Windows Home Network....What am I missing here. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows Home Network....What am I missing here.

Wulfenite
07-31-2005, 16:33
My mom has a desktop and a laptop that I'm trying to get to talk to eachouther through a linksys wireless router. The net connection is sharing fine but I cant make the two 'puters file share or printer share. I ran the network setup wizard on both machines but when you look for the other machine on the network you cant see it. Seems like this should be easier than it is.

Jwickersham
07-31-2005, 17:21
Did you set up shares on each computer, so that the system knows what is available.

Wulfenite
07-31-2005, 17:30
Yes, there's something shared on each machine including the printer on the desktop.

SomeGuyInAHat
07-31-2005, 18:10
Are both computers in the same workgroup?

Wulfenite
07-31-2005, 19:49
Yeah, I left the default "MSHOME".

One is XP and the other is Mellinium Edition. Does that change anything.

ronin_asano
07-31-2005, 19:58
Originally posted by Wulfenite
Yeah, I left the default "MSHOME".

One is XP and the other is Mellinium Edition. Does that change anything.

yes, it can. depends on how you have your xp file sharing set up.

why don't you try pinging one machine from the other to verify you have connectivity.

pyblood
08-01-2005, 10:48
Make sure that you have all firewalls disabled (even the XP one). Try this. Go to start and select run. Type \\computername Replace computername with the name of the other computer. This will let you know if they can “see each other.”

Washington,D.C.
08-01-2005, 10:57
With an ME and an XP use the XP to set up the network.

fastvfr
08-05-2005, 16:23
This is an easy fix.

Stop using ME!!!

Put XP on both machines and see if the problem doesn't vanish.

Wulfenite
08-05-2005, 16:50
Its my mom's machine. I dont have a lot of control over it. The desktop with me on it is at the end of its usefull life anyway so....

I've bookmarked this thread so next time I'm down visiting I can work on it some more.

srhoades
08-05-2005, 17:57
At one of my previous jobs I was sorta a backup sys admin. For whatever reason there was one workstation that was ME and it refused to work on the network like it should have.

silentwolf2002
08-05-2005, 20:25
You should be able to see the shares on the windows XP machine from the Windows ME machine but u will not be able to access them inless you have a user name excatley the same as the user name on the windows me machine on the windows XP machine also..... this is one of the many downfalls of Windows ME and before.......

CalGlock
08-06-2005, 03:58
Originally posted by Wulfenite
Its my mom's machine. I dont have a lot of control over it. The desktop with me on it is at the end of its usefull life anyway so....

I've bookmarked this thread so next time I'm down visiting I can work on it some more. If your still having the same problem maybe I can help.
I was having the same problem as you. I had done this once before and it worked but something weird I had to do to get it to work and didn't remeber what it was.
So I had reformated my system and tryed so many times I finally gave up. Untill i read what was goin on with yours. So I desided to try it again to see what it was that made it work. It Took me awhile but here is how I got it to work again. That part where it says you need to use the same name in order for it to work. Well I made them different then it started working. I don't get it but maybe it will work for you. Good luck ;) Recap: Then I changed the names again like it was supposed to be and it worked. Seems I need to send from the first pc to the other one first to get them to work both ways. But I'm using a crossover cable so maybe thats way. Hope this may help. You got me to get mine going after reading your problem. After I gave up. So thanks.
;a ;)

David_G17
08-08-2005, 15:07
Originally posted by pyblood
Make sure that you have all firewalls disabled (even the XP one)...”

Make sure you do this!

that gave me many headaches when i was doing something similar.

the XP firewall is turned on by default with service pack 2 IIRC.