Getting an Armscor [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Getting an Armscor

Kiddo
07-29-2005, 01:00
Hey BOGs! I finally got enough money and my dad will be placing an order for an Armscor M1911-A1 .45 blued on Monday. A few questions:
Is there anything that I should watch out for? Like are there serial numbers to avoid like in Glocks with the E series?
What should I check once the unit arrives? Parts?
Other concerns?

Thanks guys. :)

Eye Cutter
07-29-2005, 01:33
get the armscor hi-cap in .40 cal instead of a single stack. you'll be happier with a hi-cap, believe me.

jasonub
07-29-2005, 01:41
di na uso single stack so ditto on docs post

Kiddo
07-29-2005, 01:54
I'm an officer in ROTC kasi and most of the people including our tac. NCOs and officers pack single stacks, so magazine interchangeability is a plus. :)

Eye Cutter
07-29-2005, 02:47
so what kung ikaw lang naka hi-cap .40! malay mo, sila ang magpalit.

9MX
07-29-2005, 03:24
kiddo,

si jezz is also in the military but he is getting a .40 high cap as well. mas maganda ang .40 hi-cap so that if you decide to compete, you don't need to change your pistol or buy another one. unless you're competing in another division other than standard

bokbok_05
07-29-2005, 04:06
Ditto on all of them. Get the .40 cal hi cap. .40 din ang kinuha last gunshow as per their advised ^c

Kiddo
07-29-2005, 05:07
Hmm.. Puro .40 ang mga advice ah! I'll think it over. Anyway, what should I look out for when getting an armscor? What should I check in a 1911 after getting it?

jasonub
07-29-2005, 05:25
or get a 9mm high cap and put a cmore and add a comp ready for open division!!!!

royal glockster
07-29-2005, 07:34
Originally posted by Kiddo
Hmm.. Puro .40 ang mga advice ah! I'll think it over. Anyway, what should I look out for when getting an armscor? What should I check in a 1911 after getting it?

Now, if you really want the stopping power of .45acp get the armscor .45 hi-cap 1911a1. No problem, you have a defensive and competition pistol in standard division at the same time. :cool:

mc_oliver
07-29-2005, 08:01
Pogi pa rin singlestack.

But if you think one day maglalaro ka ng IPSC, go with the 40 widebody. Sa gunshow naman mura singlestack. Pwede pag-ipunan until Nov or next year. ;)

Toledo
07-29-2005, 15:50
I am also interested in Armscor in either 9mm or 38 super.
As I understand it, Armscor is also Rock Island Armory. I have
read great reviews of the RIA 45's. Please offer any impression
of the 9mm or the 38 super. Thanks in advance.

Chie
07-29-2005, 21:07
.40!... .40!... .40!... ~2

Allegra
07-29-2005, 22:09
Ako din, i like the old single stacks lalo na yung combat commander
Ewan ko lang, they are my fave

toxic
07-29-2005, 23:48
get them both para di ka malito;f

mikol
07-29-2005, 23:50
Originally posted by mc_oliver
Pogi pa rin singlestack.

But if you think one day maglalaro ka ng IPSC, go with the 40 widebody. Sa gunshow naman mura singlestack. Pwede pag-ipunan until Nov or next year. ;)

+1, but if the purpose of the said gun(for now)is for home defense, i'll get the cal .45 first then save again for your future competetion gun(.40 or 9mm)until the next gunshow. just my 2cents. ;f

asian_glockster
07-30-2005, 03:25
Kiddo,

I'm a product of the ROTC Program. I also competed in ROTC shooting competitions sponsored by the Army Reserve Command during my ROTC days. Pls PM me what ROTC Unit you came from.

Anyway, if youre going to ask me, I'll go for the .40.

bulm540
07-30-2005, 08:09
Originally posted by royal glockster
Now, if you really want the stopping power of .45acp get the armscor .45 hi-cap 1911a1. No problem, you have a defensive and competition pistol in standard division at the same time. :cool:
Just be sure you can reload in a flash.

9MX
07-30-2005, 09:20
Originally posted by jasonub
or get a 9mm high cap and put a cmore and add a comp ready for open division!!!!

uyyy naghahanap ng ka-team, 9mm Open!;f

Kiddo
07-31-2005, 01:11
Originally posted by asian_glockster
Kiddo,

I'm a product of the ROTC Program. I also competed in ROTC shooting competitions sponsored by the Army Reserve Command during my ROTC days. Pls PM me what ROTC Unit you came from.

Anyway, if youre going to ask me, I'll go for the .40.

