First Responder Calls [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Responder Calls

Nozzlejunkie
07-26-2005, 11:04
My dept. just started sending us on all tramua calls with EMS. It does not bother me. My moto "If you call me I will come" other guys don't fell that way. My only beef is that out of nine full time employees only two have current CPR and First aid. They are also wnating to buy a AED. I am all for it but you still only have two full time people that are certified. I know AED's are supposed to be idiot proof and all about the good samaritan act but I feel that we are professionals and should be fully certified and have things in order to keep those certifications current at all times. Relying on the good samaritan act is not good enough for the full time employees of a fire dept.

Skintop911
07-27-2005, 11:01
"Good Samaritan" legislation, as it is commonly understood, likely doesn't apply to you (in your offical capacity) or your service. Better have your admin review pertinent statutes if they're relying upon it to save them from liability exposure.

cknight98
07-28-2005, 10:47
i agree, i dont think the good samaritan law covers us depts. i'd highly suggest you get everyone certified ASAP...

timmy12gauge
07-29-2005, 11:38
Are you EMS or are you running with ems as a fire dept? Eighter way in Colorado I don't know of one department Fire/EMS that doesn't REQUIRE CPR/EMT Training and Cert. Every fire dept I am trying to get on with, requires at least an EMT cert and CPR cert. One dept. requires you to be EMT to apply, then if you are hired they send you to fire, and paramedic school.

Nozzlejunkie
08-01-2005, 04:50
Yeah I know, but you can't tell those dumb SOB's anything. We do this job everyday but they don't want to hear what we have to say. We don't know what we are talking about.

Solo1st
08-03-2005, 18:46
The more conferences that i go to the more amazed i am at the many different ways that communities provide EMS and Fire services to their citizens. There are so many different models and mixes of service, public vs private (even in the fire service) subscription, police based first response, 3rd service, etc etc. I think you should probably ask some departments in your county and in your state how they solved the issue, no sense re-inventing the wheel. Also helpful to remember is that the AED is being placed in public venues so that lay people have access to them, so denying them to well intentioned first responders will be difficult to justify. At the least this may be a good opportunity to get all the firefighters CPR trained, just couple the training for the AED with a CPR class.

*also, every state words their laws differently, whats covered in good samaritan legislation in one state may not mentioned or be completely differnet in your state.*

Nozzlejunkie
08-06-2005, 08:52
The reason we are doing our best to keep the AEDs out is because no one has a cert. on it. We want the FD to get everybody trained and have a way ready to keep them trained. They also have to buy it because we are not spending 0ne percent money on it. They have 500,000 dollars in CDs collecting interest. This fire dept. is a special tax district and is run by a bunch of fat cats that no nothing about fighting fire.