up until I took them for a ride and they came back lacking color in their skin. A few high speed corners will certainly change their minds. :)

hihoslva
08-17-2005, 11:21
Originally posted by 45acp4me
The miata is a street legal go kart. Do your self a favor and look for a 1993 or newer, the 1.8l is a better motor.

Some guys gave me grief about driving a "girl car," that was up until I took them for a ride and they came back lacking color in their skin. A few high speed corners will certainly change their minds. :)
+10.

The things I used to do in my '93 - I've had a few friends nearly get sick.

The Miata is arguably the best pure sports car ever made. It's light (as in, 2200 lbs light), zippy, balanced, and an absolute hoot to drive. The short-throw 5-speed is slick, and the pedals are set up perfectly for toe-heeling. Comes in real handy when you're doing 65 into a 90 degree corner, and really want to slow down to about 30, slap it into second, and blast out of the turn with the tail wagging.

I loved my '93, and will eventually buy another one as a project car. The aftermarket support for Miatas is incredible, and you can dump 200+ horses out of them pretty easily. They are very reliable cars, too - even worked.

$5000 for a '91 is a little steep in my book. I sold my '93 about 3.5 years ago for $4500. Wasn't in perfect shape, but it was very good, and only 80k miles. If you can spend $5k, look for a newer, lower-mileage car.

Forget the stupid "stigma", too. If driving the most fun, nimble car around means you're homosexual, then call me George Michael. :)

Alan
08-17-2005, 12:06
Originally posted by hihoslva
The Miata is arguably the best pure sports car ever made.

I thought it was a bit much, too. I called the dealer after I had an Edmunds, NADA, and KBB quote on that car...but it was gone. Too bad.

I ended up finding an '02 Mazda Protege with 75K miles at a local CarMax dealership. I went back home, did some digging/research, and heard nothing but good things about that car. They had a great price on the vehicle...so I snatched it up. It's now my daily driver. I can leave the Marauder parked in the garage! She only comes out on nice days.

That's a great little engine under the hood. It's got a little 4cyl/2.0L/16valve engine in it. I believe it's DOHC...but I'm not certain. Drives like a dream and corners like it's on rails. Still feels new.

hihoslva
08-17-2005, 12:59
Heh. You're talking my language....

I owned a 2002 Mazda Protege5 (the hatchback) for 3 years. In fact, I sold my Miata to buy it.

I used it as a daily driver + work car. We're talking lots of miles, rough NYC roads, valets in the parking garages, the whole 9 yards.

The car never hiccupped. Ever. I sold it with almost 80,000 miles on it (yes, in 3 years).

Awesome little ride. Peppy engine, and probably one of the best-handling front-wheel-drive cars out there. I've read magazine articles where they liked the Pro better than BMW's in terms of handling.

If there's anything you ever need to know about the car, feel free to ask. I either know the answer, or probably know someone who does.

Zoom-zoom-zoom - enjoy!

Alan
08-17-2005, 13:04
Originally posted by hihoslva
If there's anything you ever need to know about the car, feel free to ask. I either know the answer, or probably know someone who does.

Dang! That's an offer I can't refuse. Just wish you were closer to me. I'd throw you the keys, let you drive it, then come back and tell me what you thought of it. I'm still getting used to the little noises it makes. Every car has it's own personality. Not sure what sort of little noises mean future trouble and what noises are just characteristic for that car.

hihoslva
08-17-2005, 13:18
Noises.....hmmmm....such as?

Has it been cold since you got the car - like 50 degrees or under? If so, you might have a "grumbling" noise on start-up, until the car warms up. Kinda sounds like a diesel a little bit.

I believe it is the VTCS - Variable Tumble Control System. I think I got that right.....

What it does is make the air coming into the engine turbulent, to increase fuel economy while the car warms up. It's a bit of a noisy system - and I heard that it was fixed either in the 2003 model year or during the 2002.5 "refresh" that was done on all the Proteges. Regardless, that system helps the car to be classivied as a ULEV - Ultra Low Emissions Vehicle. It can be especially noisy in high-revs until you reach operating temperature; I think the system shuts down @ 180 degrees.