Sir asian_glockster, I am currently in the Xavier University - Ateneo de Cagayan ROTC unit. Another BOG member is also a product of the same unit, Sir Kerwin. I am interested in how arescom conducts its shooting competitions, like format, etc. :) Anyway, will order the firarm tomorrow. I am still thinking of the single stack but am still open to options. I am leaning on the ss because of mag interchangeability kasi.

asian_glockster
07-31-2005, 04:22
Kiddo,

Is your ROTC Unit an Army ROTC Unit? Every year, ARESCOM conducts a shootfest for ROTC Cadets. It has two categories, the pistol (Cal .45) and rifle (M16) events. the pistol event uses the IPSC format. Elimination usually starts at CDC (local) level, during the start of second semester then at RCDG (regional) level then at ARESCOM (National level) at the last days of the second semester. Basic ROTC cadets or Advance ROTC cadets are the only participants allowed. Cal .45 is the dominant round used in ROTC. I used a single stack cal .45 colt during my days as a cadet officer, but now, I use a double column cal .45 Bul M5 pistol as my game gun but I am inclined to purchase a cal .40 pistol if my budget permits.

asian_glockster
07-31-2005, 04:25
If you will purchase a firearm, go for the high cap.

Kiddo
07-31-2005, 07:28
I have been comparing notes between single stacks and double stacks and here are the pros and cons that I came up with:

SS: less rounds, slimmer profile=better concealability at the same time a lighter weight, mag interchangeability, better magazine reliability, better manneuverability

DS pros: more rounds, heavier weight means less felt recoil but also means lesser concealability, lower mag interchangeability, lesser mag reliability, lesser manneuverability

If ever I choose the double stack, I would get one in .45 instead of the .40 since porty-payb is very widely available. In the end, still need ;4 deciding. BTW, this will be an all around gun, not only for competition. :)

BTW sir asian_glockster, our unit is under the Army. Which division do they put the firearms under? Standard? Do they follow all the rules in the IPSC rulebook or do they modify some? :)

asian_glockster
07-31-2005, 10:09
standard. they normally use IPSC rules but since this is not in any way sanctioned by PPSA, they could modify it.

at least right now you already have an idea whether or not it would be a single stack or double stack, cal .40 or cal .45.

if you intend to join or to participate in the ROTC Shootfest, just inform your commandant your intent or desire to do so.

are you in basic or advance ROTC?

Kiddo
07-31-2005, 18:12
I am in basic ROTC. Question, do double stacks need more tuning before they get reliable?

antediluvianist
07-31-2005, 20:27
I had an Armscor double-stack. Was not as reliable - some magazine feed problems - as my friend's single stack. But not a great difference, maybe 10%.

What i really didn't like about the double stack was its grip, relative to a single stack. My hands are big enough for the double stack's grip, but the single stack felt much more comfortable, and I could control the recoil better for second shots/general accuracy when firing multiple shots.

Still, the double stack is OK. Just try the single stack's grip before you buy the double stack.

If you think you will be doing one-hand shooting, get the single stack.

asian_glockster
07-31-2005, 21:56
i used to have an armscor hi-cap cal .45 pistol. i replaced the sights and put a BO-MAR Combat Sight, ed brown dovetail front sight, hammer, grip safety, sear, sear spring, disconnector (all ED BROWN parts). Trigger (Guncraft). 77 Barrel,magazine well, checkering and rounding of frontstrap and finally hard chroming it. basically, only the frame and slide remained as armscor.

i replaced the parts because my armscor gave me several problems. but my cousin bought the SS and he was very lucky! all he had to replace is the trigger, installed a magwell, checkering and recoil spring guide then he had it two toned.

that was almost 8 years ago. but right now, i heard that the quality of armscor has improved.

Bottomline, whether or not you get the SS or DS, just hope that your pistol will only need slight modifications, if not, youll just end up like me.:)

Kiddo
08-01-2005, 06:55
Ordered the single stack from our local shop today. I chose it because I am more comfy with the single stack's frame profile. Now for the 45 or so waiting period. ;a
Anyways, once I get the 1911, what should I check in it? Parts, Etc?

batangueno
08-01-2005, 09:13
Just go to the range and break it in. ;f

mc_oliver
08-01-2005, 09:17
Check if a double column mag fits. If not, replace the frame accordingly. ;f;f;f

kerwin
08-01-2005, 19:23
Hello Kiddo,

Congratulations on your new gun purchase. Will it be ready this Saturday? Im sure your Dad will be packing it for you while you are bleaching yourself in the soccerfield at XU.;) Your dad wanted to get one (single stack 1911)for you daw... hehehe, i will not be surprised if you end up packing the CZ instead.

