gunsmithing costs [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : gunsmithing costs

jundeleon
07-27-2005, 02:28
I am planning to refurbish a colt 1911 pistol i just acquired in a trade.

May I solicit some inputs on gunsmithing costs (range lang or estiamtes based on your experience) as follows:

1. installation of front sight - dovetail

2. fitting of commander bull barrel. the barsto barrel that came with the gun is extended to government length. Sayang ata if i cut the barsto barrel to make it fit flush the commander length slide.

3. refinishing black chrome (frame, slide, and if possible beavertail, ambi safety, magwell, and slide stop)

thanks for any info.

Eye Cutter
07-27-2005, 05:57
dovetail - 750
barrel fitting - 1500
6k na yata black chrome

Eye Cutter
07-27-2005, 05:57
meron ka pictures, jun?

isuzu
07-29-2005, 17:42
Originally posted by jundeleon
I am planning to refurbish a colt 1911 pistol i just acquired in a trade.

May I solicit some inputs on gunsmithing costs (range lang or estiamtes based on your experience) as follows:

1. installation of front sight - dovetail

2. fitting of commander bull barrel. the barsto barrel that came with the gun is extended to government length. Sayang ata if i cut the barsto barrel to make it fit flush the commander length slide.

3. refinishing black chrome (frame, slide, and if possible beavertail, ambi safety, magwell, and slide stop)

thanks for any info.

What brand of Commander Bull Barrel are you putting on your gun? If it were my gun, I'll have the Bar-Sto barrel cut(unless you have another gun that needs it), provided the gunsmith does a good crowning job. Bar Sto barrels are one of the best in the market. Besides, it's already fitted in the gun. You might also want to look for the 7791193 barrels either made by S & W and another contractor which I forgot. They are pretty accurate. They also cost less than the Bar Sto barrels.

I also don't have a need for bull barrels. They'll need a reverse plug, making it more difficult to field strip.

Also, get a 20 lb recoil spring with matching firing pin from Wolff. Commanders need stiffer springs to prevent possible cracking of the slide.

Allegra
07-29-2005, 22:15
di ko nagets, ipapa bull mo yung barsto?
If yuo are , wag na, sayang lang pera pre

jundeleon
07-30-2005, 01:02
allegra

i posted the pic of the gun in the other thread entitled "1911 questions refinishing etc."

the barsto barrel is the thin type. it has a sleeve on it that makes it a bull barrel. on the sleeve, there is an attached weight probably the portion of the slide that was cut off. the sleeve makes it a bull barrel. it is black while the barrel is steel gray.

i was thinking of cutting or replacing the barrel just to remove the barrel weight. maybe replacing the barrel weight with a comp may do also. but comps dont work well in 45s, i think.

if i remove the barrel weight without cutting the barrel, i would end up with a commander with an extended/government 5 inch barrel.

anyway i still have yet to decide what to do on this gun.

isuzu
07-30-2005, 01:32
Originally posted by jundeleon
allegra

i posted the pic of the gun in the other thread entitled "1911 questions refinishing etc."

the barsto barrel is the thin type. it has a sleeve on it that makes it a bull barrel. on the sleeve, there is an attached weight probably the portion of the slide that was cut off. the sleeve makes it a bull barrel. it is black while the barrel is steel gray.

i was thinking of cutting or replacing the barrel just to remove the barrel weight. maybe replacing the barrel weight with a comp may do also. but comps dont work well in 45s, i think.

if i remove the barrel weight without cutting the barrel, i would end up with a commander with an extended/government 5 inch barrel.

anyway i still have yet to decide what to do on this gun.

One thing you could do with a barrel is to put a comp in it if it is threaded. A good gunsmith could make a cone-type comp and you have a carry-comp pistol.