need help on rust prevention [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : need help on rust prevention

vhin524
07-30-2005, 23:22
guys need your advise.... i noticed what appears to be rust forming on my cz barrel tip and inside the slide where the barrel rests..... is this really rust? what can you advise to prevent the aggravation of the rust?.... should i just leave it and need not worry about it?.... tnx again.... i really hate seeing rust on my gun

here are the pics of the barrel tip and the inside of the slide:

vhin524
07-30-2005, 23:23
and this is the inside of the slide

PMMA97
07-31-2005, 00:29
I have those too on my CZ two tone.

isuzu
07-31-2005, 00:43
Originally posted by vhin524
and this is the inside of the slide

Did you mean the inside of the barrel? What you could do with the outside of the barrel is to bring it to a gunsmith and have it buffed. I wouldn't want to use sandpaper in it. Just use a cloth buffer and don't overbuff it. The purpose of this is that you don't want to lose a lot of metal on that area, because that area touches the slide and that could affect accuracy to a certain extent if the external of the barrel is out of shape. Don't forget to keep it oiled at all times. A good gunsmith could chrome the outside of the barrel, provided he plugs the barrel to prevent the chrome from entering the rifling which again, will affect accuracy.

As for the inside of the barrel, you can't do anything about it as far as I'm concerned. Getting the rust out of it might affect accuracy. What you can do though, is to put a light coat of oil inside the barrel when storing your firearm to prevent rust.

Storing your firearm in a foam-lined case for long periods of time is also a no no. We have high humidiy in the Philippines, and foam certainly attracts humidity.

i_am_infinity
07-31-2005, 01:49
like what isuzu said, have it buffed and buy birchwood and casey Sheath rust preventer...works for me..been using it for years!!

mc_oliver
07-31-2005, 02:57
Iputok mo ng iputok yan dre. ;)

cebuboy
07-31-2005, 05:36
the barrel of my cz looks like that too when i bought it(second hand), obviously the owner did not took good care of the gun. the bore is fouled and the gun is bone dry. i just cleaned and lubricated it. played with it for some time. and the rust seems to go away the more i shoot it:)

jasonub
07-31-2005, 07:17
grease

btoler
07-31-2005, 07:43
are you using corrosive ammo? If so you might want to use a 50/50 amonia/water mixture to clean the barrle after shooting then do your normal cleaning routine and lube.

vhin524
07-31-2005, 09:43
Originally posted by isuzu
Did you mean the inside of the barrel?

no, its really the inside of the slide.... its the part were the barrel protrudes.... i suspect that the corrosion on the outside part of the barrel occured the same time as inside the slide.... maybe the old owner (btw bought it 2nd hand din) didnt clean the gun that often and at times when carried it, some sweat found its way between the barrel and the slide and stayed there for a long time ( coupled with seldom cleaning) corroded the barrel and the slide... tnx again guys for your advise.......another question, do you think i would just be better of if i took the gun to a good gunsmith and refinished the whole gun? say with... black chrome?

Mang Danny
07-31-2005, 10:42
The photos are clear enough, looks like pitting. Yung bang kinain na nang kalawang. A lot of carry guns have similar blemishes especialy when using IWB holsters. Try to clean it up with your favorite solutions using a brass brush then cold blue it. Refinishing is an expensive but good option. Enjoy your gun.

isuzu
07-31-2005, 23:22
Originally posted by vhin524
no, its really the inside of the slide.... its the part were the barrel protrudes.... i suspect that the corrosion on the outside part of the barrel occured the same time as inside the slide.... maybe the old owner (btw bought it 2nd hand din) didnt clean the gun that often and at times when carried it, some sweat found its way between the barrel and the slide and stayed there for a long time ( coupled with seldom cleaning) corroded the barrel and the slide... tnx again guys for your advise.......another question, do you think i would just be better of if i took the gun to a good gunsmith and refinished the whole gun? say with... black chrome?

I saw the other picture and corrosion also affected the tip of your barrel. Just leave it. Don't even try to get the rust out of it using abrasives. It could ruin the barrel.

If you carry it a lot, yes. Black chrome is the way to go. However, don't forget to take care of the inside of the barrel. Light oil would be sufficient to protect the barrel provided you don't get the oil in the chamber. Oil will contaminate the round in the chamber.

If the corrosion on the outside of the barrel doesn't bother you, just leave it. Over buffing could loosen the barrel to bushing fit and could affect your accuracy. If you plan to have the outside of your barrel chromed, make it a point that the gunsmith plugs the barrel well. Any chroming material that leaks inside the rifling will definitely affect accuracy.

Allegra
07-31-2005, 23:58
ahihihi just saw the pics
Parang x10 ang lala nung akin
The last time i cleaned mine was errr.... 2years ago?
Probably has 1000+ rnds thru it give or take a few hundred since it's last been washed pwede na nga mag culture ng kabuti sa loob
I just spray wd40 and make wisik and it's gtg :)
I'm not particular about how my gun looks nga lang YMMV

vhin524
08-01-2005, 03:05
tnx a lot guys for your inputs..... really helped a lot!!!

isuzu
08-06-2005, 00:54
Originally posted by Allegra
ahihihi just saw the pics
Parang x10 ang lala nung akin
The last time i cleaned mine was errr.... 2years ago?
Probably has 1000+ rnds thru it give or take a few hundred since it's last been washed pwede na nga mag culture ng kabuti sa loob
I just spray wd40 and make wisik and it's gtg :)
I'm not particular about how my gun looks nga lang YMMV

I hope you're not using it for carry.;L Kerosene is a good cleaner too. Diesel if you want a little lubrication. If it's being used for competition, ok lang. Soak it in kerosene or diesel fuel, and you would be fine.

Allegra
08-06-2005, 04:02
Originally posted by isuzu
I hope you're not using it for carry.;L Kerosene is a good cleaner too. Diesel if you want a little lubrication. If it's being used for competition, ok lang. Soak it in kerosene or diesel fuel, and you would be fine.

Thanx!

isuzu
08-06-2005, 10:15
Originally posted by Allegra
Thanx!

Hey, no problem! We're here to learn from each other, share ideas, and most of all, have fun! Have a good weekend!;Y