IE 7 beta [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IE 7 beta

funbob
07-31-2005, 17:01
Anyone gotten there hands on a copy and played around with it? Impressions? It has tabbed browsing now, page rendering is fast, it supports downloadable addons ala Firefox, RSS support is there, it has an automatic phishing filter that I like a lot. Nothing really revolutionary though. It just feels like a long overdue update for IE. Considering how little has been changed, I'm scratching my head wondering what took them so long and why they have to go through such an extensive beta testing phase.

I don't like the layout of the toolbars and I especially don't like the fact I can't move the menu bar to the top where it belongs. It feels weird having it at the bottom. The browser tabs are a little clumsy too. CSS support is still awful.

Oh yeah, one more thing, it'll only run on XP SP2 or higher. And you have to validate your copy of Windows. I don't really have a problem with that as unless you have a very old computer, nobody should be running anything older than Win2K anyway and my copy of Windows is legit. Would've been nice if they had let Win2K into the club though.

edit: don't install it unless you really know what you're doing. It messes up Windows Update.

Blazen
08-01-2005, 14:43
I have it installed, but have not had time to play with it much yet. But from what I have played with, I also don't like the tool bar layouts.

I would install it in a VMware or some other VM program if you can. This way you don't risk blowing up your computer.

Windows Vista is a whole other animal....

Harlequin
08-03-2005, 19:55
IE is now and always will be a Firefox wannabe.

Clyde
08-03-2005, 20:13
Broke Trillian and Avant Browser - On my XP Box

Playing with Vista - See what happens :)

Harlequin
08-07-2005, 06:25
Avant is basically a tweaked IE, so no great loss there.

funbob
08-07-2005, 08:57
Windows Update is fixed. Guess they just had to tweak something on their end. After playing with it for a week, I'm not impressed. It offers no compelling reason to switch from Firefox. I was expecting a bit more innovation. They've certainly had enough time to think about it. I'll keep it installed because it seems to work fine and I don't want to go through the hassle of reverting back to IE6.