Don't worry about your 1911, don't change anything yet... try mo muna sa range yan.

:cool:

Dok
08-01-2005, 19:47
what usually breaks in the internal parts of armscor? i have a unit also coming this month.:)

i read a thread about the internal parts of armscor, cant seem to find it.

Kiddo
08-02-2005, 05:21
Thanks sir Kerwin. :) Not more than 45 days waiting period daw, so it will be here at about mid September pa. 2/3 of the amount was from my savings, and 1/3 from my dad. Hehe. Cant wait to get it. :cool:

mc_oliver
08-02-2005, 20:24
Originally posted by Dok
what usually breaks in the internal parts of armscor? i have a unit also coming this month.:)

i read a thread about the internal parts of armscor, cant seem to find it.
Replace the sear, hammer and firing pin stop. But kung nagtitipid ka, they'll work fine for a while. Just try not to force a sub 2# pull on them kasi madali maging unsafe.

The trigger pad is steel. If you don't like the feel, replace it with an aluminum pad.

Also, spend a little on reliability tuning ng smith. It'll save you on a lot of heartaches and disappointmanets later on.

;)

Dok
08-02-2005, 23:19
tnx mc_o!;)

Kiddo
08-03-2005, 06:59
mc_o, did you replace the extended slide stop on your armscor with a standard one? Why replace the sear, hammer and firing pin stop and what brand/how much are these parts?

mc_oliver
08-03-2005, 07:26
The extended slide stop will work. I just had mine cut and shortened kasi ayoko yung extended. I use it as spare. The one I use now is oversized para fit sa lock-up ng barrel. Sa sobrang tigas (EGW), yung barrel ang nag peen.

The sear doesn't hold an edge so mabilis pumangit yung low-weight trigger pull. Nabibiyak din to pag bumabagsak sa half cock yung hammer palagi.

The same with the FP stop. Kung naka bomar ka at shortened yung top nito, mabilis mabiyak.

The hammer naman ang sama ng hooks area. The same quality ng sear. If your trigger pull is in the 5# range, they could work. But if you want to lower the trigger pull and keep it crisp, they won't hold up.

For the hammer, any of the aftermarket ones will do like STI, EB, EE, etc.

Sa sear, EGW the best daw but I use the colt ultra hard.

EGW naman for the FP stop kasi you start with a square one na over-sized pa. Easier to custom fit in your gun for recoil feel.

bokbok_05
08-03-2005, 07:30
Sorry for hijacking the thread. I just like you guys to know that I picked up the Armscor .40 that I bought at SB last gunshow. Makinis naman ang finish and it passed all the safety test. It comes with two Mecgar mags but it has a stamped "armscor" at the bottom. Mabigat ng konti ang trigger pull and the slide to frame fit is a bit loose...barrel to slide is tight (dapat lang). Overall it is okay. I-test ko muna for at least 200rnds before ko pagalaw sa gunsmith. Thanks for reading. I'll post the range report kapag na-test fire ko na.

DocEC - intay ko lang PTT ko then kita tayo sa PB. ;f

Eye Cutter
08-03-2005, 07:34
ok! break in mo muna. time to get 1 or 2 extra magazines na rin.

2-tone ba kinuha mo or blue?

pictures please!

bokbok_05
08-03-2005, 07:42
Doc,

2tone nakuha ko. Yun na lang daw kasi ang available na unit. Ang pangit pala ng plastic grip!!!! Parang mumurahin na plastic na nabibili sa palengke...anyway madali naman palitan yun. To follow na pics, nasa celphone ko pa..pa develop ko muna. In fairness, maganda pala stainless na frame. Any comments sa stainless na frame??

Eye Cutter
08-03-2005, 08:13
i don't know if armscor has a stainless frame. baka carbon steel na hard chromed lang. ang ganda na ng quality ng ng armscor compared to a few years ago.

ask Chie how he made his custom armscor grips. maganda yung texture pattern ng grips niya

theTactician
08-09-2005, 01:11
can i ask whats wrong with glocks with serial number's with the letter "E" on it? thanks

batangueno
08-09-2005, 19:39
Originally posted by theTactician
can i ask whats wrong with glocks with serial number's with the letter "E" on it? thanks
Problems with the frame rail. But not all pistols starting with "E" only some. You have to check with Glock Inc. if the specific pistol is affected.

MELBU
08-09-2005, 20:07
Use it first before you modify or change anything.

