***Wireless Router question....PLEASE HELP! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : ***Wireless Router question....PLEASE HELP!

illuminate100
07-30-2005, 00:21
Ok, so I can't get DSL at the new place, so I get charter cable. I buy a Linksys WGC200 modem/router two in one deal. I set it up and everything is working great, problem is I can't figure out how to encrypt my wireless signal because there is no software installed for the modem/router.

I followed the instruction which said to plug everything in and then turn it on...then put in the CD. Well, the CD seems to only have a user guide and the drivers for the USB cable, which I don't use since I have an ethernet port and therefore use the ethernet cable. So what gives? When I had DSL the modem/router had software that walked me through the thing. A

ny help would be GREATLY appreciated. I don't want people stealing my connection or personal info. I checked for drivers/software online but there isn't any, including the linksys website. I also tried messing with the network connection settings, but the only settings I can adjust are the LAN settings on my desktop. I looked at the laptop settings, but I don't know that I would do it from there.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

-Dan

saber41
07-30-2005, 00:49
You should be able to configure your router through the web based utility.

Open your browser, in the address line type 192.168.0.1, then press the "enter" key.
You should get a log on screen,
default username: leave blank
default password: "admin" (its a good idea to change the default p/w on the router)

from here look for the "wireless" tab, you should be able to set your encryption levels here.

GTIMANiac
07-30-2005, 01:08
Personally I just filter on MAC Address and disable SSID broadcast. The MAC filtering alone should be good enough in most cases.

http://www.linksysinfo.org/

illuminate100
07-30-2005, 20:27
A thank you to everyone who has posted, and I mean that. I am not currently at home, but when I get there tonight I am going to follow these steps. I will post my progress.

-Dan