Best Dig Camera without the lag time [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Dig Camera without the lag time

CarbineKid
07-26-2005, 13:36
I have a 2 Olympus digital cameras(and my family has several others) and they all suffer from the same problem. Whenever I hit the botton to take a picture theres a lag of a second or two before the camera actualy takes the picture. I have missed several good shots becasue of this. My old film camera took the picture the instant I hit the button. So are there any digital cameras that do the same without the lag time, o is this just "normal" on digital cameras.
Thanks in advance

DeadMansLife
07-26-2005, 14:11
How do you have your flash set?

If it is set for red eye reduction it will lag a lot.

Tvov
07-26-2005, 14:15
We have a Canon A95 (I think that is what it is), and we had the same problem. We were just using it on "auto", and it seemed forever before the camera would take the picture. My wife flipped through the instruction manual (;b , my first thought was: "instruction manual, what's that?") and found how to set it for "instant action" shots. It still seems a little slow than film cameras, but it is much better.

Anon1
07-26-2005, 16:55
Nearly instant digicams:

http://www.exilim.casio.com/

Uncle Don
07-26-2005, 17:25
I have a fugi and it did the same thing, but it has a feature that when you push the button half way, it auto focuses, then when you push the rest of way, it takes the picture.

Therefore, if I want something instant, I pre-focus on the area and then push the rest of the way at the action point. Works fine.

Toyman
07-28-2005, 06:29
Originally posted by CarbineKid
... So are there any digital cameras that do the same without the lag time, or is this just "normal" on digital cameras.
Thanks in advance

No, this is not normal with all digital cameras. I have an Olympus E-10 and it doesn't do that, but it's a high end full size DSLR. Typically these DSLR's don't have much of a delay at all, but they will run you $900-$1500.

Part of the delay is focusing, and part of it is calculating the auto-exposure. Not all cameras focus at the same speed, and not all process information for exposure at the same speed. Canon's are the best hands down for focus speed (at least the EOS types).

erikd65
07-28-2005, 21:50
Nikon D70, hands down

funbob
07-29-2005, 11:21
Any DSLR will have have lag times comparable to that of film. For a compact digicam, the performance of my Sony models is excellent. A few things you can do to improve the response time are to press the shutter button halfway down to prefocus and set exposure before the shot is taken, if you're going to be taking pictures at a known distance, set the focus manually. Most digicams have a menu setting for this somewhere and the depth of field is so deep with compact digicams that there's enough latitude to do this and not suffer blurry pictures. Lastly, check to see if your camera has an option for continuous AF. The disadvantage is that this will use somewhat more battery but it won't take as long to focus on the shot as it's constantly adjusting the focus on the fly.

GTIMANiac
07-30-2005, 01:11
Originally posted by erikd65
Nikon D70, hands down

Combined with an external flash and you are in great shape. I have an SpeedLight 800 on mine, and even with the flash I still get 3 frames a second.

Me&MyG23
07-30-2005, 06:07
Don't know if your camera has the burst feature or not. When I'm trying to get an "action" pic of some sort, I used the 3 or 5 shot burst. Usually comes up with some really good pics.