Learn how to use the first gun before putting in accesories.

Wag mong palitan ang parts kung hindi naman sira....Unless
dami ka datung hehehehe

Goodluck Kiddo! Happy shooting!

ilocano
09-05-2005, 01:08
Originally posted by jasonub

sorry for my ignorance. but how do you "add a comp" in this set-up? is it a whole barrel altogether. or do you simply imstall it via a thread na parang silencer?

jasonub
09-05-2005, 05:34
you can buy a cone type comp. then the smith will just thread the barrel. or you can have a smith install one of their own design. metrillo will cut your slide, install their comp. and thread you barrel to accept the comp.

gunfool
09-07-2005, 00:50
My armscor 40 has come as well. In fact na fine tune na nang gunsmith ko at may konting modification na rin like mag guide, checkering, flattened yung slide, trigger job and slide fitting. Kulang pa nang bomar sight at chroming. Tried na rin 200 rounds of FMJ (no jam) and another 200 rounds reloads, nag FTF isang beses but that was ammo related problem for sure. Grouping was 1" at 7 meters and 2" to 3" at 15 meters and all alpha. Try ko rin sa plates at 15 meters, bagsak yung 4 plates with 4 rounds only. So what else could I ask for my cheap armscor?

JuDGe
09-07-2005, 00:59
so let the fun begin! we'll see you at the matches!

;f ;f ;f ;f ;f

9MX
09-07-2005, 01:04
Originally posted by gunfool
So what else could I ask for my cheap armscor?

an initial dose of level 1 matches;c

gunfool
09-07-2005, 03:14
Originally posted by JuDGe
so let the fun begin! we'll see you at the matches!

;f ;f ;f ;f ;f kulang pa nang mag at rig judge. iba talaga 1911 ang sarap itama. ;f ;f ;f

gunfool
09-07-2005, 03:17
Originally posted by 9MX
an initial dose of level 1 matches;c oo nga pala sir kelangang binyagan kaagad to kahit level 1 man lang. kaya lang ala pa akong pang 1911 hi-cap na rig at kulang pa ako ng dalawang mag.

batangueno
09-07-2005, 07:11
Originally posted by gunfool
oo nga pala sir kelangang binyagan kaagad to kahit level 1 man lang. kaya lang ala pa akong pang 1911 hi-cap na rig at kulang pa ako ng dalawang mag.
Order ka na ng JR holters and pouches. ;f

9MX
09-07-2005, 08:16
Originally posted by batangueno
Order ka na ng JR holters... . ;f

correction, its holter!;N

mikol
09-07-2005, 08:43
Originally posted by 9MX
correction, its holter!;N
mga boyoy, it's hoister. ;g ;)

Vault Keeper
09-07-2005, 20:19
Was reading the papers earlier and its the first time after so many years that I came across a paid ad from a firearms company. Armscor advertising the new MAPP1 FS Pistol Polymern Frame.

I remember so many years back, the first time I saw Glock in the newspaper. And instantly wanted to get one for myself (I really fell in love with it...love at first site;3 . But was only able to get one years after...(hehehe not money no honey...:ladiesmn: . hope this is the signal of liberalizing again of the PTC's...knock knock PGMA ^d (para di na sumama BOGs sa rally...LoL ;f)

Nano Cacho III
09-11-2005, 08:25
Originally posted by Toledo
I am also interested in Armscor in either 9mm or 38 super.
As I understand it, Armscor is also Rock Island Armory. I have
read great reviews of the RIA 45's. Please offer any impression
of the 9mm or the 38 super. Thanks in advance.

"Rock Island Armory" is the Armscor "GI" made specifically for Twin Pines. Most Armscos are good guns. As to how good it is, unless you detail strip it and look at all the parts and fire the gun you will not be able to tell. A basic M1911 function and safety check will suffice.

As to Hi Cap vs Single Stack: It depends on how it feels in your hands. If a Hi Cap is too big go single stack. Though an Armscor Hi Cap can be worked on to be no thicker than a Single Stack.

As to 40S&W vs .45ACP: In my experience many shooters compete with a .40S&W but carry a .45ACP. Specially true when I was in Mindanao.

As to 9mm and .38 Super: .38 Supers are more potent than 9mms. But .40S&W and .45ACPs are better.

Remember this: In the hands of a trained (Practiced Shooter) a .22LR can be deadlier than a .45ACP in untrained hands.

Best to try both. Borrow from your friends, buy the ammo and go to the range and shoot a few rounds and see how it feels.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Nano