How do you practice with 2 or more guns? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you practice with 2 or more guns?

mirko128
07-29-2005, 08:41
Me and my shooting buddy were at the range yesterday morning (Armscor).

I had with me my 2 guns, a Glock 21 and a Norinco gov't model.

I shot the Glock first, 100 rounds. I don't know if it was the lack of recent dry fire practice or the slight fatigue from just coming from the office (night shift! I always seem to have to struggle with lack of sleep ;g ), but by the time I was shooting the 1911, I was really feeling the difference between the 2 guns and was shooting terribly.

The Norinco is newer so I've been mixing the 2 just for a couple of range sessions so far.

I know a lot of you folks have at least 2 guns. Can you offer any advice? Should I be sticking to one type first and not mixing them during practice? Or does it really matter, as long as I do maybe dry firing?

gaptoof
07-29-2005, 09:58
I have 12 pistols. I have found that the more of them I shoot in one session, the worse I shoot. The different trigger weights and pull lengths and feel of the guns make a difference for me. If i am shooting and want to be accurate I only shoot one at a time.

revo
07-29-2005, 10:15
I confirm your observations.

There are some basic rules that you have to follow in order to shoot ANY gun accurately.

However, each style of gun is operated a bit differently because of differences in design.

For example, while Glocks are rather sensitive to limp-wristing, 1911s are not.

H&Ks and SIGs invariably shoot well as long as you follow the fundamentals. Glocks need a bit more finesse due to the nature of trigger.

jasonub
07-29-2005, 10:23
never had a problem with multiple pistols/ rifles in 1 range session.

just get the fundamentals right and you will hit the target/s

mirko128
07-29-2005, 14:24
I hear you guys. I think I'll stick with one gun for a while, get the fundamentals right, and do lots of dry fire practice.

vega
07-29-2005, 15:18
Originally posted by mirko128
I had with me my 2 guns, a Glock 21 and a Norinco gov't model.

Easy, one on left and the other one on right. Put the 1911 on your right so you can activate the safety.;)

Seriously, you went to Armscor to plink and shoot not to practice. By practice you mean, complete competition gear so you can also practice your draw.

vega

mirko128
07-29-2005, 15:46
Originally posted by vega
Seriously, you went to Armscor to plink and shoot not to practice. By practice you mean, complete competition gear so you can also practice your draw.

Yup. Just gotten used to the word "practice". It's my excuse to my toddler son whenever I go out to shoot..."Dad's going to go practice..." ;f

mc_oliver
07-29-2005, 19:00
When shooting different guns, understand that they are...well, different. Even if all of them are of the same platform, they'll still feel different (to some extent).

If you shoot one with the expectation that it will shoot like the other, that's a sure way to the road of disappointment.

When shooting the 1911, treat it like one. Learn to work the "extra" controls it provides and learn to adapt your grip to it.

If you're using the glock, understand that it's one. And the biggest change you need to do coming from the 1911 is the grip angle.

More importantly, both guns will recoil very differently in your hands. More so if you're shooting different calibers. The triggers will also be vastly different.

So what do you do? Nothing. Basics are still the same. Work the trigger just enough to insure your sights don't deviate too much from your intended sight picture.

Understand, learn and adapt. Don't judge. Just observe.;)

MELBU
07-31-2005, 04:37
How do you practice with 2 or more guns?

It's easy actually, just choose which gun you like to shoot first
and after you finish shooting with it rest and relax for 30 mins
then shoot with your other gun.
If you practice shooting when youre tired and have no sleep,
definitely your shooting will be terrible.

For a gun hobbyist like me, i practice with my factory stock
SigP226 because i like to compete in production class competitions.
I practice with my 1911 because i compete in standard divisions.
I practice with my revolver for revolver competitions.
I practice with my Ar15 rifle coz i compete in rifle matches too.

I like joining competitions and clubshoots to train myself in gun
discipline under pressure.