XP Pro w/ SP2 CD won't boot [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : XP Pro w/ SP2 CD won't boot

SlammedDime
07-28-2005, 18:17
I can get this CD to boot on every other computer I own with XP Pro w/ SP2, except for the one that crashed. Any other CD will boot on the crashed computer, except for the XP CD. Any ideas what might cause this? I'm almost 100% sure XP with SP2 is on the bad computer, but if it wasn't, would that be the reason for not booting?

I get the screen that says "Press any key to boot from cd.." I press any key, then it hangs. It only happens on the crashed computer. I know how to fix the problem, but can't do it without booting from the cd first. I need to get into the Recovery Console.

David_G17
07-28-2005, 19:32
might try copying the xp cd onto another cd.

some particular cd-rom's have problems with particular brands of cd's.

that's the only idea i can come up with.

erikd65
07-28-2005, 21:52
Make sure the CD-ROM is in the boot order in the bios. I usually go Floppy >> CD >> HDD in that order.

SlammedDime
07-28-2005, 22:46
Ok, I made an XP cd with sp1 slipstreamed, and it still didn't work, and I also downloaded boot disks from microsoft, and thats not working. Getting some ntfs.sys error message. My last resort is to remove the HDD, hook it up in my external enclosure, fix the files that need to be fixed, then hope all works well.

Washington,D.C.
07-29-2005, 08:56
# Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
# When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below

This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

# Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
# Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
# Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair. If Repair is not one of the options, read this Warning#2!
# Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Washington,D.C.
07-29-2005, 09:01
The instructions say not to press any key to boot from CD when prompted.The setup will continue.

novium
07-29-2005, 09:47
I had the same problem with a box a few weeks ago. Would boot linux and other cd, but would hang on the "Press any key... " prompt. Once I clocked the bus down to where it was supposed to be. :( (not my brightest moment) I had to nab a spair cd rom I had floating around to get it to stop hanging up. Beats having a bunch of perfectly good xpsp2 cd's laying around for no good reason. Slap another cd rom in it and go to town.

SlammedDime
07-29-2005, 15:58
Originally posted by novium
I had to nab a spair cd rom I had floating around to get it to stop hanging up. Bingo! Changed out the CD-Rom in there with a spare I had laying around and presto, insta fix.

D.C. - I know all about the Repair Existing Installation that your instructions refer too, however thats not what I needed to get into. All I needed to do was replace the config\System file with a backup, hence why I needed the recovery console.

Everything is in working order now. Thanks for the assistance guys.

Washington,D.C.
07-30-2005, 08:34
I understand now.The times I've had problems getting the CD to boot was when there was more than one CD drive(such as two) or when the drive is set to cable select instead of master.I've fixed the first problem by disconecting the second drive and fixed the other by switching the drive's jumper to master.