Do you know if you have a 2002 or a 2002.5? There were very minor interior changes for 2002.5, along with different rims (if you have the stock alloys). I know the Protege5 got sidemarker lights on the fenders for 2002.5, but I'm not sure if the sedans always had them.......it's been a while.....:)

I could go on and on........:):)

Alan
08-17-2005, 13:33
hihoslva,

Those are good questions. I'm not quite sure where it falls in the 2002 model year...but if I understand you correctly...mine does have the little side markers on the front quarterpanels.

This is silver exterior/gray interior and loaded. Power everything, sliding/tilting sunroof, etc. It's automatic.

I'm just north of Houston, Texas...so it's around 90+ every day! ;)

The noise that concerns me the most is almost as you've described. It doesn't go away once it warms up, but it does sound like a clacking diesel engine in a sort of way. I wouldn't describe it as a grumbling so much as a quiet ticking that increases and decreases with speed. It's almost as if a lifter is bad or something...but everything seems rock solid and the Carfax report was SPOTLESS!

Wish you were down this way. I'd throw you the keys in a heartbeat!

hihoslva
08-17-2005, 13:55
You might have a little valve tap. It's not uncommon, and nothing to worry about, IMHO. I think my Pro had it, too. A ticking while running.

Keep the oil fresh, and she'll run for a good long time.

Gotta love the way they loaded up those cars. They still do, with the new 3-series. Power everything, cruise control, etc. They're great values.

To tell if your car is "pre-" or "post-" mid-year refresh:

What do your rims look like?

Pre-refresh:
http://www.partstrain.com/images/products_large/ALY64844U20.JPG

Post-refresh:
http://www.partstrain.com/images/products_large/ALY64852U20.JPG

You know, come to think of it - there was a lot of confusion with the Protege line. See, the 2001 Protege (sedan) and 2002 Protege5 (hatch) BOTH went on sale in 2001. Strange, but true. The 2002.5 refresh had mostly to do with the Pro5, and that car's wheels changed like the pics above. But the sedan....hmmm....I dunno.

I guess you could have these wheels, too, but I think these are from 2003:
http://www.partstrain.com/images/products_large/ALY64851U20.JPG

I dunno. But your date of manufacture should be on the sticker in the door jamb. I think my Protege5 was April, 2001, and I took delivery in June, 2001.

Alan
08-17-2005, 14:36
Believe it or not...my alloy wheels don't look like any of those. Date of manufacture on the door says 03/02. Wheels are definitely from Mazda, look sort of similar to the pre-refresh but my spokes don't appear to be as "twisted" as the ones you posted...and mine are 4-hole wheels. Definitely not 5-hole wheels like you've posted.

The sound from the motor sounds just as you've described it. Sort of a quiet diesel-like tapping noise that increases and decreases with the push or release of the accelerator. The Carfax record was spotless and I've heard good things, and now that's confirmed by you, so I'm not so worried about it. My 30 day warranty is going to expire soon!

You are right about the steering. It's dead on and as precise as my dad's 3 series BMW. It just feels tight and sure-footed all the time, especially while cornering.

Mazda may have gone through a decontenting phase. My Mercury Marauder is the same way. Even though it's an '03 (only made in '03 and '04) there were 2 variations in 2003: 300A and 300B. Some cars fell in between the decontent phase-out. My car has some 300A features and some 300B features. Only very slight differences, but enough to distinguish them.

300A variations didn't have traction control, had map pockets, heated seats, remote open fuel door, clock below the radio controls, trunk organizer, and a full-size spare. My 300B HAS traction control, NO map pockets, NO heated seats, NO remote fuel door, clock IN the radio, NO trunk organizer, and a full-size spare. Others have described different variations of these features during the phase-out. We figured out that they didn't start the 300Bs right after the last 300A rolled off the line. There were left over features, some things thrown in, or slightly changed until all cars rolling off the line were true 300B variations.

2004 Marauder models are all 300A versions.